Author Topic: A Shropshire lad  (Read 1198 times)

MIB

A Shropshire lad
« on: 09:03:14, 23/07/19 »
Hi all, been walking more the last few years as I am getting a little long in the tooth for mountain biking and motorcycles. I completed the West Highland Way in a very leisurely 7 days over Easter, felt I could have done it in 5 but was my first long distance walk. I walk with a dog. I have joined as I find I am coming across cattle more and more , they do not like my dog, so am looking for routes where they can be avoided, thinking of St Cuthberts way in September. Any advice appreciated.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: A Shropshire lad
« Reply #1 on: 10:13:51, 23/07/19 »
Welcome from Portsmouth. I hiked part the St. Cuthberts Way in April and really enjoyed it. Started at Kirk Yetholme and walked west to Peebles, look out for the old church coffee shop in Morebattle. Once at Peebles I then joined an old cattle trail to Edinburgh. The highest point is Wideopen Hill, short grass up and short grass down. I used the site www.walkhighlands.co.uk to plan it. I really liked Melrose, small, compact and the camp site is just at the end of the town street. Lovely coffee and cake shop there, 'Apples for Jam.'

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:18:00, 23/07/19 »
Good morning.  Welcome from Devon - are you a fan of A E Houseman then?
Solvitur Ambulando

MIB

« Reply #3 on: 11:07:05, 23/07/19 »
Thank you for the speedy reply’s, I used the walkthehighlands site to help with my walk, it is very good and yes although I won’t claim to be to knowledgeable regarding poetry but it was something I read when growing up and stuck with me inspiring me to move all the way from Staffordshire to Shropshire. 🙂
I have had some glowing reports of St Cuthberts way but just a little nervous as it seems to be cattle country.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:37:25, 23/07/19 »
Welcome from another Shropshire Lad.
 I was walking on Charlton Hill under the Wrekin a few years ago, and the farmer came across the field I was in, it turned out to be someone I knew from back in my farming days, He told me that there was not a single dairy herd between Wellington and Shrewsbury, not that will help you with LDP's in Scotland. Landowners are lazy farmers, livestock are hard work, so it is possible to look for stock free areas for walking.
Best of luck, Mrs BWW and I enjoy the livestock, she was a bit wary of a Shorthorn bull running with some Highland cows in Glen Shia last week, but he had his mind on the job, so we were no threat.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:41:32, 23/07/19 »
Although I a saw a few cattle (in the distance) I don't remember having to walk through any fields of them when on the St Cuthberts Way. What I did notice however, which I think it was a valid observation, from Keswick where I started, was a distinct lack of cattle en route. Definately, one field just as I left Hadrians Wall to go north on the Pennine Way, but the rest of the animals were sheep. A farmer told me that sheep prices were offering a better profit.

MIB

« Reply #6 on: 12:40:14, 23/07/19 »
Thanks BWW the Wrekin is my weekly dog walking/keep fit hill. I seem to be unlucky with cattle, no matter where I go I come across them and occasionally can be intimidating, I am near Newport and there are plenty here. My Border Terrier is no problem I can pick her up and she seems to become invisible to cattle but my German Wirehaired pointer stirs them up without trying.

MIB

« Reply #7 on: 12:45:15, 23/07/19 »
Thanks GWM that’s a bit reassuring, I don’t mind a diversion but if it’s a big day then I worry about the extra mileage for the dog/s. In saying that my little BT seems to go on and on without any issues.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:18:14, 23/07/19 »
We3lcome from Orkney.  :)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:44:24, 23/07/19 »
Welcome from Aberdeenshire

MIB

« Reply #10 on: 19:57:33, 23/07/19 »
Thank you , both wonderful parts of the country, I know the North East Scottish coast quite well from visiting clients at food cold stores but never been to Orkney , that will change in the next year or so. Retired now so have the time 🤪

Oldtramp

« Reply #11 on: 13:46:27, 24/07/19 »
Welcome.

St C's Way is a good route.  One day to Jedburgh, another to Kirk Y, third day to Wooler and fourth to the Gt North Road at Fenwick.  There's some beautiful remote country and the first day is the hardest, crossing the Eildon Hills and later entering a maze of loops around Harestones. Do that and you'll be fine for the rest.

After Fenwick you've got the crossing to Lindisfarne. Go on a falling tide, starting once traffic can begin to move over the road causeway  then, after the bridge over the channel, pick up the Pilgrim crossing, marked by poles in the sand and for a nasty short stretch, mud (it's at the end of a fragment of salt marsh that you cross).  We did the crossing barefoot in October, and for an hour afterwards I couldn't feel my toes.  However, the mud contains the wellington boots sucked off previous walkers, so they're not a good idea either.  And it'd overtop walking boots.

MIB

« Reply #12 on: 20:48:35, 24/07/19 »
Thanks Oldtramp, very informative, now I just need to figure out how to get a dog or 2 over the mud 🥴

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 04:22:14, 28/07/19 »
Hi MIB & welcome from the Peak District. O0

Tracey :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy