Author Topic: Hello to everyone  (Read 998 times)

Darrin

Hello to everyone
« on: 20:01:31, 25/05/19 »
Hello Everyone,

I have just joined the forum and wanted to say hello to everyone and introduce myself. I am 47 with type 2 diabetes. I have worked night shift for 27 years and all i was doing was sitting at a computer, so as you can imagine my health is not in great shape at all. I am very unfit and overweight at nearly 19 stone. I have however recently changed jobs and now work only 5 days a week and not 6 and the hours are pretty normal too working 6 till 2, which has given me a chance to change my life. I have always loved the British countryside ever since i was a kid and able to get out and see it. I am hoping to get back into shape with walking and cycling, out in our beautiful countryside. Has anyone else been in a similar situation that could offer up some advice? Actually any help and advice would be very much appreciated.

Happy walking everyone 

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Hello to everyone
« Reply #1 on: 20:11:09, 25/05/19 »
Hi Darrin, welcome to the forum.
Where are you based?

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:18:42, 25/05/19 »
Welcome Darrin from Aberdeenshire. You will find there are a few of us ‘larger’ walkers on the forum. There is a thread in the Hikers Bar about diet and nutrition. Walking is a great form of exercise and can help you lose weight. Eating better can also help and it is an advantage if you can do both. I suggest gradually building up your walking. If you attempt too much too soon, you might become a bit disheartened or pick up injuries and set yourself back. Getting out in the countryside is also good for the mind and soul. I am a bit frustrated at the moment, as my walking has been curtailed for about 11 months through injuries - Achilles’ tendon and then back.

Darrin

« Reply #3 on: 21:06:42, 25/05/19 »
Hi Ridge, I am based in County Durham

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:48:01, 25/05/19 »
Welcome from a Northumbrian exile doon sooth in Lincolnshire.  Weight loss is not easy as it involves changes in long standing habits and a strong mind. Actually getting fit and able to do long distance walks also involves a change of habits and a strong mind. I found that doing one automatically helped the other.
Too little, too late, too bad......

astaman

« Reply #5 on: 00:03:44, 26/05/19 »
Welcome from Shetland Darrin. I too am diabetic. Walking helps weight loss and weight loss helps manage the condition. Good luck with it and keep going.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 09:06:54, 26/05/19 »

Welcome from Orkney, Darrin.

County Durham - you've got some decent countryside on your doorstep.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy