Author Topic: Paramo  (Read 965 times)

Percy

• Veteran Member
Paramo
« on: 18:15:08, 30/01/20 »
Having visited their shop in Keswick this afternoon I am now convinced that Paramo, their retail staff, and likely their customers, are some sort of weird cult.

Discuss. ;)

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: Paramo
« Reply #1 on: 18:25:42, 30/01/20 »
 ;D
Where there's a will ...

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:30:07, 30/01/20 »
Very much like marmite, you either love it or hate it.
I find it heavy and hot but my brother raves about it.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:41:50, 30/01/20 »
...and likely their customers, are some sort of weird cult.

A lot of truth in that, or at least there was in the past.
Who remembers the Paramo vs Goretex flame wars on OutdoorsMagic, maybe 10-15 years ago?. The Paramo lot were absolutely rabid, ready to knife anyone in the back who questioned the wisdom, and woe betide anyone who mentioned Gore. Things became seriously nasty for a while.

The water repellency is good in theory when there are simply water drops falling on the material, but there are well known problems that zealots tend to sweep under the rug, in particular beneath the shoulder straps of a pack. The material is constantly under pressure and getting scrunched about, gradually forcing water through in prolonged rain.

Theo Frum

« Reply #4 on: 22:48:42, 30/01/20 »
As waterproofs go, Paramo makes a very good sieve. As vghikers says, the water pours in over the shoulders and down the back because the pressure of the rucsac forces it through the fabric. It's ok for cycle touring, but I don't use mine because it's just too big and heavy.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:05:27, 31/01/20 »
I'm no longer a Paramo lover, I succumbed to an expensive waterproof jacket purchase, regret it now but too late, the money is spent. I agree with all of the negatives. In hindsight, too heavy, too hot in the warmer months and too bulky to fit comfortably in my rucksack. It helped me though, I moved onto single skin jackets, poncho's, rain skirts and now a waterproof coat that cost me £15 and does the job so much better!

For me, it's not just about Paramo its do with all of the other companies as well, obviously, some are better than others, but I will not make that financial mistake again.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 10:00:08, 31/01/20 »
My Paramo jacket feels quite light and I can roll it up so it fits in its hood to go in my pack. As I said, I suffer badly from condensation in it and I was surprised that the wind seems to go through it quite easily.  I suspect the two are related and probably a result of it spending a lot of time rolled up tightly.  I still carry it in Spring and Autumn as an extra layer if needed but I have a lightweight Wolfskin jacket for Summer and my old Berghaus 3in1 for Winter.
I also have a set of Paramo trousers and some Paramo base layers. I cannot fault these.
Solvitur Ambulando

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:20:57, 31/01/20 »
Good to hear some balanced views on paramo from users.  I have looked at the Ostro jacket and fleece combo more than once but can't seem to make my mind up about it.  Think I'll stick with what I have for the time being.
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

Pitboot

« Reply #8 on: 10:37:57, 31/01/20 »
I have some Paramo gear and I can't say I find much wrong with it. What I can't understand is the obsession with keeping dry. If I am out in heavy weather I accept that I will get a bit wet, it is how my clothing deals with it that matters to me. Also I sweat a lot, so I'm going to be damp no matter what. I like to be dry but comfort is more of a priority for me.
The best goretex jacket/trousers has big holes that allow you to put the kit on and see out of it, so some rain will inevitably get in. Same for Paramo kit.

We should be thankful that we are not still trudging around in impermeable coated nylon jackets, or those horrible PVC Helly outfits so beloved of outdoor centres last century!

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 11:21:17, 31/01/20 »
We should be thankful that we are not still trudging around in impermeable coated nylon jackets, or those horrible PVC Helly outfits so beloved of outdoor centres last century!
Nowt wrong with a bright red cagoule, red knee highs, cordurouy/moleskin breeches and a pair of ton weight leather boots (with red laces of course), oh and don't forget the obligatory Arran Sweater to go under the cagoule for really cold weather  ;D
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 12:47:59, 31/01/20 »
What I can't understand is the obsession with keeping dry. If I am out in heavy weather I accept that I will get a bit wet, it is how my clothing deals with it that matters to me. Also I sweat a lot, so I'm going to be damp no matter what. I like to be dry but comfort is more of a priority for me.
The best goretex jacket/trousers has big holes that allow you to put the kit on and see out of it, so some rain will inevitably get in. Same for Paramo kit.
I agree. I have been out in downpours during gales in Scotland. In the conditions water will inevitably find its way in. What is important is that some the shell keeps the wind off while I am somewhat damp and prevents too much temperature loss.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 14:45:58, 31/01/20 »
Being warm is far more important than being dry. I always wear wicking sportswear because it's cheaper than branded walking gear and multipurpose underneath and breathable waterproofs. You might sweat a little but it stops the cold rain getting in and I find a jacket with breathability at or above 20000 g/m2/24hrs to be essential for comfort. Below that I get hot and sweaty and would rather just get wet unless it's pretty cold. Waterproof overtrousers I've only ever used Berghaus Stormcloud which aren't as comfortable as my (better) jackets have been but are adequate so can't comment on what's best.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 15:43:51, 31/01/20 »
I agree with Bigfoot, Pitboot and Rob, rain is overrated as a problem! I have no problem keeping dry these days, as long as I'm wearing my gaiters I'm fine, I just use a really cheap Champion waterproof coat and a rain skirt and I'm fine. Rain in the UK is often, in my experience just intermittent, I can't say that I've had too many days over the last few years when it 'never stopped!' Nowadays I work on the principle of only investing in clothing to stay dry where I'm able to get the jacket and rain skirt on in a few seconds and when it stops to take off in a few seconds as well. Can't do that with my Paramo jacket.

The only permutation that I haven't tried is to find a poncho which buttons or zips full length down the front. I've seen them in France but never in the UK, I often wish I'd bought one at the time but I dithered!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy