Author Topic: Win Hill  (Read 6040 times)

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
Win Hill
« on: 22:38:18, 16/03/08 »
I expect walks on Win Hill have appeared in here before - but never mind, this is my take.
This walk was done on Saturday 15 March after an extremely boozy night at the Snake Inn - where they let me camp on some molehills. The occasion was just practise for Saturday night's main event - the English Gathering of TGO Challengers.
Anyway - Win Hill. I parked in the big car park who's name escapes me completely and crossed the dam - noting the extremely large plugholes in the reservoir.
I was slightly confused by the helpful signs, but took a path which seemed to be contouring aloong nicely and then suddenly and brutally hurtled up a very steep hill next to a beck - Parkin Clough. This gradually eased off as I entered the hill fog and eventually found myself on what appeared to be either Aonach Eagach or Crib Goch. I think the mist probably added a bit to the atmosphere.  I expect that there's also quite a good view, but I couldnt see it.
There followed a Mary Poppins- like romp down a long  and enjoyable ridge to a roman road then a steepish decsent back to the reservoir where the local geese were doing mating rituals, which I sat and watched for an hour or so.
A slow plod along the track by the waterside took me back to the dam and so back to my car - and back to the Snake Inn for a pint and some snoozing in the tent.
About 8 miles and 1100 feet of uphill...

signs of spring: The geese and a frog - but I told him to hoppit.

I also bagged Featherbed Moss on the Friday by the way, but it was only about a mile, so I didnt mention it!

Incidentally, the rabbit stew at the Snake Inn is just fab. Pity poor fluffy, though.
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

twiglegs

Re: Win Hill
« Reply #1 on: 20:12:06, 20/07/08 »
I love win hill, especially if i get to the top without being knackered.
Its disheartening though to see the runners go past you on the way up without a drop of sweat on their brow. :o

stevieboy378

« Reply #2 on: 14:54:08, 31/08/08 »
Parkin Clough is a killer isn't it - I much prefer to walk up it than down though - parts of the path can be treacherous to walk down in wet weather . . . .
I always prefer to attack Win hill from the Edale side, usually after parking at the top of Winnats pass and traversing the great ridge - that is a days walking par excellance, especially if you can spare the time and energy to traipse up to the Ladybower inn for lunch . .  . .
"Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ! . . .
. . . .except the weasels." - Homer Simpson

Steve Wilcox

Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 22:45:42, 31/08/08 »
The ridge from Mam Tor to Lose Hill is indeed a classic. One of the most impressive walks without too much exersion is parking at Mam Tor and walking the ridge and back again. Here's my kids doing it last week:

Extending to Win Hill involves a lot of puff though as it drops right down.
A good ascent of Win Hill is via Twichill Farm.

Sycowalker

« Reply #4 on: 19:27:23, 08/09/08 »
Yes parkin clough is slightly steep, i remember going up there earlier in year on a red hot day and meeting a couple half way up, the look of horror on his face when i explained he was only half way up  ::)

A good walk after that is to follow the roman road right down past hope cross and outskirt the bottom edge of Kinder, crossing the snake pass road and walking on down to Alport Castles climbing up onto the ridge and then you've a wonderful amble back down to Ladybower and weather permitting stunning views of where you've been where your going and future walks ie Derwent Edge.

A truly wonderful part of the country and a place i never get fed up of going to, no matter what the weather.

Phil

twiglegs

« Reply #5 on: 12:45:22, 09/09/08 »
I did the Win hill to Edale walk a few weeks ago.
I started by parking up by Ladybower.
From there i made my way up Win hill, then took the path down towards hope through Twitchill farm and on to Lose hill.
I don't know which is the worst, the descent or the climb up to the Lose hill ridge but both certainly give the old legs a good work out.
The view from the top of Lose hill i find stunning and it also gives the first glimpse of Edale in the valley below.
From Lose hill i followed the ridge, stopping at Back tor to make a brew and have lunch where i spent a lazy hour just taking in the scenery.
I then made my way on to Mam tor where i took the path down to Edale via Cold side and Harden clough farm, finally arriving at my destination, Field head campsite where i stayed the night.
After a couple of pints in the Rambler and a peaceful nights sleep i set out again following a different gentler route back, passing through Nether booth and Jaggers clough then the path through Backside wood.
I then went off track making my way up through the bracken to the Woodlands valley plantation and made my way through the trees and descended down to the path besides Ladybower resovoir and followed the waterside path back to where i parked up the previous night.

The walk was almost 17 miles in total and i enjoyed everyone of them.
I would recommend this walk to anyone and i shall be definetly doing it again in the near future.

stevieboy378

« Reply #6 on: 15:27:41, 09/09/08 »
I walk a similar route, but in reverse.
I park up at the top of Winnats pass, and make my way up onto Mam Tor, then follow the ridge to Lose Hill, where I usually stop for breakfast.
Then its down into the valley and either up onto Win Hill, or over to the banks of Ladybower, via Hope Cross. After lunch at the Ladybower Inn I usually make my way up onto Stanage edge via Cutthroat bridge, then drop down into Hathersage and make my way back to the car by following first the river, then the road through Hope and Castleton - a fantastic days walking . . . . .
"Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ! . . .
. . . .except the weasels." - Homer Simpson

Steve Wilcox

empirical

« Reply #7 on: 10:53:10, 18/07/09 »
we walked up win hill for the first time 3 weeks ago on a very hot day it was the last climb after a fair trek from endcliffe park, portor valley ,redmires the roman road to stanage edge pole down the edge to where the picnic area/WC's are, on to bamford ,yorkshire bridge then win hill i did'nt know parkin clough was that steep, i'll not end a walk with it in future unless its alot cooler and i'm alot less sunburnt.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy