Author Topic: Winter sleeping bag suggestions  (Read 1147 times)

Ronin83

Winter sleeping bag suggestions
« on: 15:12:07, 26/12/19 »
Hi guys n gals,

Looking for advice/suggestions for a winter sleeping bag. Ive camped in Wales in March just after the beast from the east couple of years ago. I woke up cold, but not terrible.
I want to winter camp. When I get in at night I'm usually hot, but wake up cold in the morning, especially my toes even with thick socks.

So...
I won't use it often, it's not like I live in scotland and go to mountains often and won't hike for silly distances or days on end so not worth spending a fortune or getting the tiniest, lightest ever, although size and weight are still a reasonable concern.
I'd rather synthetic than down. Let's not start a war on that one.
Snugpak seem to be good quality for price so considering their stuff

Owen

• Veteran Member
Re: Winter sleeping bag suggestions
« Reply #1 on: 15:23:10, 26/12/19 »
Have a look at Alpkit website, not used any of their bags but they get a good write up.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 16:15:25, 26/12/19 »
If you want synthetic the best out there IMO is the Mountain Hardwear Lamina bags.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/mountain-hardwear-laminat-15f-9c-reg-sleeping-bag/

This site has the right weight for the bag 1380g, some other sites list it as 1158g which is not correct. The comfort rating for this bag is -4, the limit is -9

They do have other lower rated bags which are lighter, I have 2 of their sleeping bags, including the one above and a lighter less warm bag I use in warmer conditions.

Here are some of their other bags:
https://www.needlesports.com/catalogue/department.aspx?node_id=3b66c833-35fc-471d-bd42-ad710f508fb9&sleeping+bags.brand=mountain+hardwear

Hate will never win

Ronin83

« Reply #3 on: 16:30:07, 26/12/19 »
That lamina bag has a brutally tight legs area tho. That would make me a bit claustrophobic. I know mummy bags are the common thing now

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:00:11, 26/12/19 »
Snugpak has some good value synthetic bags for winter.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:35:25, 26/12/19 »
I would also like to winter camp more but I've decided to try to adapt the one I already own. I do not own a sleeping bag, I have a down sleeping quilt so I started looking at my problem as me needing a complete sleeping system. I have my groundsheet and I plan to put over that a Poundland windscreen cover, or something similar. I tried my local shop a few days ago but they didn't have any, I'll look again in the next few days. I already own a Thermarest NeoAir mattress, I've never identified that cold is coming through it from the ground upwards to me, but it is possible, especially if I try out colder conditions than I have so far. My quilt doesn't seem to have the same heat containing qualities that it once had but I'm going to stick with it. So my plan at the moment is to concentrate on what are the best clothes for me to wear at night. I already own leggings (from Decathlon) and they once covered keep my legs warm as toast, I will also wear warm loose socks (again from Decathlon) the real issue for me is my torso. Last November I was really cold in the Lakes, I wore a different and thinner pair of leggings and didn't wear socks. When I next camp I will put on my spare baselayer and I can then call upon my fleece and my synthetic Alpkit warm jacket and I will carry with me my Rab Microlight jacket as well. On my head, I'll wear my beanie and have my lovely £1.49 gloves from Decathlon close by. I'll try this out when I get to La Palma in early January, high up might be cold enough for me to experiment. If I can't get it right I'll have to think again.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:42:19, 26/12/19 »
That lamina bag has a brutally tight legs area tho.

The black footbox measures 56cm/22in at its widest and 36cm/14in at the narrowest bit at the bottom. Unless you have giant feet and legs there is plenty of room. If you are wanting a synthetic envelope style sleeping bag for winter it will be heavier and bulkier than a mummy bag.
Hate will never win

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:51:53, 26/12/19 »
The black footbox measures 56cm/22in at its widest and 36cm/14in at the narrowest bit at the bottom. Unless you have giant feet and legs there is plenty of room. If you are wanting a synthetic envelope style sleeping bag for winter it will be heavier and bulkier than a mummy bag.
14 inches wide seems very restrictive to me. I do have quite large feet (11 extra wide) and this would give me very little movement. 22 inches at the widest also doesn’t seem that generous. Personally, I would be much happier carrying a bit more weight to be comfortable at night.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:04:13, 26/12/19 »
Most of the lightweight mummy sleeping bags are this size at the very bottom of the bag.

I wish I hadn't bothered taking the time to suggest a bag  ::)
Hate will never win

Ronin83

« Reply #9 on: 21:19:18, 26/12/19 »
April, I do appreciate your input.
it's more to do with restricting my legs from moving. I just find it really frustrating and claustrophobic. It's also harder to turn or side sleep.
It may be an unavoidable compromise.
Haven't seen anything close to snugpak for stats, price and quality combo. Not yet

Ronin83

« Reply #10 on: 09:41:35, 02/01/20 »
So, if anyone's interested, I went for snugpak softie expansion 4. Got it for £70 which seems a bargain. I'll probably do a review when it arrives and I give it a test.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 12:09:39, 02/01/20 »
So, if anyone's interested, I went for snugpak softie expansion 4. Got it for £70 which seems a bargain. I'll probably do a review when it arrives and I give it a test.
You may need a good liner, I got rid of one of these due to the fact that it never lived up to its "temperature" promise. I went down the quilt route.
Too little, too late, too bad......

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 16:45:58, 02/01/20 »
My sleeping quilt has a mummy type foot box, it can be restrictive, especially when its warm, so to cool down I often have one foot out and the other in the box, or both feet out of the box. When I start to feel the need for more warmth my feet go back in the box. Easy to do with a quilt not so easy with a bag.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy