Author Topic: Two smaller Scottish hills one in Sutherland and the other in Caithness.  (Read 2236 times)

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
Making use of the good weather up here in recent times. Morven has frequently reminded me of it being a prominent hill when viewed on a clear day from the Moray Firth.
Both seem to fit into the Graham category of Scottish hills.

http://gaffr.blogspot.co.uk

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
I believe Morven is also a Corbett. It is not too far from me and is on the list for a hike.

Smaller hills can be interesting, as there are often less people around.

What was the second hill?

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
Yes there is another Morven...north of the Dee...I recall reaching it from the East.
Like so many Scottish hills there are several with the same name...what is maybe half a dozen Geal Charns.
With Morven I guess that translating from the old language Morven is the big hill.  Surprising that there are not more of these.
The hill in Glen Lone Sutherland is Beinn Dhorain also another one with a similar name that is a Munro.

astaman

Morven is an old favourite of mine. I've always liked the Caithness hills - what they lack in height they make up for in drama. Like Ben Griam Beg and Ben Griam Mor, the Maiden Paps and others they stand out all the more because they stand out in relative isolation from each other. Even the rounded tops of Scaraben. I used to stay with a friend who worked on the Berriedale estate and Morven was always a special walk. One day walking up the Berriedale river on my way up the hill I met an old fellow who was a retired estate worker. When I told him I was going up Morven he said that he thought it was better sitting on top of Scaraben looking at Morven than sitting on Morven looking at Scaraben. I changed course and he was right of course. A lesson for life taught by experience.

Good report and I like your photos. Looking forward to reading about your Corsica walk now. Thanks.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
The Caithness Morven has a more interesting profile than the one In Aberdeenshire

astaman

The Caithness Morven has a more interesting profile than the one In Aberdeenshire

That's certainly true.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member

I cycled over the Glen Loth road many years ago - lovely wild country, but never again!

And Maiden Pap and Morven form such a dramatic skyline when approaching from the north - the space between these dramatically shaped hills adds to their prominence (your photos capture that sense of 'big country'). We headed up Maiden Pap first, then crossed an area of high moorland, almost stumbling over fawns hiding in the heater, before the steep slog up Morven. One of the few places that I have seen cloudberry in flower.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
Very fine area for walking. Well Richardh one of us is in the early 80's and I am late seventies so we just kind-of take it a bit easier....one summit during the walk was about right at this time. Taking in several during the walk is getting increasingly more difficult.
Almost forgot to say that the odd patch of Clouberries can be seem in the Cairngorms but the greatest number that I have come across was quite near home near the top of Coire Odhair on Carn an Fheicheadain above Kingussie.
« Last Edit: 15:14:23, 20/05/19 by vizzavona »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
I think that I was a mere 30 years old when I climbed Maiden Pap and Morven, vizzavona, and I really hope that I can get up Morven when I am 80!

Mel

• Veteran Member
Great write up and pics vizzavona  O0

I am completely unfamiliar with the area so thanks for posting  :)

vghikers

• Veteran Member
A great TR and pictures that capture the character of the area. The contours of Morvern look fearsome, no weakness on any side  :o
There are so many of these really wild areas up there, if only they weren't so damned far.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Well worth the effort, Mel, VG - many years ago, we used to drive from Snowdonia to the Far North for a couple of weeks of camping every year.

Assynt, Durness, Torridon, Applecross....nothing else like it in Britain - God's own country, as far as I am concerned.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
Well worth the effort, Mel, VG - many years ago, we used to drive from Snowdonia to the Far North for a couple of weeks of camping every year.

Assynt, Durness, Torridon, Applecross....nothing else like it in Britain - God's own country, as far as I am concerned.
It sure is a fantastic part of the world. I try to get across to the west coast as often as I can.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy