Author Topic: TR Windy Gyle from Wedder Leap Tue 7 Jul 20  (Read 2091 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: TR Windy Gyle from Wedder Leap Tue 7 Jul 20
« Reply #15 on: 21:19:07, 16/07/20 »
The positives first. The site is in a beautiful location with access to fabulous countryside and walks in the Cheviots. It is a small site and would be quiet normally. You can have a fire on the campsite as there are fire pits. It is very cheap £6 per person, no charge for a car or dogs. There is no mobile coverage (Vodafone anyway) or 4G or Wifi. This may be a negative depending on your point of view! There is plenty of coverage up on the tops, however. It is in dark sky country so night time photographers could get some great photos of stars and the Milky Way.  The negatives now. With only a few flat places to pitch, one tent was pitched on a slope, you might end up on that slope depending on how many tents are there.  When we arrived the sinks weren't very clean which I put down to lack of time due to the sheep shearing (there were a lot of sheep), next day the sinks were much cleaner with hand sanitizer provided, no soap though. The water tap didn't work either but we were able to get some from the camping barn. We were advised to boil it first because it came from a spring. We used our filters and didn't need to boil it. I noticed another group who said they had been on the site before had brought their own water. There didn't seem to be a dishwashing sink, only the small sinks in the 2 toilets and one small sink in the shower room.

Would I recommend it? A hard question, we are used to wild camping so having a toilet if we needed one is luxury for us and we didn't bother using the shower or sinks, we had wipes and our own hand sanitizer. I would say it is a great site for its location but not especially good facility wise but that it is why it is so cheap I suppose.

Thanks April.  :)
Sounds good for a couple of nights.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 21:23:01, 16/07/20 »
Well I'm thinking of wild camping on High Street!

:) You should get a good sunset from there if there is one to be seen.
Hate will never win

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 21:26:03, 16/07/20 »
Sounds good for a couple of nights.

We stayed for only 2 nights and you would need better facilities to stay longer I think.
Hate will never win

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 12:31:43, 17/07/20 »

;D We didn't time our visit very well arriving on the day they were shearing sheep. We were told ourselves and the 2 other tent occupiers were the first visitors since lockdown.
Shearing time! No wonder they had a lot to tell, they are mostly ladies and they have lost last years wardrobe.   8)
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 19:11:38, 20/07/20 »
Shearing time! No wonder they had a lot to tell, they are mostly ladies and they have lost last years wardrobe.   8)

;D They didn't have to tell it quite as loudly or for as long   ;D
Hate will never win

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 13:42:54, 21/07/20 »
;D They didn't have to tell it quite as loudly or for as long   ;D
;D Perhaps, if you got a look at their Flock Book, there might be some Khardashian there,  ::)
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 17:52:22, 21/07/20 »
;D Perhaps, if you got a look at their Flock Book, there might be some Khardashian there,  ::)

;D
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy