Author Topic: odd experiences whilst out walking  (Read 2825 times)

myxpyr

Re: odd experiences whilst out walking
« Reply #15 on: 20:54:22, 05/07/20 »
About thirty years ago I briefly visited Chamonix on my car journey back from the Pyrenees. I got up early one morning having planned to ascend in the cable car to the Aiguille du Midi.
Waiting my turn in the queue I saw a man approach dressed in plus-fours and matching tweed jacket; velvet waistcoat; a wide brimmed hat; hob nailed boots and carrying a huge vintage alpenstock. Determined that he was photogenic I approached him to ask if he would pose for me. I asked him if he spoke English. "Yes, I do" he replied in a very well spoken manner. I then realised that he was none other than Chris Bonnington.
He was on his way to the Grepon with a film crew to make a  film of Mummery's ascent.
I have the picture somewhere in my archives and I'll upload it when I can find it

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 21:22:00, 05/07/20 »
I once arrived at Grimspound on Dartmoor, on a cool foggy day and could hear strange chanting.  The whole pound was surrounded by, what I assume were modern druid types.   I walked past into the center of the pound where two folk were lying in the little stone area.  I left the same way I came in.  Harmless but weird in the fog. 

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 23:12:43, 05/07/20 »
In 2015 on the GR10 in France, I'd met a couple of people and we were approaching the large village of Loudonville. It had rained that morning and we had to walk downhill for a while on a smooth and wet tarmac zig-zag road. Suddenly we heard a crash behind us, a middle-aged male cyclist in full Lycra gear had taken a corner too fast and had spread himself and his expensive racing bike all over the road.

We rushed back to help him, he didn't look too pretty but he brushed us aside. He grabbed for his mobile phone and phoned his wife to collect him, she was down in the village waiting for him. He was a bit bloody, in some pain and he was embarrassed as well.

She soon appeared in their Volkswagon motor caravan, they were on holiday from Ireland. She told us that her husband wasn't really a cyclist, it was their routine that she would drive him and bike up to the top of a Col and she would then drive back to their agreed meeting place. He, in Lycra and on bike would then freewheel down the road. He liked to relive moments from the Tour de France, but only the downhill sections!

Loved that one!

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 23:17:27, 05/07/20 »
I have had a couple of encounters with military aircraft, that are probably not that uncommon, but seem very odd at the timeMy wife and I were walking from the summit of Whiteless Pike on the way to Grasmoor. Two jets passed so low over us that we felt the need to duck. They then descended into the valley so that we could look down on them.On another occasion I was scrambling up a steep section of Pen Yr Ole Wen and nearly jumped out of my skin and off the rock face when two jets suddenly roared along the A5 below me. Fortunately, I had four points of contact at the time.

Driving along the road above Garrigill towards Cow Green Reservoir in my bright white shiny car, two very loud jets came low over the hill straight for me! F-35 Lightenings, believe it was before RAF got their hands on them! Using me as target practice!!
« Last Edit: 23:34:02, 05/07/20 by Dodgylegs »

Doddy

« Reply #19 on: 09:40:58, 06/07/20 »
On the Wolds Way I was approaching the Church in the deserted village of Wharram Percy when I heard music. I thought it must be my ears. It turned out to be a couple in the Church one playing the flute; lovely it was too.

cornwallcoastpathdweller

« Reply #20 on: 14:09:59, 07/07/20 »
Walking outside Zennor earlier today and came across a well endowed ladies bra lying right on the path in the middle of nowhere.  No camping spots nearby so unsure how it could have been left behind by accident.

Willing to return it provided ownership can be confirmed Cinderella style  :D
one step then another then another then a bench - please?

myxpyr

« Reply #21 on: 19:33:10, 09/07/20 »
Here's the pic I mentioned earlier:

sparnel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 22:07:26, 09/07/20 »
Liked the bit about the lady's bra......I've never seen a man's bra. Have you?

cornwallcoastpathdweller

« Reply #23 on: 23:22:50, 09/07/20 »

Well, i was assuming she was a lady, but leaving such articles on the footpath i could be mistaken.
one step then another then another then a bench - please?

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 08:18:17, 10/07/20 »

There are some men who could benefit from such

An unexplored market?
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 08:49:08, 10/07/20 »
There are some men who could benefit from such

An unexplored market?
I bet you underestimate the weird corners of the internet but I'll let you be the one to google it and report back.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 10:34:46, 10/07/20 »
I bet you underestimate the weird corners of the internet but I'll let you be the one to google it and report back.

I rather wish I'd not accepted that challenge :-/
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 10:42:26, 10/07/20 »
In 2015 on the GR10 in France, I'd met a couple of people and we were approaching the large village of Loudonville. It had rained that morning and we had to walk downhill for a while on a smooth and wet tarmac zig-zag road. Suddenly we heard a crash behind us, a middle-aged male cyclist in full Lycra gear had taken a corner too fast and had spread himself and his expensive racing bike all over the road.

We rushed back to help him, he didn't look too pretty but he brushed us aside. He grabbed for his mobile phone and phoned his wife to collect him, she was down in the village waiting for him. He was a bit bloody, in some pain and he was embarrassed as well.

She soon appeared in their Volkswagon motor caravan, they were on holiday from Ireland. She told us that her husband wasn't really a cyclist, it was their routine that she would drive him and bike up to the top of a Col and she would then drive back to their agreed meeting place. He, in Lycra and on bike would then freewheel down the road. He liked to relive moments from the Tour de France, but only the downhill sections!
did you call him Stephen Rouge, instead of Roche, though it was the Scottish Robert Miller that liked to fall off.

I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 11:03:20, 10/07/20 »
I rather wish I'd not accepted that challenge :-/
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Whitby Mick

« Reply #29 on: 06:57:03, 14/07/20 »
A couple of years ago I was walking along the old Whitby - Scarborough railway & came across a guy dressed as a Leprechaun. He was sitting at the side of the track playing a penny whistle and as I passed, he paused and we wished each other 'good morning' before I continued on my way. 
Retirement is like owning an old car, you must get as many miles as you can from it before it breaks down forever.

www.our-coast-to-coast.weebly.com

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy