Author Topic: Arncliffe Cote to Malham - advice  (Read 3348 times)

photonut

Arncliffe Cote to Malham - advice
« on: 20:57:40, 04/07/17 »
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone here has walked along the route from Arncliffe Cote (SD 946 703) towards Malham Tarn?

I'm curious to know if the path can be followed which branches off at Lee Gate High Mark (SD 924 679), branching off in a southerly/ south easterly heading, which eventually meets with Summerbottom Lane (SD 925 643).  I was thinking of talking this route back to Malham, rather than going via Gordale Scar.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Cheers
Lee

One F

Re: Arncliffe Cote to Malham - advice
« Reply #1 on: 18:44:40, 05/07/17 »
It's a fair few years ago now, but after reaching Lee Gate High Mark (from Arncliffe Cote) and heading for Bordley, my pal and I missed that very path. Mainly cos we were rabbiting on and putting the world to rights and being very wary about a bull which was casting dirty looks our way - well that's my excuse anyway. So we carried on towards Street Gate, but turned off before Street Gate and took the path over High Stoney Bank to join Mastiles Lane, before heading along Mastiles Lane to the turning off point for Bordley.

If I was following a similar route to the one you mention, i.e. from Arncliffe Cote to Malham, then it would be the path to Street Gate, a wander along the tarmac road to the Pennine Way and follow the PW back to Malham along Watlowes and down by Malham Cove.

One little delight to look out for on the early part of the path from Arncliffe Cote is the 'hidden' waterfall on Cote Gill. At the first gate follow the fence line down towards Cote Gill and pick up a sheep track/path which traverses the slope above the Gill. Follow the track and it will bring you to the waterfall. Well worth the detour.

photonut

« Reply #2 on: 19:43:03, 05/07/17 »
One little delight to look out for on the early part of the path from Arncliffe Cote is the 'hidden' waterfall on Cote Gill. At the first gate follow the fence line down towards Cote Gill and pick up a sheep track/path which traverses the slope above the Gill. Follow the track and it will bring you to the waterfall. Well worth the detour.

Hi One F,

Thank you for the top tip - I shall look out for that.

Cheers
Lee

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:59:40, 06/07/17 »
Did this walk just last week.  O0
Yes, the path is clear, there is a 'turn' but it is actually sign posted.
Got to go to an appointment just now, will reply more fully later.
Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

photonut

« Reply #4 on: 09:09:12, 06/07/17 »
Did this walk just last week.  O0
Yes, the path is clear, there is a 'turn' but it is actually sign posted.
Got to go to an appointment just now, will reply more fully later.

Fantastic, just the info I needed.  As always Peter you have the up to date information for my latest walks.

Cheers
Lee

PS - did Whernside last Saturday and thankfully it was not busy at all... quite the opposite (on top of Whernside at 09:10, not a Y3P'er about at all  :) )

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 13:26:16, 06/07/17 »
Hi,

The route is quite clear on the ground, except a certain points there are more than one 'clear' path.

I'm posting my track, it takes you as far as 'Street Gate', the tarn itself is then ahead of you to the right, maybe a mile away?

http://my.viewranger.com/track/details/NTI2ODExNQ==
Peter

photonut

« Reply #6 on: 13:57:13, 06/07/17 »
Hi Peter,

Thank you.  I have looked at your track and where you passed Linseed Head there is a path which (not shown on your map) branches off southwards and heads towards Mastiles Lane.

I'm hoping to take that path and then go towards Malham via a route other than the Cove or the Gordale Scar scramble  :)

Thank you once again for posting.

Did you visit the pub in Arncliffe?

Cheers
Lee

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 16:54:26, 06/07/17 »
Hi Peter,

Thank you.  I have looked at your track and where you passed Linseed Head there is a path which (not shown on your map) branches off southwards and heads towards Mastiles Lane.

I'm hoping to take that path and then go towards Malham via a route other than the Cove or the Gordale Scar scramble  :)

Thank you once again for posting.

Did you visit the pub in Arncliffe?

Cheers
Lee

Was it the 'Arncliffe lunch' name tag that gave the game away? Or maybe the length of time the track shows at the pub? LOL
Yes, I visited the pub. Can recommend the ham sarnie and bowl of chips.. though the lemonade left a lot to be desired.
The path you mention is actually on my map, but not as clearly as its on Open Street mapping. It takes you through the farm above Gordale. It's some time since I used that.
There is an alternative to scrambling down Gordale. If you walked from Street Gate towards Gordale, you don't fork left for the descent but carry on, over a stile then turn right following the path. You come down near the burger van. No scrambling.
I once went down Gordale, the crowd below were clearly waiting for me to fall..  :o
But then I had bumped into Lara Croft just before.. so didn't care much  ::)    
Peter

photonut

« Reply #8 on: 19:48:09, 06/07/17 »
Was it the 'Arncliffe lunch' name tag that gave the game away? Or maybe the length of time the track shows at the pub? LOL
Yes, I visited the pub. Can recommend the ham sarnie and bowl of chips.. though the lemonade left a lot to be desired.

Ha, neither... I just assumed  ;D

...There is an alternative to scrambling down Gordale. If you walked from Street Gate towards Gordale, you don't fork left for the descent but carry on, over a stile then turn right following the path. You come down near the burger van. No scrambling. I once went down Gordale, the crowd below were clearly waiting for me to fall..  :o   But then I had bumped into Lara Croft just before.. so didn't care much  ::)

I've never found that path which avoids the scramble but I've heard people mention it.  My walk is going to be reasonably long and I didn't want to finish it by going down Gordale Falls.  Besides which it's nice to find other routes.

(I have just looked for this path and it is not even on a map  :(  )

I don't think I'd mind if I bumped into Lara Croft either  ::)
« Last Edit: 19:56:08, 06/07/17 by photonut »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy