Author Topic: Wind Farms  (Read 4536 times)

Chris

• Administrator
Wind Farms
« on: 11:28:14, 13/04/06 »
With the price of oil and gas going through the roof I suspect we might see a lot more wind farms like this one above Holmfirth. Are they an eyesore or is there something strangely beautiful about them?

Crag Rat

Re: Wind Farms
« Reply #1 on: 12:49:10, 28/07/06 »
Hi,

I'm new to this forum and I'd like to say it's about time that someone setup something like this!!!

Anyway.  Wind Farms.  I'm surprised that this topic has not received a reaction.  I hate wind farms - I think that for the cost of implementing them against the amount of energy produced they are a complete waste of time.  Don't get me wrong, I'm totally for renewable energy but this is not the way.  Also they are an eyesore - one argument is to build them several miles out to sea but then of course this increases the cost of construction making them far less cost efficient.  I'm afraid nuclear power seems the only way to go....

If anyone has a different view I'd love to hear it!
« Last Edit: 12:39:02, 31/07/06 by Crag Rat »
....because it's there....

Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 23:04:32, 30/07/06 »
I think they can make an interesting distraction if passed on a long walk. But I wouldn't want to see them everywhere.

In Holland there are miles and miles of huge wind turbines along the roads. We drove past them in the mist and they looked really earie. Doesn't seem to bother the Dutch. But they've been building windmills for centuries.

Landgirl

« Reply #3 on: 18:56:20, 31/07/06 »
We have a wonderful view from our garden across the Welland valley - but there's a proposal to build some of these on the opposite side, in our line of sight. Like Crag Rat, I do believe in eco-friendly energy, but there are arguments raging about possible damage to the environment - apparently they can be a threat to birds, and we have red kites and ospreys in the area. I'm not keen on having them in my backyard, so to speak, but if they do arrive I'll try to appreciate the setting sun seen behind them!

marmot

« Reply #4 on: 17:43:11, 11/08/06 »
I work right next to a wind farm in West Cumbria, so I've had time to get used to them, and I still see them as thing of simplistic beauty - certainly better looking than the factories sited there.  True, they don't generate masses of power but they must pay for themselves, even despite ROCs payments....?

Also, if sited properly (Eg. not like the ones proposed on Lewis) the RSPB are not against them.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy