Author Topic: Lyke Wake Walk  (Read 12043 times)

new shoes

Re: Lyke Wake Walk
« Reply #15 on: 09:26:17, 10/10/07 »
I didn't really see any signs of damage to the countryside. A fair bit of the route is over well defined paths and some roads, although pretty rough and steep in places. There's a really hard slog along a disused railway track, before you trek off into the heather, but people walk singly along sheep trails, so nothing is damaged. And in the bog section you hop between the tussocks which spring back up after you've passed, so no real damage there. When you are in open moorland you trek along stony rocky sheep tracks, so I don't think walkers would cause any damage to the environment.

Yes I'm looking forward to wearing my coffin badge with pride

Lykewakewitch

« Reply #16 on: 16:51:26, 13/10/07 »
Hi
I did the Lyke Wake Walk last week for MacMillan also, that was my 2nd time this year. The MacMillan support was excellent, the weather was perfect and the company was good. It's a tough and challenging walk but just the sights themselves are worth the effort.
The Lyke Wake Walk was founded by Bill Cowley in 1955 who was a local farmer 
he suggested to go across the moors over the highest points from Osmotherley to Ravenscar. If you would like more details or advice about the walk please contact me and I will be happy to help. Me and my husband are both members of The New Lyke Wake Club or check out the website www.lykewake.org [nofollow]

The walk has a fascinating history which should be looked into before you do it as this takes your mind off the actual walking. You can search for named stones, crosses and howes along the way which can spark some interesting conversations.

Well done to all the people who completed the walk on 5/6th October 2007 for MacMillan.

Lykewakewitch

« Reply #17 on: 17:11:51, 13/10/07 »
Hi
I did the Lyke Wake Walk last week for MacMillan also, that was my 2nd time this year. The MacMillan support was excellent, the weather was perfect and the company was good. It's a tough and challenging walk but just the sights themselves are worth the effort.
The Lyke Wake Walk was founded by Bill Cowley in 1955 who was a local farmer 
he suggested to go across the moors over the highest points from Osmotherley to Ravenscar. If you would like more details or advice about the walk please contact me and I will be happy to help. Me and my husband are both members of The New Lyke Wake Club or check out the website www.lykewake.org [nofollow]

The walk has a fascinating history which should be looked into before you do it as this takes your mind off the actual walking. You can search for named stones, crosses and howes along the way which can spark some interesting conversations.

Well done to all the people who completed the walk on 5/6th October 2007 for MacMillan.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy