Author Topic: Thames Path  (Read 1347 times)

Celthedd

Thames Path
« on: 21:34:25, 02/12/18 »
I've planned my walk for next March but  unable to find anywhere to camp in or around Streatley, I had planned for the yha but its full....anyone on here with any knowledge or good wild camping ideas?
Thanks

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: Thames Path
« Reply #1 on: 21:56:39, 02/12/18 »
Really?  Full now?  You sure they simply haven't blocked it out for now?  YHA are awful like that, they hold out in case of a block booking and only release to individuals nearer the time.
Where there's a will ...

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 22:21:02, 02/12/18 »
sussamb is right, it is really annoying. You can't even find out when they may decide to release beds to the public.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:50:49, 02/12/18 »
It's not fully booked, it closes over the winter months. It opens on Friday the 5th of April.

I'm assuming that you might be staying the previous night in Henley so there's always the option of staying there a second night and getting the train back from Goring if there's no other option.

LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Celthedd

« Reply #4 on: 22:55:30, 02/12/18 »
I've spoken to them and they will be open and they have a block booking, true or not I wouldent know, I'm actually walking into London and the previous night is Clifton Hampden.

astaman

« Reply #5 on: 22:58:15, 02/12/18 »
The others are right, so it might be worth keeping checking the YHA website from time to time in the New Year. When I walked the Thames Path (a number of years ago now) I used a bivi bag and (sorry for the Americanism) stealth camped in quiet wooded corners. I really enjoyed it but I did it in the summer and not in March.  Also, I stayed in a B&B in the Goring and Streatley area because I wanted to take time out to see the Stanley Spencer paintings in the church. Took and umberella instead of a waterproof jacket with worked too. I liked this walk even more than I expected - hoped you do.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 23:08:36, 02/12/18 »
I've spoken to them and they will be open and they have a block booking, true or not I wouldent know, I'm actually walking into London and the previous night is Clifton Hampden.
Ive had YHA, both the hostel themselves and the booking line, say that they have a booking and then found it not to be true it has been reserved by head office.

Celthedd

« Reply #7 on: 23:29:38, 02/12/18 »
Thanks for the heads up.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 08:39:53, 03/12/18 »
Why not wild camp?
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 09:53:08, 03/12/18 »
Why not wild camp?
Wild pitches on these low-level trails are hit-and-miss at best, we wild-camped the Ridgeway years ago successfully but we found it nerve wracking. The very few good isolated spots always occurred in the middle of the day - useless!. One of our pitches was right outside Chequers in a tiny glade of trees. The Wolds Way was a bit easier but not much, it was difficult to get decent ground out of sight.

Stube

« Reply #10 on: 11:12:35, 04/12/18 »
I walked the Thames Path last year, and there is little choice in the Streatley/Goring area.

Just upstream is Cleve Lock with a café - not a recognised site, but you could try asking.

A couple a miles downstream there is a nice wooded section - so possible. On the way you will pass two pillboxes  which might be usable as a bothy. There are many pillboxes along the path - some accessible others not.

I got ripped of at the YHA  - as the hostel was full of contractors they charged me for double occupancy of the remaining room. A B&B in Streatley would have been marginally cheaper, but they were away that night. (It's run by a trail walker.)

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 11:47:53, 04/12/18 »

Just a thought, but why not put the actual date you need a stopover nr Streatley. Perhaps someone on here has a spare patch of lawn or knows someone who might?

So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Celthedd

« Reply #12 on: 13:35:47, 04/12/18 »
Good thinking, might as well you never know, it's Mon April 1,ive also booked a guest house in Maidenhead Wed 3 which I could cancel.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 16:24:12, 04/12/18 »
Why not spoil yourself and book into one of the local pubs?
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy