Author Topic: Walking in the Peaks  (Read 1728 times)

telbert

Walking in the Peaks
« on: 20:33:41, 11/02/19 »
Hi all, I think I may have time to finally get round to spending a few days walking  in the Peak District in the next few weeks. I could do with a bit of help with the planning though. So 3/4 days walking ,ideally from one village to another. Starting at about 8/9 am and i'd want to be at my destination by mid/late afternoon for a bit of a mooch around and then settle down for the night with a few beers, a bite to eat and a comfortable bed for the night  before starting off again the next day.  I will be travelling up from London by train so would need to start and finish my trip within easy access to the railways. So can anyone offer any assistance or information to me please? All replies most gratefully accepted.

telbert

Re: Walking in the Peaks
« Reply #1 on: 22:21:51, 11/02/19 »
Sorry , just realised I've posted this in General. Could the mods please move this to the Peak District  section please. Ta.

Zizag

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:26:14, 12/02/19 »
Telbert
Edale is a good base for walks in the Peak district.
On Train Line from Manchester.
Accommodation  at Nags Head and Rambler Inn, also B/B available .
excellent walking hiking area locally  tracks trails  Kinder scout ,Mam Tor .
Also villages like Castleton were you can spend a day looking around shops ,pubs
also Hope and Bamford  villages .

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:44:37, 12/02/19 »
I can recommend Ollerbrook Barn if you want a b&b in Edale, stayed there twice at the start of my Pennine Way walks.  There's also a youth hostel there if you prefer hostels, and a couple of campsites.
Where there's a will ...

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:44:47, 12/02/19 »
Worth having a look at Derwent Valley Heritage walk, especially if you like walking close to rivers, as opposed to hill walking.

51 miles in total, most of it through really good scenery. It predominantly follows the Derwent from its source near Bamford to where it runs into river Trent.

Obviously...giving state of public rights of way in U.K, there are sections where you lose sight of river, but knowing overall aim is to track river, makes navigation pretty easy.

Easy to do if you just "base" yourself in Sheffield or Chesterfield, public transport links make it easy to get to start of walk each day, then back to base at night.

I think main advantage...as opposed to basing trip on Edale is that you see a greater variety of Peak landscapes, and get a better feel for overall region.

nick949

« Reply #5 on: 12:53:41, 13/02/19 »
Edale Youth Hostel is great off-season.  Apart from the staff (the cook cooked me a very nice meal for one), I had the place entirely to myself while hiking part of the Pennine Way in early March 2013, although I almost got lost in the immense wheelchair accessible showers  8) .

Nick
Book: "Actually, I'm English: rediscovering my homeland on foot and by motorbike" (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01AGQIX1K)

telbert

« Reply #6 on: 21:45:10, 02/09/20 »
So its almost 18 months later and due to one thing or another i'm only just finding time to do this. Im looking at driving up to Chesterfield on Friday 11th Sep ( or possibly the following Friday) staying in a hotel in the city center and using that as a base until driving down again Tuesday.  The center looks good for places to eat drink and buy any essentials i might need and it looks like theres good bus services to Bakewell, Matlock Edale etc. I would also want to get to Kinder Scout & Ladybower by public transport if possible.  Does this sound OK? Any  advice/ tips/recommendations will be gratefully accepted.

nb888

« Reply #7 on: 16:40:11, 05/09/20 »
Personally I would suggest using Sheffield as a base instead of Chesterfield, I am not sure about the buses from Chesterfield but certainly with the trains you will have to get a train to Sheffield and then change there for stops in the Hope valley, eg Edale, Bamford etc etc and due to connection times this will add time onto your day as well as being more limiting. There is a station "Dore & Totley" which is in a nice area of Sheffield although I am not sure about what holiday accommodation is like there. The other thing with Chesterfield is I personally feel it is a bit out of the way even if you are driving you will need to drive for a while before hitting the "action" so to speak whereas in Sheff it is very nearby, eg grindleford is about 15 min on the train.
I have just got back from 4 days in the peaks, I stayed in a self catering house in Buxton and used that as a base to go round where I wanted to go. Because I live in Nottingham the western part of the peaks is a little far for a day trip and so I used this as an opportunity to go on some long day hikes to the roaches, luds church, wilboarclough, shutlingsloe, macc forest, errwood, most of these places would be described as "wild moorland" type landscapes which is great for me and I will have explored some places that I've not been before. It depends what you want, there are a lot of woods and moorland near Grindleford, Edale has obviously got Kinder Scout which can get quite busy, to the south you get Mam tor and Winnats Pass, Chinley although more remote also offers good opportunity especially if you go to the south rather than the more explored north / Kinder area. Have stayed in the Lamb Inn near Chinley and definitely recommend it...  Buxton is good option although a bit "end of the world" place in terms of public transport, so if you are arriving by rail from London you may be able to go to Manc and change there for the train to Buxton.

To find places I would like to explore I usually take an Ordnance Survey 1 : 25000 map and just look at it for a time - I know I like walking in remote terrain and woods / moorland / steep ascents descents etc so I look for that on the map. Once you get an eye for it you can plan a route fairly well.  Figure out how the paths and roads join up and should be ok to create a route. I would say 90% of paths in the peak district are well marked / signposted it just tends to be on the fringes the paths tend to be a bit sketchy. If you have a GPS app on your phone and / or the OS maps app then so much the better.

Happy to provide more info about any specifics if I can, been walking around the peaks on and off for a few years.

telbert

« Reply #8 on: 07:49:04, 08/09/20 »
Thanks , lots of info there.  I've got accommodation sorted in Chesterfield from this Friday to Monday and I've mapped a few walks  , just need to find a decent pub in Chesterfield for the evenings, hopefully with a bit of music.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy