Author Topic: I've made purchasing mistakes. Have you?  (Read 6607 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
I've made purchasing mistakes. Have you?
« on: 10:41:25, 29/10/17 »
I've been going through all of the clothing and equipment I've bought for camping and hiking and have begun to throw out the purchasing mistakes I've made. For example, I went through a period when I concentrated on buying, comparing and contrasting baselayers. My mistake was to buy an Odlo synthetic elasticated tight fitting one. I really hate it, it makes me feel like I'm the contents of a sausage skin, the material clings to every part of my torso and arms and I just can't live with it any more. I can only comfortable in a looser fitting garment.

I've also had a throw out of a few pairs of hiking socks. Its difficult to pin down why they just don't work for me, but they just don't work! One pair for example, feels like I am permanently walking on a ridge under the balls of my feet. As I run my fingers over the material there is definitely no ridge. I've concluded that the material just tends to bunch up as I walk. They are already in the bin.

I have also disposed of my Lightwave Fastpack 50L. It is a good rucksack and well made, but it just never seemed to fit me properly, no matter how I tried to 'tweak' it, after about 4-5 days I always ended up with sore and raw shoulders.

I will continue to sort out my stuff over the next few days, I'm sure I'll find more to throw out.

fernman

• Veteran Member
Re: I've made purchasing mistakes. Have you?
« Reply #1 on: 12:15:13, 29/10/17 »
I empathise with you on the rucksack.

I bought online a Lowe Alpine Trail 35, it was a lovely product, nicely made, fitted well and felt comfortable, but I didn't know when buying that although it was green colour everything inside it (main compartment, pockets, lid) was bright orange, which I just couldn't stand. (I believe they've changed their product description in that respect since I took it up with them.)

After returning it unused I replaced it with a Vaude Jura 30, again bought online. It's another well made item, colours perfect for me this time, but there's something about it when I'm carrying it that just doesn't feel right; in spite of readjustments it doesn't seem comfortable enough. It's difficult to put into words, but unlike my previous couple of daysacks (Berghaus and a cheapo Chinese one), together with the feel of the above-mentioned LA Trail, I'm too conscious of it being on my shoulders, back and hips, rather than almost forgetting it's there.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:48:26, 29/10/17 »
I’ve made the classic error of buying far more things that I actually need.

The number of times I’ve resolved to not buy any more kit until something I use actually wears out...then see something I really like, so buy it...suggests my will power is not 100 percent.

For example, I’ve got a 25l sack, and 45l sack both of which I use often, both in usable condition, and may well last me years yet. But I’ve got another sack..a 45l Osprey Mutant, bought two years ago, never used.

But can’t remember buying any walking kit that on use I disliked so much I’ve got rid of it. But I may be “blanking my memory” to make me feel more cheerful.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:39:40, 29/10/17 »
But can’t remember buying any walking kit that on use I disliked so much I’ve got rid of it. But I may be “blanking my memory” to make me feel more cheerful.

Hmm, things are coming back to my mind now!

There was a sleeping bag that looked good on paper but in use wasn't warm enough for me, so I sold it on a certain well-known auction site, practically brand new. The bidding was fast and furious, with the eventual buyer getting it for a good price. But the thing is, I had managed to buy it at such a massive discount that I unintentionally made a profit on it.

This was offset by making a big loss on an unused self-inflating ground mat that I bought in too much haste and then decided I could get something much lighter weight. But I was glad to get it out of the way.

The longer I think about it, the more items I shall probably remember, such as the laminated pile jacket that was nice and warm but turned out to be too stiff, bulky and heavy. It is good to wear for outdoor jobs and gardening when it's cold, though!

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:39:09, 29/10/17 »
I prefer to think of my purchasing mistakes as a learning curve for what I DON'T want  ;D

My main one is buying rucksacks which are wayyyyy too big for what I need.

..  Oh, and trousers with no stretch in them.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:20:09, 30/10/17 »
I prefer to think of my purchasing mistakes as a learning curve for what I DON'T want  ;D

Good thinking, Mel.

GWM - I hope all those discards are going to charity, not literally into the bin, as even if they don't sell them they'll get sold on and recycled.

« Last Edit: 12:49:26, 30/10/17 by Jac »
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 09:21:29, 30/10/17 »
I bought some UnderArmor underwear as they were cheap in the outlet park near us.

Awful. I had nappy rash after a long walk in warm weather.

My usual mistake is buying something cheap as I’m too impatient to wait until I can afford the expensive version. Of course I buy the expensive version at a later date. Classic false economy.

Another_Smith

« Reply #7 on: 09:26:58, 30/10/17 »
I've also had a throw out of a few pairs of hiking socks. Its difficult to pin down why they just don't work for me, but they just don't work! One pair for example, feels like I am permanently walking on a ridge under the balls of my feet. As I run my fingers over the material there is definitely no ridge. I've concluded that the material just tends to bunch up as I walk. They are already in the bin.

Socks are the bane of my life! I have pretty narrow feet that are also size 13 so they very easily ruffle up in boots. I've spent tons on socks as decent merino wool ones don't come cheap, I only use smartwool PHD over the calf socks now as these just seem to be the best fit for me. Trial and error is a costly thing though.

Another_Smith

« Reply #8 on: 09:27:56, 30/10/17 »
My usual mistake is buying something cheap as I’m too impatient to wait until I can afford the expensive version. Of course I buy the expensive version at a later date. Classic false economy.

As the saying goes 'Buy cheap, buy twice'.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 12:48:31, 30/10/17 »
I bought some UnderArmor underwear as they were cheap in the outlet park near us.
Awful. I had nappy rash after a long walk in warm weather.
/quote]
I am trying not to visualise :o
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 16:11:34, 30/10/17 »
We had a conversation in the pub on Saturday about really tight fitting baselayers and trousers. A couple of the blokes go to the gym and the comment was that its too "Jules and Sandy" for me.

Remember them and Mr Horne as well? oh we did laugh!

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 16:38:56, 30/10/17 »
I will wear a really tight fitting base layer but only under something, never on its own. I find that it wicks much better if tighter. If you’re a bit sweaty and want clothes to wick they must be figure hugging.

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 16:40:31, 30/10/17 »
PS - I’m way too young for Around The Horne but was brought up on my dad’s tapes of it. Kenneth Williams was a genius comic performer.

Another_Smith

« Reply #13 on: 12:44:51, 31/10/17 »
PS - I’m way too young for Around The Horne but was brought up on my dad’s tapes of it. Kenneth Williams was a genius comic performer.

Ditto, it ended 20 years before I was born  ;D

Marshy Pete

« Reply #14 on: 13:03:41, 31/10/17 »
Hopefully by "throw out" you mean donated to charity rather than put in the bin.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy