Author Topic: [TR] Windsor and Eton Walk  (Read 1002 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: [TR] Windsor and Eton Walk
« Reply #1 on: 10:17:07, 09/10/19 »
My wife and I used to live in Windsor, we bought a flat just off a roundabout next to the Great Park. We never liked it but lived there for 2 years in the 80s. We moved out because of pollution, heavy traffic and because of ridiculous neighbours.  We still worked in London in those days and like now, as then, an absolute problematic journey into the city and then back out again. So we moved to Lymington, better of course, but so difficult getting through the New Forest, especially in the summer to get to work on time. This time of our life was our 'silly period' when without thinking (we just worked) we just were on a single track of getting a bigger and bigger house. Then we became enlightened and realised we were not in love with our pile of bricks at all and I hated the do-it-yourself, having to mow the lawn and tending to the garden in particular! So we decided to downsized and have lived in our present house for 34 years and still love it and the area we decided to move to. Best decision we ever made. It was all thanks to our Windsor experience that we decided to move 'onwards and upwards' so thank you very much for the photos, description and for the memories that stirred in us about our time there.

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:30:13, 09/10/19 »
We moved out because of … ridiculous neighbours.
I expect the Queen speaks highly of you as well! ;D ;D ;D

cpjmathieson

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:16:42, 09/10/19 »
. It was all thanks to our Windsor experience that we decided to move 'onwards and upwards' so thank you very much for the photos, description and for the memories that stirred in us about our time there.

London and its suburbs are great to visit, but so to live. I hope to move out as soon as I retire... glad youre enjoying your new life!

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:23:50, 09/10/19 »
Great TR.We lived in Staines for ten years. My brother told me of this great walk from there along the Thames to the Great Park then over the hill to Ascot.
He reckoned the trip over the hill to Ascot was at most 15 minutes.

I rang him up when I eventually arrived back home, turned out he had never walked from Windsor to Ascot and around the route he gave me. He was a Cavalry man and they used to exercise the horses on that route, and they always went at a canter in his days (1950s).

Never trusted his advice ever again.

Too little, too late, too bad......

cpjmathieson

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 06:00:02, 10/10/19 »
walk from there along the Thames to the Great Park then over the hill to Ascot.
He reckoned the trip over the hill to Ascot was at most 15 minutes.

Never trusted his advice ever again.

:2funny:  15 minute walk.  Probably take that from the Thames to the start of the Great walk  :D

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 15:10:25, 10/10/19 »
Well I hope you tugged your forelocks  ;D
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy