Author Topic: Which Smart phone mapping is best?  (Read 7060 times)

Stube

Re: Which Smart phone mapping is best?
« Reply #30 on: 11:29:45, 05/08/19 »
OSM maps are vector based - but not all apps use vector mapping and convert them to raster tiles which require much more memory space.
For example OSM vector maps for England south of Yorkshire occupy 1.1 GB, OSM raster map for Hampshire alone is 0.52 GB.
OS & Viewranger use raster maps, OsmAnd, for example, uses vector maps, as do Garmin GPS.
Vector maps, apart from useing less memory, zoom smoothly with no jaggies.

Literary Gal

« Reply #31 on: 20:10:50, 05/08/19 »
Perfect! OS map download does what I need and I can record tracks too so thank you everyone for helping. Now I need to work out how not to fill my phone with OS maps..... :)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 20:39:16, 05/08/19 »
You can plot or download routes that you want to walk and save the corresponding maps onto your phone for use when you have no data signal.  You can then delete the map from your phone when you do not need it anymore.  If you have a subscription you in effect have access to up to date 25k and 50k maps for the whole of the UK.
Solvitur Ambulando

Literary Gal

« Reply #33 on: 20:46:01, 05/08/19 »
You can plot or download routes that you want to walk and save the corresponding maps onto your phone for use when you have no data signal.  You can then delete the map from your phone when you do not need it anymore.  If you have a subscription you in effect have access to up to date 25k and 50k maps for the whole of the UK.

Looks like I have a lot to learn. At least I now have a backup when out walking with my paper maps which I prefer.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 20:54:54, 05/08/19 »

Looks like I have a lot to learn. At least I now have a backup when out walking with my paper maps which I prefer.
   When you get to terms with it you will be putting the paper map away and using that as the reserve!  I use OS maps on my Garmin as my first line and OS maps on my phone as my reserve.  The OS map for my walk is also printed off on to A4 sheet(s) that I carry in a plastic pocket folded up in my pocket.
Solvitur Ambulando

Literary Gal

« Reply #35 on: 20:57:29, 05/08/19 »
   When you get to terms with it you will be putting the paper map away and using that as the reserve!  I use OS maps on my Garmin as my first line and OS maps on my phone as my reserve.  The OS map for my walk is also printed off on to A4 sheet(s) that I carry in a plastic pocket folded up in my pocket.

I must admit that I do LOVE paper so I'm not sure I would use the phone for directions. Can I print from the OS app?

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 21:13:45, 05/08/19 »
Really?  Never noticed a contour issue on OSM maps I use.  Maybe I'm simply not paying enough attention  :-\
Quick comparison: OS, VR Free, OSM.
Actually I think I was comparing VR Free with OS, as there don't seem to be any contours on OSM now I look again (I tried via VR and direct on their website).
There is a lot of fine detail present on the OS map that is lost on the open ones here. Those little wiggles (spurs and reentrants) can be a significant part of navigation.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 21:57:29, 05/08/19 »

I must admit that I do LOVE paper so I'm not sure I would use the phone for directions. Can I print from the OS app?
. Yes you can print which means you can carry just the amount of map you need and your big map does not get moth eaten.  With an app you can see where you are all the time so the decision is just where to go next rather than working out where you are.
Solvitur Ambulando

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 22:13:43, 05/08/19 »
Perfect! OS map download does what I need and I can record tracks too so thank you everyone for helping. Now I need to work out how not to fill my phone with OS maps..... :)

Get an SD memory card for your phone (I have my maps saved to one rather than the phone's internal memory).  A bonus to doing this is if the phone conks out you can just pop the SD card into your new phone.

I also prefer paper maps and use digital as backup in a similar way to you (for a like-for-like spot check).  I like to have a digital trace of where I actually walked too - sometimes its fun to compare that to where I assumed / thought I walked  :D    ;D

Edit:  Glad you've got sorted by the way.  Happy wanderings  O0

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 22:43:34, 05/08/19 »
Quick comparison: OS, VR Free, OSM.
Actually I think I was comparing VR Free with OS, as there don't seem to be any contours on OSM now I look again (I tried via VR and direct on their website).
There is a lot of fine detail present on the OS map that is lost on the open ones here. Those little wiggles (spurs and reentrants) can be a significant part of navigation.

The problem is that particular OSM map. The ones I use have much better contours, I've posted screenshots before and will try to find it tomorrow.
Where there's a will ...

maxmarengo

« Reply #40 on: 13:01:49, 11/08/19 »

The problem is that particular OSM map. The ones I use have much better contours, I've posted screenshots before and will try to find it tomorrow.
I would be interested in seeing this. Can you share how to get this rendering of OSM on ViewRanger?

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 18:28:11, 11/08/19 »
Very keen to know where yours is from. I get the same lack of contours on OSM through VR and on the OSM website. Perhaps I've missed a setting?
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 18:45:19, 11/08/19 »
CachemapUK and Freizeitkarte have contours as well as showing both official and unofficial paths.  See post #34 on  http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=33861.30 for CacheMap.  Freizeitkarte and download files can be found on https://www.freizeitkarte-osm.de/garmin/en/more-countries.html
Solvitur Ambulando

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 19:04:04, 11/08/19 »
Cheers. Both look like great maps. However, neither get their contour data from OSM, so I think that perhaps OSM doesn't have any.

CacheMap credits both OSM and OS, so I suspect the contours come from OS.
Freizeitkarte credits OSM for 'mapping' but credits USGS and J de Feranti for 'contours'.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 06:07:36, 12/08/19 »
Very keen to know where yours is from. I get the same lack of contours on OSM through VR and on the OSM website. Perhaps I've missed a setting?

Sorry away on my hols so missed this post but answers now given by others  O0
Where there's a will ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy