Author Topic: New Mills Walk - 5th May '09  (Read 4675 times)

Yomper

• Account Closed
Re: New Mills Walk - 5th May '09
« Reply #15 on: 05:25:21, 08/05/09 »
I have a big drink problem...

I can't afford it  :o

:2funny:

Lark Rise

« Reply #16 on: 15:44:00, 08/05/09 »
The Torrs at New Mills, the Swizzles and Matlows factory and the Navi at Bu(g)xsworth, that is a trip down memory lane for me... lived in both Buxworth(twice) and New Mills ...  actually thinking about it I lived there twice too. Actually i've lived a few places twice... I need to sort that out or I'll never make it all the way around the globe!
« Last Edit: 15:45:49, 08/05/09 by Lark Rise »

Yomper

• Account Closed
« Reply #17 on: 15:53:23, 08/05/09 »
Everywhere twice ?  ::)

You seem to be in-between worlds

Maybe in time you will find your eden  ;)

Lark Rise

« Reply #18 on: 16:27:25, 08/05/09 »
... maybe in-between worlds is my eden ::)?

The basin at Buxworth is much nicer now they have cleaned it up, wasn't like that when I lived there! ... The front of the Navi was a village shop then too... still good that pub still keeps going.  Hate these reports of how many pubs are closing down in the UK per day... I'm doing my best to keep them going ...!

radder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 16:47:26, 08/05/09 »
Hello Lark Rise

To me this is a very overlooked part of the Peak District and one area I enjoy walking round.
With a walk starting in a town might put people off but there is some real gems in this area. Even Yomper and Chris was very Impressed with The Torrs at New Mills.
The Nav at Buxworth Basin was still there very empty though. Must be great to sit and have a pint outside in the summer next to the canal. A lovely place and a area I want to explore more in the future.

Mark

Lark Rise

« Reply #20 on: 17:54:24, 08/05/09 »
Hi Radder,

Yes, I think New Mills often gets overlooked, up at Castle Edge just past the New Mills golf course and over to Rowarth is also pleasant for rambling.

I have to say I used to nip through the Torrs on the way to School... then they seemed quite scarey, it was before all the renovations, only went that way if I was very late!

My dad used to do up old Rileys in a garage on what is now the sitting out area by Buggy basin!

But it all looks much better now, both areas were  getting quite run down. (maybe things just improve when I move out :o)  The only shame is that Buxworth is split rather because of the by-pass, a bit like Hayfield.

My parents still live in the High Peak area so I visit quite often but don't walk there as often as I should!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy