Author Topic: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?  (Read 276071 times)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Re: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?
« Reply #930 on: 08:43:32, 20/11/19 »
Things didn't go according to plan today.  First we arrived for a flight out to Milford Sound, to be told the weather was too bad for flying.  So perhaps we could drive there 450 mile round trip, but as you know I enjoy driving more than most.  Not today though, an avalanche had closed the road. 

So then after Lunch in Queenstown and a stroll down by the lake, where we caught the old steamer saling home, We drove up the Crown Range rd towards the ski center at  Cadrona. Blue sky here so hopefully we could walk the last few hundred meters to the summit and enjoy a spectacular view out towards Milford Sound instead.  Nope not when the resort road is closed out of season you can't.

Never known for giving up we eventually headed to Wanaka and walked up a cracking minor peak called mt Iron.

pasbury

« Reply #931 on: 09:20:32, 20/11/19 »
Fridays are my day off, and the Mrs is also usually off too, last Friday we did a circular from Speech House in the Forest of Dean to admire the last of the autumn leaves before they're all blown off. Nice to see random sculptures in the woods too - we were in the area of the sculpture trail.
This Friday hopefully we'll do a bit more of the Welsh coast path around Newport - the bleak post-industrial landscape is perfect for this time of year!

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #932 on: 09:58:01, 21/11/19 »
We moved base to mount cook village today. 

It"s a great drive over from Queenstown. We stopped and explored a few lakes on the way.

Later MrsG and I took a short walk up to Kia point from the hotel.  Stunning views in every direction.

Mount Cook in the centre, mount Sefton to the left.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #933 on: 19:30:26, 21/11/19 »
It looks like a great part of the world to be in.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #934 on: 08:31:54, 22/11/19 »
Does look amazing. Is the loose soil in the foreground of the last pic glacial moraine?
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #935 on: 18:57:59, 22/11/19 »
Does look amazing. Is the loose soil in the foreground of the last pic glacial moraine?
Yes and it has been cut through by the melt water from another glacier.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #936 on: 09:19:38, 23/11/19 »
Yes and it has been cut through by the melt water from another glacier.
Amazing - all we normally see are surface humps and bumps giving no insight to the depth of new loose soil beneath
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #937 on: 09:48:05, 24/11/19 »
Amazing - all we normally see are surface humps and bumps giving no insight to the depth of new loose soil beneath
It"s a telling sign of global warming. Chatting with a helicopter pilot who has lived here all his life, he told me, when he was a boy you could walk up to the Tasman glacier and touch it. Now there is a 5.5km melt water lake between the glaciers last  major moraine deposit and the glacier face, most of that in the last 10 years. Makes you think when you see it for real.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #938 on: 19:39:58, 25/11/19 »
Great photos Buzy O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #939 on: 23:34:27, 29/11/19 »
Staying in Wellington for 5 days.  We took a walk up from our B&B to the Radar station at the top of Hawkins Hill.

Great views of  from up there.

And of course, a London bus.

They get every where.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #940 on: 16:49:27, 30/11/19 »
It was -9 on the summit of Yr Lether this afternoon, that's pretty chilly, and  most of the ground was frozen.
Thankfully there was little wind, but blimey it was chilly, its come as a bit of a shock, as the recent weather has been fairly kind.

I parked my car at Fordd Gors carpark, as i didnt fancy the longish walk from home, and lo and behold, not a living soul in sight, just me and nature at its cruellest.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #941 on: 21:07:38, 30/11/19 »
A lovely varied walk near Silverdale, just north of Lancaster. Limestone pavement, scrubby woodland, small fields enclosed by dry stone walls, more woodland, parkland, Leighton Moss bird reserve, Gloucester Black Spot pigs, a peaceful tarn (Hawes Water), coppiced woodland. Fantastic views across to the Lakeland hills. 6 delightful miles on a crisp frosty morning in an often overlooked corner.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #942 on: 10:08:19, 09/12/19 »
Had a lovey walk with Mrs G through the Red Wood forest in Rotorua. O0

What a fantastic place. We just wanderd from path to path for hours, mezmozized by the trees and the cast of their shadows dancing on the leaf strewn floor.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #943 on: 12:44:38, 09/12/19 »
The road my son lives in runs down to the Red Wood Forest at Rotorua.  It is a great place for a walk and a much bigger than you would think.  The Blue Lake also has a good walk round it that Mrs G will enjoy.  The book says do it clockwise but the going is easier t'other way about.  While you are there, try the luge rides from the top of the Sky Line gondola just N of Rotorua.
Solvitur Ambulando

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #944 on: 13:19:32, 09/12/19 »
I'm finally getting the chance to go out for a walk today that isn't either functional or in the dark.

So a nice walk on Paull Foreshore it is to see what they've done now they've finished the flood defence works  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy