Author Topic: TR - Snowdon via the Watkin Path  (Read 6074 times)

- Dave -

• Veteran Member
TR - Snowdon via the Watkin Path
« on: 18:05:18, 24/06/18 »
Back on Snowdon again, exploiting Mays glorious weather. IMO, the Watkin Path is the best route up Snowdon (excluding Crib Goch of course!)

http://allthegearbutnoidea.blogspot.com/2018/05/snowdon-via-watkin-path.html

I'm on the internet!

Check out my blog here:

http://allthegearbutnoidea.blogspot.co.uk

214/214 Wainwrights

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: TR - Snowdon via the Watkin Path
« Reply #1 on: 18:29:49, 24/06/18 »

Nice photos Dave; reminds me of my previous existence when I lived in Snowdonia.

Never was too much of a fan of the Watkin though; lower down it is beautiful, but I didn't like that final loose slog up the steep slope to the summit.

A favourite way up of mine was from Llanberis; taking in Moel Eilio, Foel Gron, Foel Goch and Moel Cynghorion as an appetiser, before joining the Ranger path for the main course. Return via the Llanberis path.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:10:38, 24/06/18 »
Ascending Snowdon from Cwm Glas is a far better alternative, and its rare for you to have anyone for company.
Last month, i parked in Nant Peris, and went up into Cwm Glas, and joined the Snowdon Horseshoe route at Bwlch Glas.
Its just a traverse of Crib Y Ddysgyl and on towards Snowdon.
None of the terrain is difficult, and unlike the upper reaches of the Watkin Path, its solid ground all the way.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:43:40, 25/06/18 »
Ascending Snowdon from Cwm Glas is a far better alternative, and its rare for you to have anyone for company.
Last month, i parked in Nant Peris, and went up into Cwm Glas, and joined the Snowdon Horseshoe route at Bwlch Glas.
Its just a traverse of Crib Y Ddysgyl and on towards Snowdon.
None of the terrain is difficult, and unlike the upper reaches of the Watkin Path, its solid ground all the way.

What do you mean about the "solid ground"?

I've booked a cottage near Snowden in the summer and we'll be going up Snowden with the family. They fit and capable but more extreme or dangerous-looking routes would scare my wife for sure, so not going Grib Goch with them. I'd been looking at the Watkins route....

Surfer99

« Reply #4 on: 09:36:20, 25/06/18 »
Stunning pictures, will be there in a few weeks so hopefully the current weather holds out until then.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:13:08, 25/06/18 »
The entire route of the Cmw Glas walk, is on firm solid ground, and even the boggy sections can be avoided, and even the scree below Bwlch Coch, as well if neccessary.
Its a route that few people take, simply because it looks so intimidating, all those huge rocky buttresses below Crib Gochs North ridge.
The southern slopes of the Watkin path up to the summit of Snowdon, are some of the most eroded in the entire National Park, they are even more severe than the path coming of the Glyders towards Bwlch Tryfan.
Until you reach Bwlch Y Saethau, the Watkin path is a gem of a walk, its that final push to the summit that's a total nightmare, especially in winter.
« Last Edit: 12:18:24, 25/06/18 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 13:52:53, 25/06/18 »
The entire route of the Cmw Glas walk, is on firm solid ground, and even the boggy sections can be avoided, and even the scree below Bwlch Coch, as well if neccessary.
Its a route that few people take, simply because it looks so intimidating, all those huge rocky buttresses below Crib Gochs North ridge.
The southern slopes of the Watkin path up to the summit of Snowdon, are some of the most eroded in the entire National Park, they are even more severe than the path coming of the Glyders towards Bwlch Tryfan.
Until you reach Bwlch Y Saethau, the Watkin path is a gem of a walk, its that final push to the summit that's a total nightmare, especially in winter.

So you'd recommend the Cmw Glas route for a fit family looking for a quieter route to the top?

I never like to take the main routes up peaks but rather like quieter ones, even if it means a much longer walk.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 14:16:42, 25/06/18 »
The Cwm Glas route is very steep in places. If your wife doesn't like steep ground then maybe one of the southern routes would be better. Or you could try the path from Nant Peris up to the halfway stop on the Llamberis route, then follow that path to the summit.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 14:27:45, 25/06/18 »
As a family route, i would hesitate to recommend Cwm Glas, as i am unsure of the capabilities of family members when it comes to mild scrambling on the ascent of Crib Y Ddysgyl.
Navigating in Cwm Glas is very straightforward, as once you enter the inner slopes of the Cwm, there are several very well used and clearly defined paths, that will take you to the upper reaches below the Northern cliffs of Crib Goch.
It sounds very intimidating, and from the car park in the llanberis Path below Pont Y Cromlech, it looks very intimidating.

Once you have left the main road, the paths into the Cwm show themselves clearly, and navigating to the foot of Crib Goch is very straight forward, mostly on steep grass and bouldery rock, but very safe and with no sheer drops, if care is taken, its straight forward and there are several alternative routes, all straight forward to navigate.

Yes there are many challenging scrambling routes inside the Cwm, the Parsons Nose on llechog being one of the best, but keep to the well defined paths, and the Cwm will be a revelation to a first time visitor.

There is a little bit of moderate climbing, but its mostly on grass and its within the capabilities of any fit family group.

The access to the scree leading off Bwlch Coch into Cwm Glas and  to the saddle between Crib Goch and Crib Y Ddysgyl, is straight forward, the route and direction is never in doubt, in clear weather, and obviously if the mist is down, the whole Cwm needs avoiding.

There is only one small technical bit of scrambling, and that is to gain the path on towards Crib Y ddysgyl, as if you were doing the Snowdon Horseshoe, but its very short, and is taken by thousands of walkers annually.

I would recommend you first doing a traverse of Cwm Glas by yourself, before taking a family group, and then you could make the decision for yourself, but Cwm Glas is very safe and straight forward, as long as one does not go adventuring on to dangerous ground.

That dangerous ground is obvious, and it can all be avoided, so Cwm Glas has something for everyone.

Stay within the Cwm, on on the clearly defined paths which are there to be followed,, and i would recommend the route to Snowdon for any keen fit party.

Cwm Glas looks mighty intimidating from the road, take my word for it, its safe and offers a very rewarding alternative up Snowdon.

If you want solitude when the ridges above you are swarming with visitors,  Cwm glas comes highly recommended, but if care is taken, the Cwm is safe and rewarding.
« Last Edit: 14:43:52, 25/06/18 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

dittzzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 22:07:52, 25/06/18 »
Next time we're in the area, we'll be looking for a different route up  Snowdon, and it might be this one.  Your pics show the condition and difficulty of the route very clearly.  Thanks.    O0 O0

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 08:15:07, 26/06/18 »

I never like to take the main routes up peaks but rather like quieter ones, even if it means a much longer walk.

I would recommend the Moel Eilio route that I mentioned earlier, Neil; you're unlikely to see a soul until you get to the Ranger path.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 13:02:39, 27/06/18 »

I would recommend the Moel Eilio route that I mentioned earlier, Neil; you're unlikely to see a soul until you get to the Ranger path.

OK great thanks. I'll check into these routes. I don't need it to be the North face of the Eiger or anything, just fun, picturesque and quietish.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 14:52:47, 27/06/18 »

OK great thanks. I'll check into these routes. I don't need it to be the North face of the Eiger or anything, just fun, picturesque and quietish.

A fair bit of up and down, but nothing rough.

If I recall, the top of Moel Cynghorion is remarkably flat.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 22:42:54, 16/08/18 »
 we've picked the worst few days this week by the look of it so it's gonna rain and possibly be misty too.

So i think I need to reign in any ambitions of challenging walking - don't want them slipping off wet rocks etc

So just after a relatively quiet route now. Best bets?

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 13:49:51, 17/08/18 »
As a word of caution, the Cynhorion & Moel Elio routes, are very exposed to the prevailing winds, and from start to finish, you are at the mercy of the bad weather.
The Moel Elio region including the routes up and down Moel Cynhorion  is totally on grass, so there is little chance of slipping on wet rocks.
The only issue with Moel Elio and Cynhorion, is that you are at the total mercy of the wind and rain.

Ive traversed the region numerous times, and its a gem of a walk in fine weather, a bit up and down, but all on safe ground,  but when the wind is blowing and its raining, its a different matter.

This area of the Snowdon range reminds me very much of the Brecon Beacons, undulating grassland at considerable height, with nowhere to escape the bad weather.

I suppose it could be said for the entire Snowdon region, but its more acute on the Elio ridge, there is simply nowhere to escape from the elements, so anyone attempting it in poor weather should go fully prepared.
« Last Edit: 13:53:37, 17/08/18 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy