Author Topic: Good alternatives to buffs?  (Read 4016 times)

Twiggy2

Good alternatives to buffs?
« on: 18:28:26, 04/04/19 »
Any suggestions that don't cost in the region of £20 for a tiny scrap of material?

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Good alternatives to buffs?
« Reply #1 on: 18:41:04, 04/04/19 »
I bought one a few years ago but have never worn it. It's in my garage somewhere? I can look for it tomorrow and if I find it and if you want it, it's yours for free.

Twiggy2

Re: Good alternaItives to buffs?
« Reply #2 on: 19:03:23, 04/04/19 »
That would be lovely, what a nice offer, thank-you.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:41:22, 04/04/19 »
Without GWM's generous offer, you could have looked on Amazon or eBay. Lots of cheap Chinese ones there, which you'd wait 10-12 days for.
« Last Edit: 21:12:41, 04/04/19 by fernman »

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:27:12, 04/04/19 »
Still take my scalf. When it's really cold. O0
Sometimes I just wrap it around my hands.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:44:03, 04/04/19 »
Fakes from £2.50 on ebay or real from £6.00 both from UK sellers.

zuludog

« Reply #6 on: 23:30:24, 04/04/19 »
Go to a charity shop and have a poke around in their displays & bins of scarves &  accessories; there are all sorts of things. I got an excellent scarf that was obviously a lady's headscarf, in some sort of fine, smooth material, for 50p

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 11:40:33, 05/04/19 »
twiggy - I found the buff in my garage. If you want it it's yours. Just sent me a private 'My messages' of where to post it to.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 11:45:10, 05/04/19 »
I'm sure that I have loads of stuff in my garage that I could give away, for example, I bought a small gas cooker for backpacking about 10 years ago and I have never used it once. I'm betting now that most of us have such stuff hanging around just waiting for a new home?

Twiggy2

« Reply #9 on: 14:42:31, 05/04/19 »
I'm sure that I have loads of stuff in my garage that I could give away, for example, I bought a small gas cooker for backpacking about 10 years ago and I have never used it once. I'm betting now that most of us have such stuff hanging around just waiting for a new home?
I have moved far to many times for old stuff to be kicking about...

Twiggy2

« Reply #10 on: 14:45:53, 05/04/19 »
twiggy - I found the buff in my garage. If you want it it's yours. Just sent me a private 'My messages' of where to post it to.
Message sent, thank-you

Snowman

« Reply #11 on: 12:10:49, 06/04/19 »
I agree that the branded buffs are rather overpriced (although I've not seen them as high as £20), but as has been noted you can get them very cheap from places like Amazon.   I use them instead of a hat, because I kept on losing hats which are quite expensive.    Since I've reached the point in life where my natural head covering is moving off somewhere, it helps to be able to cover said parts when the sun shines as it has recently.   I tend to use it as a headband to stop the sweat getting into my eyes, and then as the sort of pirate hat when I need the aforementioned protection.   At the end of the walk I remove it and wrap it around my wrist so I don't put it down while having a pint and then go leaving it behind (as happened to hats).   In fact wrapped around your wrist can be useful for wiping your brow if it's really hot.

In winter I tend to use it as a scarf, and again, when I get to the pub or similar I just wrap it around my wrist so again, I don't forget it.   If the weather is particularly inclement, it can again be used as a headband, but covering my ears, and also as a cowboy bandit type mask if it's really cold.   

Just one thing, the cheap ones do tend to be tighter than the branded ones, and probably don't use material of the same quality, but if you can wait you often see the branded items reduced in outdoor shops.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 13:10:48, 06/04/19 »

Bought no less than SIX imitations for my son for about £7 from Amazon - do the job just fine. (edit - that's £7 for 6)

And a year ago back I bought an imitation from Millets for £3 - again, no difference in practice to the branded 'Bealach na Ba' buff that I have.
« Last Edit: 17:24:33, 06/04/19 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 13:25:29, 06/04/19 »
And a year ago back I bought an imitation from Millets for £3 - again, no difference in practice to the branded 'Bealach na Ba' buff that I have.

branded 'Bealach na Ba'  buff? I only know Bealach na Ba as the proper name for the Applecross pass road, though I'm sure there are probably other 'passes of the cattle'. 
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

taxino8

« Reply #14 on: 13:38:44, 06/04/19 »
I don’t use one but have a Headover which is very handy.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy