Author Topic: Lyke Wake Walk  (Read 4879 times)

Lykewakewitch

Lyke Wake Walk
« on: 16:07:25, 14/10/07 »
I have just completed the Lyke Wake Walk for the 2nd time this year. Tough endurance test, but exhilerating. If you put in a report, you get the title of  "witch" if you are female and "Dirger" if you are male but you have to complete the walk within 24 hours, (hence the name, Lykewakewitch)
I completed it in around 14 hours walking time. the walk started at 11pm on Friday 5th October and finished mid afternoon Saturday 6th. I completed it with 160 other walkers to raise money or MacMillan. Only 6 dropped out for various reasons which is fantastic. The guides were brilliant and everyone was in very good spirit.
It was much better to be supported, when we first completed it we did it alone (2 adults and 2 children) and really found it hard both physically and mentally. But we managed it on a first attempt in 17 hours (not bad I think) Well done to everyone who took part and if anyone is willing to take the challenge, good luck. If you want any info or tips, just let me know.
« Last Edit: 16:12:34, 14/10/07 by Lykewakewitch »

steh

Re: Lyke Wake Walk
« Reply #1 on: 00:29:26, 11/12/07 »
just joined this forum, first post.
i did the walk when i was 12yrs old along with my dad and older brother, that was back in 1981/82.
really enjoyed ourselfs, did it inabout 26 hours i think.

we were in the middle of the moors in the dead of night and over to one side there were people doing some sort of witchcraft and dancing around a large fire, very spooky when you are 12 yrs.

when we got to the end i felt like i had walked for ever.
we got the ok from a farmer and pitched on his field for the nght in i think great broughton.
next morning we made our way to whitby and went on t a site on the top of the cliffe, i thinkit was something farm?
the guy who owned it was an amature radio and we chated to him over my brothers hand held cb, untill the batterys went dead.
we did the walk a few more times and each time added other bits in as well, each time we did it a friend would come along, i remember once there was about 7 of us, and the coach driver let us get of his coach on i think the a19, we are from london but dad was from up the north.
is the camp site as osmotherly still at the bottom of a very very steep hill?

well im all grown up now, and was just thinking about the good times we had on the walks as a child (my father has long passed away) and i now have a child of my own, well 19yr old. i am going to ask him along with my newphew if there would like to do the walk.

well done on your walk and i hope to be part of it again.
ps  do people still put a stone at certain points and build them into a maker?

steve

ukmase

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:31:53, 11/12/07 »
The campsite is Osomtherly is called Cote Ghyll and yes it is at the bottom of a reall steep hill. I took my 2yr old son there for his second ever camping trip.

I am planning on doing the Lyke Wake walk next year for charity, myself and a fellow poster Mr Blister are awaiting some info on the walk dates/etc.

Not to sure on the witch craft goings on, cheers for the heads up, if i see Harry Potter and his mates i will say hello. :D

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:37:55, 11/12/07 »
Paul ive just sent you a message mate..,read it and let me know ASAP please.
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

Lykewakewitch

« Reply #4 on: 20:39:06, 11/12/07 »
Hi Steve

I have done the walk twice now and I am doing it again next year, must admit I have never seen any witchcraft on the moors.
Yes the camp site is at the bottom of a hill in Osmotherley, probably not as steep as you think as everything seems steeper and bigger when you are 12 years old.
People including myself do leave stones at trig points and some are quite impressive now, also they leave heather to assist in a safe crossing at some of the Howes (which are burial mounds).
I am glad you are thinking about doing it again, I feel it's really important to keep the history and enthusiasm of the walk going to all generations.
I am a member of the Lyke Wake Club as well so like to promote the walk positively and offer advice for anyone who is attempting it for the first time.

Let me know if you do get round to doing it again.

Maria
« Last Edit: 20:42:14, 11/12/07 by Lykewakewitch »

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 10:40:46, 12/12/07 »
UK/M

If you need numbers for the walk, let me know the dates mate. Mean't to mention it on the meet - up  O0

D/S

I know you are really desperate for the walk (Lakes) but please remember those who rush......
( i know just trying to get you to wait,  ;D ;D ;D)
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

ukmase

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 12:01:36, 12/12/07 »
Paul - I will do mate, at the moment the date is thought to be sometime in June 2008.

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 12:34:47, 12/12/07 »
Paul - I will do mate, at the moment the date is thought to be sometime in June 2008.

Indeed, no definite date yet, but it is set to be in June sometime.

Summit / Darksky - I wasn't aware that you were interested in this walk, otherwise I would certainly have included you in my talks with UKmase.  If you want, I'll start to keep you updated when I learn more about that walk??  O0

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 14:48:07, 13/12/07 »
That would be great, cheers  O0 O0 Hope you do not mind me egging in  O0

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 16:15:53, 14/12/07 »
That would be great, cheers  O0 O0 Hope you do not mind me egging in  O0

Consider it done!  ;)

My impression is that lots of different groups do this walk, and so if you're looking to do it earlier I imagine there would be another group doings.  As it is, I'm sure LykeWakeWitch mentioned doing it in April  :-\ 

For me, June is ideal.  I'm a fairly strong walker, but 42 miles is unprecedented for me and so want to get some good training in.  Was thinking of asking UKmase if he wants to do a couple of training legs together sometime in the new years, and so if you want you're more than welcome to join.  O0

ukmase

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 14:38:03, 15/12/07 »
The training sounds like a good idea. We could do a section of the Cleveland Way. Let me know when your ready to set dates etc.

42 miles is going to hurt, but i dont think you have to walk at a really fast pace to complete it in time, just a steady pace in the right direction ::)

If we do it oursleves i am sure i can rustle up a few helpers for the support team that we will need for essential bacon butties.

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 11:19:12, 21/12/07 »
Now i am hungry  ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy