Author Topic: Drinking From Streams Above The Last Fenceline  (Read 7611 times)

RobertJames

Re: Drinking From Streams Above The Last Fenceline
« Reply #15 on: 13:54:10, 15/04/19 »
I personally wouldn't risk drinking straight from a stream no matter how clean it looks without filtering first, I use a WaterWell Travel Ultra for water from rivers and lakes, backed up by a Waterstraw for smaller streams. Although ideally I tend to plan ahead before undertaking long-distance walks by making sure there's farms, shops, villages, nearby where I can get clean-fresh water straight from the tap.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 15:47:53, 15/04/19 »
Exactly as Richardh says. We've backpacked thousands of miles in the UK and never carry a filter for hill/mountain walking.
There are sometimes good opportunities to collect water even on low level treks with care, but for those we usually buy it.

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 17:23:41, 15/04/19 »
Having been very poorly from drinking water I always filter it,  you just don't know what's in it, and it's worth carrying the weight of a Sawyer mini even if it just stops you getting sick once, you might get away with it for years, but never again for me
April and I have had to drink some horrible water, we even drank water from a puddle with the remains of a sheep close by once, but filtered we were fine,  :)

Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 17:25:04, 15/04/19 »
Yeah took water from mountain streams for years with no ill effects. I have used a filter for lower water even dirty puddles when desperate, which has been ok.Most of the warnings about filtering water in the uk, originate from companies selling filter systems, just as health warnings originate from pharmisutical companies and the like.Despite the best care we took, we did fall victim of Asian Cryptospiridium while in Nepal, came back home with it after 3 weeks away. After trip to GP, enviromental health came to our house (no warning, just turned up) to satisfy themselves that the source wasn't over here. Cleared after the usual 21 days self limiting period, but sore abdomen for almost 6 months.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 17:29:19, 15/04/19 »
April and I have had to drink some horrible water, we even drank water from a puddle with the remains of a sheep close by once, but filtered we were fine,  :)
Was it vegan?

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 17:46:11, 15/04/19 »
Was it vegan?

I thought all sheep were vegan (or at least vegetarian)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 17:54:47, 15/04/19 »

Sounds very nasty, Slogger. I think that you do have to be a lot more careful abroad.

My bout of the "Screaming Squitters" in Italy cleared up quickly, but did prevent me from climbing Gran Paradiso (4061m)  :(
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 17:59:40, 15/04/19 »

I thought all sheep were vegan (or at least vegetarian)
  Filters aren't vegan though - they kill small beasties.
Solvitur Ambulando

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 18:08:51, 15/04/19 »

Amoebic rights! Down with the filtration industry! Sanitation is murder!

Nobody feels sorry for the amoeba...

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 19:26:52, 15/04/19 »
I have drunk from mountain streams without problem in the UK, but I did suffer in the French Alps, so would probably take some filtration now.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 19:58:58, 16/04/19 »
Was it vegan?

;D

Ridge was making a joke  :) He was quoting from a recent Beefy vid  :)

I think it would be impossible to be certain if water from a tap or bottle is totally vegan, surely that will have been filtered too?

A quote from the Vegan Society
"Veganism is a way of living which seeks to exclude, as far as is possible and practicable, all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose"

I will be continuing to use my filter without any guilt  :)
« Last Edit: 20:25:29, 16/04/19 by April »
Hate will never win

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 20:23:13, 16/04/19 »
;D

I will be continuing to use my filter without any guilt  :)
Pick on somebody your own size - those poor protozoa - oh the humanity!    ;)
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 23:18:37, 16/04/19 »
Pick on somebody your own size - those poor protozoa - oh the humanity!   ;)
Does a filter actually kill the wee critters, or simply keep them out?

Either way, happy to drink unfiltered from remote mountain streams.  Not on the moors though. Too many animals about.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 08:49:49, 17/04/19 »
Another one here who's suffered the effects of bad water in France, in this case simply from brushing my teeth from a little lowland stream.

For about ten years now I am using a Steripen Adventurer (a discontinued model) preceded by use of the Steripen Prefilter, from anything ranging from rivers to tiny algae-filled pools.

Regarding veganism, for many years I worked in the homes of Asian people originating from India and Africa, my borough has the highest number in the UK.* The greater majority are strict vegetarians, and most homes had a tiny fine-gauze bag attatched to the spout of the kitchen tap.

* Edit: Hindus, I meant.
« Last Edit: 10:01:02, 17/04/19 by fernman »

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 08:54:20, 17/04/19 »
oh the humanity! 

It is a strange word, humanity. In the context you write about it here, it means mans kindness to other humans. Unless you think humans can also be in protozoan form?   ;) I can think of a few  :D

I have drunk unfiltered water from becks in the Lake District before but always filter it now; I have a filter and it doesn't cost anything to use it.

Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy