Author Topic: SWCP - Land's End to Lyme Regis - account  (Read 12904 times)

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
Re: SWCP - Land's End to Lyme Regis - account
« Reply #30 on: 20:29:41, 10/07/18 »
Day 16 - Am I nearer to or further from finishing? Not sure.

https://whiteacorns.wordpress.com/2018/07/10/swcp-day-16-brixham-to-shaldon/  
That's a hard walk in a day so well done Tony  O0
Teignmouth has a very good Wetherspoons if you are planning a repeat of the walk!

Regards Keith

John Walker

« Reply #31 on: 20:36:25, 10/07/18 »
AFANASIEW
I'm really loving your blog about your SWCP adventures - great descriptions, very entertaining! I completed the SWCP back in 2012, it took me  5 years (as a 'light weight' i.e. a 'rambler'....).  Your experiences, photos and tea shop experiences really remind me of what a great experience the SWCP is.
BTW I still get milk delivered to me daily in glass bottles - maybe you could arrange to have hankies delivered daily to your camp site? ;)

JW
http://www.greenlives.org.uk/walk.html
National Trails completed: SWCP, Thames, SDW and NDW

AFANASIEW

« Reply #32 on: 21:55:36, 10/07/18 »
That's a hard walk in a day so well done Tony  O0
Teignmouth has a very good Wetherspoons if you are planning a repeat of the walk!
Thanks Keith, I'll bear it in mind. As you can imagine, there are a number of places I want to return to, given life enough!

It's simple - one foot in front of the other.

AFANASIEW

« Reply #33 on: 21:58:37, 10/07/18 »
AFANASIEW
I'm really loving your blog about your SWCP adventures - great descriptions, very entertaining! I completed the SWCP back in 2012, it took me  5 years (as a 'light weight' i.e. a 'rambler'....).  Your experiences, photos and tea shop experiences really remind me of what a great experience the SWCP is.
BTW I still get milk delivered to me daily in glass bottles - maybe you could arrange to have hankies delivered daily to your camp site? ;)
Ha! Love it, John. Glad to hear about the bottles - I used to deliver them at one time.
Tony
« Last Edit: 22:14:39, 10/07/18 by AFANASIEW »

AFANASIEW

« Reply #34 on: 14:26:47, 11/07/18 »

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 18:07:54, 11/07/18 »
I have thoroughly enjoyed reading the daily account of your walk, it brings back so many wonderful memories.   :)

As this is also a preparation for your Lejog next year, whilst it may be better to get expert opinion, I presume that you need to get your legs (bones) ready for prolonged and continuous day to day walking to prevent a recurrence of your stress fracture if that is what it turns out to be.

AFANASIEW

« Reply #36 on: 21:49:20, 11/07/18 »
As this is also a preparation for your Lejog next year...

Thanks, Harland. It's still a long way off, and i hope to pack 8 kg instead of 13 - should help.

AFANASIEW

« Reply #37 on: 20:06:04, 12/07/18 »
That's it then - all over:
https://whiteacorns.wordpress.com/2018/07/12/swcp-day-18-ladr…ay-to-lyme-regis/

Question is, what next??

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 20:26:05, 12/07/18 »

Thanks, Harland. It's still a long way off, and i hope to pack 8 kg instead of 13 - should help.
Does the 8kg include the 2kg of hankies Tony?  ;D 

Regards Keith

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 20:37:29, 12/07/18 »
Just read the final excerpt Tony and well done for completing a difficult walk  O0

Good luck with LEJOG and presume you will be doing daily blogs of that little trip. Maybe consider downloading the Edinburgh Woollen Mill ap (if they have one) because hanky suppliers in the Highlands may be scarce.

Regards Keith

AFANASIEW

« Reply #40 on: 21:03:38, 12/07/18 »
Does the 8kg include the 2kg of hankies Tony?  ;D 

I'll post ahead along with the maps!  ;)
Cheers
Tony

AFANASIEW

« Reply #41 on: 14:35:48, 19/07/18 »

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 17:13:57, 19/07/18 »
I am by no means a "superman", 6'3" and 16 stone.  No training for the SWCP but decided to walk myself into fitness.  I didn't have any rest days on the SWCP and didn't have a problem with "stress fractures", I carried minimal, although not lightweight, camping equipment, (tent, sleeping bag and sleeping mat) no cooking facilities.  Decided that if I couldn't get food for one night it wouldn't kill me but make me get up earlier to get breakfast somewhere.  The point I am making is that why should you have got a stress fracture when I didn't walking for 5 weeks.  A reason may be that when I tried to walk Lejog in one go a couple of years ago I had to give up after about 3 days as I hurt my hip, I think it was from walking too fast, quite a lot on roads and walking too far each day trying to push myself.  So suggest that you need to take it easy at the start in both mileage and speed.  I wouldn't book ahead but carry minimal camping stuff as I did on the SWCP so that you can walk or stop as you go.  My reserve food in case I had to miss an evening meal was a packet of ginger biscuits, but as you are aware I found B&B every night!  Not sure that booking B&Bs so far ahead is a good idea as that, like me, may make you push yourself too much.

Instead of walking the SWCP at the start why not go through the centre of Cornwall? 

Lulworth to Swanage I recorded as 4,403'.  I use one walking pole, it helps my old knees get over stiles.  Hankies - 2 is enough for anyone walking all of Lejog, one for the day and one for the evening! 

I never did walk Lejog in one session which is a disappointment but I have now completed it having joined up the bits between the National Trails i.e. SWCP, Offa's Dyke, Pennine Way, West Highland Way and the Great Glenn Way.

Let us know when you are starting and if you are able update us frequently as, if you are OK with it, some of us may like a day or so walking with you if you are close to our home.

AFANASIEW

« Reply #43 on: 18:38:27, 19/07/18 »
Harland, i appreciate your interest and would indeed gladly meet on LEJOG - so far I'm only due to be meeting family for a day's walk in Derbyshire.
My need for training arose when my knees conked out 3+ years ago; they don't do that any more, after regular work on a cross-trainer. Apparently the cause of pain in the anterior tibialis could be any one or more of a number of things, but there are preventative steps you can take. My failed attempts on the Pennine Way as a young man have made me determined to plan and prepare quite meticulously now - I simply don't have another 39 years in which to figure out how to get it right.

How did you record the 4,403 feet of ascent?

Cheers

Tony

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 18:53:13, 19/07/18 »
How did you record the 4,403 feet of ascent?
I used my SATMAP to record distance and ascent, the height would be from Lulworth YH to my nights accommodation at Swanage YH.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy