Author Topic: GCSE Collapsible Water Bottle Project  (Read 1439 times)

Yorci

Re: GCSE Collapsible Water Bottle Project
« Reply #15 on: 18:24:27, 12/02/20 »
Q1) Do you use a water bottle when walking/hiking?
I have a 2l bladder with water (for hydration and cooking) and 2 x 500ml water bottles with flavoured drink (for hydration and refreshing my mouth).

Q2) Would you consider using a collapsible water bottle so that when you have finished the drink it can fit in your pocket?
No - the space occupied by my bottles is not required for anything else during the trail, though my bladder collapses as I drink.

Q3) How much water would you like a water bottle to hold for your walks/hikes?

If a choice of only one size, half a litre. Otherwise, a half and one litre

I consume 1-2l on my walks/hikes, which depends on how warm it is and how much effort I'm exerting.

Q4) How big would you like it to be when it is not collapsed?
Most commonly I carry 500ml bottles, so I guess 500ml

Q5) How big would you like it to be when it has been collapsed?

See answer 2

Q6) Would you like the bottle to have a built in straw for ease of use?
No, the bottles I use have a push/pull locking/opening system which I prefer. Though my bladder has a straw with similar bite open/close system. But if it does include a straw needs to be of sufficient diameter to get a bristle brush in to clean it.

Q7) Would you like the bottle to be held in place while it is collapsed? (Strap to keep the two sides together)
A velcro fastener or similar might be helpful to keep it rolled up when not in use.

Q8) would you like the bottle to have a clip/strap to connect to your bag or to hold onto.
No - my bottles sit comforably in the side pouches of my pack, or the back pocket of my gillet.

Q9) What variety of colours would you like the bottle to have?
No preference as long as it is transparent.

Q10) Are there any other accessories you would like added to the bottle? If so please specify
Ensure the filler/feeder cap is leak proof. The neck top wide enough to fill from any water source.
Leave only footprints, take only memories and photographs.
Life is short, time is fast, no re-play or rewind, enjoy every moment and make it count.

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 15:03:55, 16/02/20 »
For my Design and Technology GCSE coursework, I have chose a countryside context in which I must create a product to improve people's experience in the countryside. I decided to chose a water bottle and in order to make this bottle stand out and unique, I decided i will be making it collapsible. This will allow the bottle to become pocket sized after the user has finished drinking. Please could you fill out the questionnaire below, as it would help me greatly,
Luke.

Q1) Do you use a water bottle when walking/hiking?

Yes

Q2) Would you consider using a collapsible water bottle so that when you have finished the drink it can fit in your pocket?

No. I use bladders for that

Q3) How much water would you like a water bottle to hold for your walks/hikes?

I use a 1 litre bottle for water within reach while walking and I carry one or more 2L bladders for carrying additional water (up to 10 litres in the desert)

Q4) How big would you like it to be when it is not collapsed?

Not bigger and not heavier that a folded up bladder. The bladder having the advantage that you can leave it flat, or roll it up, fold it in different ways, depending on your space.

Q5) How big would you like it to be when it has been collapsed?

Not bigger and not heavier that a folded up bladder. The bladder having the advantage that you can leave it flat, or roll it up, fold it in different ways, depending on your space.

Q6) Would you like the bottle to have a built in straw for ease of use?

No

Q7) Would you like the bottle to be held in place while it is collapsed? (Strap to keep the two sides together)

No

Q8) would you like the bottle to have a clip/strap to connect to your bag or to hold onto.

No

Q9) What variety of colours would you like the bottle to have?

Transparent

Q10) Are there any other accessories you would like added to the bottle? If so please specify

No

I don't want to sound negative, but for me a bladder beats a collapsible bottle in (almost) all aspects: the bladder will probably be lighter, more packable etc.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 15:15:57, 16/02/20 »
I use a bladder for longer or warmer trips but a bottle has 3 advantages - it is easier to share the contents, it fits into Mrs N's bum bag (if I can con her into carrying it) and it is less bother to clean than a bladder.  My bottle also has a bug filter to I can refill it.
Solvitur Ambulando

KimE

« Reply #18 on: 15:27:08, 16/02/20 »
I use refilled PET water bottles  0,5-0,6l they have only 20g weight, are stabile enough to stand, its possible to collapse them with a small pressure, they never leaks, can be recycled and cheap.

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 15:32:26, 16/02/20 »
I use a bladder for longer or warmer trips but a bottle has 3 advantages - it is easier to share the contents, it fits into Mrs N's bum bag (if I can con her into carrying it) and it is less bother to clean than a bladder.  My bottle also has a bug filter to I can refill it.

Yes, that is true. I always walk alone so sharing is not a requirement for me. Cleaning...I only carry water in them, but I can see that could be a thing if you use it for other drinks.

As I wrote, I use bladders next to my at hand normal bottle. But that one I don't want collapsible but fixed size. It fits nicely in tghe side pocket of my backpack.

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 15:35:18, 16/02/20 »

I use refilled PET water bottles  0,5-0,6l they have only 20g weight, are stabile enough to stand, its possible to collapse them with a small pressure, they never leaks, can be recycled and cheap.

That's also what I use as my at hand drinking bottle. However, for transporting water I prefer bladders because several cylinder shaped bottles are less efficient to pack than bladders.

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 17:20:34, 16/02/20 »
Good luck with your project however the market is fairly well covered re Collapsable water Bottles:-https://uk.bestreviews.guide/collapsible-water-bottles

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 20:05:53, 16/02/20 »
I'm a fan of the wide mouth version of the Nalgene Cantene flexible bottle, which holds 1 litre and weighs 62g compared to 180g for the solid Nalgene bottle.
My Steripen Prefilter screws onto the neck for when I'm filling it from a stream or pool, after which I can hold the Steripen itself in the neck and stir it gently while it's doing its job.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy