Author Topic: Dartmoor 2 day route taking in Wistman's Wood  (Read 6295 times)

NeilC

• Veteran Member
Dartmoor 2 day route taking in Wistman's Wood
« on: 10:54:22, 17/11/15 »
I'm planning a weekend overnighter to Dartmoor and want to take in Wistman's Wood, a few tors, a wild camp not in the middle of a bog and any other interesting features.

I've have my 11 year old with me so I can't be pushing the pace too hard and of course it gets dark about 5 now so the first day is likely to be on a few hours.

I was thinking maybe starting at Two Bridges which looks like an easy walk to the Wood, get that done early, up Higher White Tor and then not sure. Trying to find flat, dry spots for camping isn't easy from a map alone so was planning to leave a good hour before sundown to find something whilst on the ground but if anyone knows of good spots that would help.

Any suggestions welcome.  

Wurz

• Veteran Member
Re: Dartmoor 2 day route taking in Wistman's Wood
« Reply #1 on: 16:36:29, 17/11/15 »
Never camped up there, nearest to there I've stayed was Devil Tor.  There are plenty of flat areas around there though, both by Longford and White Tors. It can be quite exposed up there if there's a breeze.  For the second day you can either loop west & south or NE.  If you go further N it will probably get quite boggy, particularly given how much rain we've had lately.  Likewise crossing streams and rivers could be a problem.  If it's breezy you might find somewhere SE of Higher White behind the wall or further down towards the stream. The valley bottom is likely to be waterlogged but areas a few metres above it could be ok.  On the plus side E side of the hills will get the morning sun if there is any.

nigellionhearts

« Reply #2 on: 18:22:27, 19/11/15 »
If you follow the West Dart river up past Wistmans wood there is a flat camping spot next to the weir were the take point is for the devon port leat.  This also makes a good crossing point for the West dart. O0

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:14:47, 20/11/15 »
Thanks guys, that should come in handy.

I'm going this weekend now as others have got booked up.

Not the best weather: wind, rain, sleet, fog and possibly even snow.

Wurz

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:38:14, 20/11/15 »
Don't think you'll see much snow.  Maybe some wintery showers but forecast for sunny tomorrow.  I'm probably going for an overnighter on Sunday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2639885

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:13:28, 20/11/15 »
The forecast seems to be getting better the closer it gets. Hopefully it will continue.

Will be a good run out for the new sleeping bag.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:24:18, 22/11/15 »
Well it was glorious sunshine.....in the car all the way to the edge of Dartmoor where it started raining. Just as I stepped out of the car it started snowing, followed by sleet which froze onto my clothing as I walked until I looked like I'd be dipped in ice. Cleared up a little. I arrived late and after wandering around Wistman's Wood taking photos I only managed to get a little over the back of Beardown Tors and had to pitch as it was getting dark super fast. It snowed during the night up there and I could hear the snow collecting on the fly and the sliding down off it. Got down to about -3C.

Sunday was a different story with great weather until about 12:30 when a few showers set it but I go back to the car by about 1 to get home for the roast.

My word it was wet up there. I followed the "footpath" to Conies Down but it varied from visible to "is that a sheep track?" to "surely that can't be a footpath" to "no, that's definitely a stream" with various stages of marsh and peat-bog in between. It made for some very slow progress so despite getting up with the sun I didn't actually get that far.

What do you Dartmoor experts wear on your feet to keep dry? I was in sandals and sealskins which actually worked out OKish but I was thinking whether army boots or something else high enough to deal with the inevitable marshy missteps.

thomasdevon

« Reply #7 on: 20:48:44, 22/11/15 »
I only hike Dartmoor and have never kept feet dry on winter hikes.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 20:51:15, 22/11/15 »
So short of waders its a lost cause?

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 22:12:29, 22/11/15 »
What do you Dartmoor experts wear on your feet to keep dry?
A good pair of waterproof boots combined with gaiters.

Wurz

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 17:03:52, 23/11/15 »
Yeah, I'd say decent boots and gaiters.  I used to use Berghaus Yeti's on the Moor a lot, ideal for serious bog trotting.  Now I pick my routes (plus wear trainers a lot unless it's very cold).  If it's somewhere that I know is particularly wet I leave it until we get a dry spell. Can be quite a wait!  ::)

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 17:07:15, 23/11/15 »
So did you make it out on Sunday?

Wurz

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 17:51:50, 23/11/15 »
Yeah but I didn't get very far due to lack of time so played with my camera.  Didn't get out til after dark but it was easy to nav with the moonlight.  A bit of a shower and then clear, cold wind and a frost this morning.  Pic taken just before dawn.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 17:55:19, 23/11/15 »
Nice. When I looked out of my tent it was pitch black and snowing! Amazing how quickly the weather changes.

I really have no idea how you could possibly get around in the dark without falling foul of at least knee deep water holes or marshes. Are you already familiar with the places you're walking?

Here's one I took of a lichen covered branch at Whitman's Wood

Wurz

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 18:30:16, 23/11/15 »
I know a lot of the moor pretty well but unless it was a path I'd use a head torch unless like last night the moonlight was very good, even though i wasn't following a proper path.  I turned my torch on twice, once to make sure I wasn't about to fall down a hole crossing a bit of clitter and once to avoid a very muddy puddle.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy