Author Topic: The Birds, the birds.  (Read 49483 times)

Owen

• Veteran Member
Re: The Birds, the birds.
« Reply #15 on: 11:34:25, 07/04/19 »
. A tripod or monopod can be a great help in getting sharper shots, although these can can get in the way of getting birds in flight. Taking the camera out of auto mode is a must, so that you can balance shutter speed, aperture and ISO and achieve the best results.

The photos in this thread were taken from a hide. I used a beanbag on the window sill to support the camera, more flexible than a tripod. Had the camera set on shutter priority 1/1000 second and Al servo.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 19:07:31, 07/04/19 »
Nice photos Owen O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 20:09:29, 07/04/19 »

The photos in this thread were taken from a hide. I used a beanbag on the window sill to support the camera, more flexible than a tripod. Had the camera set on shutter priority 1/1000 second and Al servo.

You are right. Bean bags can be more flexible, if you can find somewhere to set them. They are also much easier to carry on a walk than a tripod or monopod. I have managed 8 miles with a monopod mounted to a camera and lens combination with total weight of about 5kg. You don’t want to do that many days in a row, but the results are worth it.

Shutter speed of 1/1000 should stop motion blur from the camera and you wouldn’t need image stabilisation on. Small birds can move incredibly quickly though and I have had birds blur themselves at 1/2000. On the other hand I have achieved sharp shots at low shutter speeds in low light if the bird decides to stay still.

Have you tried removing the focus from the shutter button and assigning it to a button on the back of the camera (if the camera allows this)? I have found this gives greater control and was recommended this by professional photographers. It can take some getting used to.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 20:17:59, 07/04/19 »
I looked at back button focus a while back but couldn't really get my head around it. I've not long gone from mkII to the mkIV and I'm still finding my way with it.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 23:04:27, 07/04/19 »
Back button focus with AI Servo allows easy focus lock (by removing finger from back button), continuous focus and quick focus pumping to reacquire the subject. I got lots of OOF shots early on due to forgetting that the shutter button didn’t focus any more.

Yorci

« Reply #20 on: 09:46:57, 22/04/20 »
The birds are being sneaky, they keep snaffling my nuts as I keep filling the bird station, the only near visitor that I've seen is a blackbird in the tree in my neighbours garden. I might have to get out a bit earlier.

The Common Blackbird

Leave only footprints, take only memories and photographs.
Life is short, time is fast, no re-play or rewind, enjoy every moment and make it count.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 11:19:36, 22/04/20 »
Why do birds always look away as you press the shutter?
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 11:44:36, 22/04/20 »
Why do birds always look away as you press the shutter?

For the same reason butterflies always fly off  :)

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 11:47:36, 22/04/20 »
When I took the dog round the block last night a Robin followed us down the road hopping from gatepost to gatepost. Unfortunately it’s not easy to operate a camera while holding a lead and a bag of poo.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 16:12:12, 26/04/20 »
Having a tea time bath today.

A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 18:51:52, 26/04/20 »
Garden birds are such a delight. They really keep me happy and sane during lockdown.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 18:54:07, 26/04/20 »
Having a tea time bath today.

I really like that picture. It's so dynamic!
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 19:00:12, 26/04/20 »
Thanks.
My wife puts egg shells down to stop the slugs eating the plants . I don`t think it works but anyway...I watched as a magpie ate some of the broken shells and while eating them allowed me to stand unusually close , while keeping an eye on me.

The birds are very active this time of year too.  O0

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 09:37:23, 27/04/20 »
Sitting quietly in a small bluebell wood listening to the birds yesterday a movement caught my eye,  a black and white face peeping out of a hole in a tree trunk then I was treated to Mr & Mrs Greater Spotted Woodpecker having a natter while changing shifts in the nest.
I completed my walk with a big soppy grin on my face.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 09:58:41, 27/04/20 »
Sitting quietly in a small bluebell wood listening to the birds yesterday a movement caught my eye,  a black and white face peeping out of a hole in a tree trunk then I was treated to Mr & Mrs Greater Spotted Woodpecker having a natter while changing shifts in the nest.
I completed my walk with a big soppy grin on my face.
A special moment.  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy