Author Topic: Campsites for groups  (Read 911 times)

Tucker

Campsites for groups
« on: 15:48:41, 19/01/20 »
Hello Everyone

I am organising a group walk for May this year with a group of friends...There is about 8-10 of us, all male in our 40s....I was thinking about Scafell Pike or the Langdale Pikes but i am struggling to find a campsite that will take a group the size of my party all in one large tent...We are not a rowdy group but we do like a couple of evening beers and a game of cards to wind down after a day on the hills...I was wondering if anybody has any recommendations for sites that would accommodate us...If we cant find one in the lakes we have a couple of horse shoe walks in snowdonia on mind as a back up plan around the Ogwen Valley (Glyders or Carnedds) so if anybody can think of a good base in that area i would be gratefull....Other recommended walks and campsites or experiences welcome...

Cheers

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Campsites for groups
« Reply #1 on: 15:52:12, 19/01/20 »
Welcome to the forum, Tucker.

I would have thought that the National Trust campsite at Wasdale Head would take a large group - I believe that they will take bell tents, for example.

EDIT or maybe not - "Please note: in order to preserve the peaceful nature of this site, parties of more than 4 adults are not accepted".

Anyway https://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/ is the place to go - I particularly like their clickable map.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:40:20, 19/01/20 »
Welcome from Manchester  :)

We are not a rowdy group ...
That's what they all say  ;D

Seriously, more and more campsites are laying down rules to prevent rowdiness. Some won't accept solo campers either, having been fooled by several of them booking in solo and then forming the group later, and they stipulate families and couples only. Check beforehand!.

Tucker

« Reply #3 on: 18:49:31, 19/01/20 »
We did Ben Nevis a couple of years ago and all was good.....Same group of lads/fellas we camped on Glen Nevis campsight across the road from the start of the most popular (tourist) route...The site had a seperate field for groups and we had a brilliant weekend....Few pints in Fort William after the Ben we are just looking for a similar trip but we are struggling for a base....We could blag the numbers but we are turning up with a 10 man tent ;D

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:36:04, 19/01/20 »
I stayed there a couple of years ago.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:20:32, 19/01/20 »
Perhaps try Chapel Farm, Stonethwaite. or the other site (don'y know the name) just along the road from the pub.

Tucker

« Reply #6 on: 09:15:27, 20/01/20 »
Cheers Everyone

I will take a look at the Chapel Farm one and check out their rules on group camping...Im pretty sure i stayed at Baysbrown farm about 10 years ago with wirk colleagues vut we had to come over the Hard knott pass from Scafell Pike and i dont fancy doing that in a Mini bus :-\

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 08:11:32, 21/01/20 »
A bit out of your area, but why not give Moss Howe campsite in the SE Lakes a call? Not near any big hills, but you could drive up to Patterdale or Troutbeck for the day easily enough. And there's plenty of interesting walking from the site (for example - http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=39681.0)

We stayed last year, and there were groups staying in large tents. We were really taken by the spot - beautiful location in a quiet valley, and they were very laid back - camp fires and dogs allowed. Excellent pub about half an hour's walk away (Derby Arms).

https://mosshowefarm.co.uk/

strawy

« Reply #8 on: 20:39:11, 21/01/20 »
Perhaps try Chapel Farm, Stonethwaite. or the other site (don'y know the name) just along the road from the pub.
Oh no,dont advertise it,keep it quiet,one of the best sites in the lakes  :-X

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy