Author Topic: Bag thefts/Pickpockets  (Read 3074 times)

Chris954

Re: Bag thefts/Pickpockets
« Reply #15 on: 18:08:56, 31/10/17 »
I had my pocket picked in Tenerife earlier this year, I was on a night out and was wearing combat style shorts with my wallet in a side pocket covered by a flap with two buttons on it. The guy walked up to us, waved a leaflet for a bar in my face then I felt something touch my leg and he shot off with my wallet in his hand. Fortunately my wallet was found later that night with just my money stolen.I have no idea how he got my wallet out without undoing the buttons,I tried when I got it back and couldn't do it without a struggle.

nesty

« Reply #16 on: 15:13:50, 01/11/17 »
When I was in Rome quite a few years ago, a gypsy youth of about 15 pushed a large card tray in front of my face asking for money whilst trying to open the leather pouch attached to my belt. He was not expecting the swift clip across the ear he got for his troubles.

Exactly, same thing happened to my parents in Rome. 2 small Gypsy immigrant kids. 1 did the distraction and the other got his had in the pocket to relive my dad of his wallet. Copper said it's a real issue in Rome.   

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 18:58:51, 02/11/17 »
Re bag thefts, how about a bag which issues a few thousand volts if touched which can be disabled by a wrist worn fob. This would stop anyone picking up and scarpering with a bag (say) left on a beach. Like an electrified fence/TENS machine, it would not actually injure anyone as current would be low.

I leave the brains to work out the technicalities!

nesty

« Reply #18 on: 19:00:30, 02/11/17 »
Re bag thefts, how about a bag which issues a few thousand volts if touched which can be disabled by a wrist worn fob. This would stop anyone picking up and scarpering with a bag (say) left on a beach. Like an electrified fence/TENS machine, it would not actually injure anyone as current would be low.

I leave the brains to work out the technicalities!

Sounds good. Though only be a matter of time before you are in the EU court of human rights!

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 20:41:46, 02/11/17 »
Years ago when in Lima, Peru I once saw a gang of lads surround an American backpacker and start jostling him. Then one of them slit the bottom out of his pack with a Stanley knife, all his things fell on the floor, then there was a free for all as the gang grabbed as much as they could before legging it.
Another scam was for someone to go up to a queue by a bus, they'd climb up onto the roof (South American buses nearly always had roof-racks) and start shouting for people to pass up their rucksacks. Unbeknownst to the people queuing they'd have a pick-up parked the other side of the bus. people would pass up their sack and the guy on top would pretend to put them in the rack but would actually pass them to his mate in the truck. As soon as they were rumbled the guy up top would jump into the truck and they'd be off. Interesting place Peru, I think it's a bit safer these days.     

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 17:45:26, 03/11/17 »
Peru is a country of contrasts with abject poverty and seemingly ok areas. In Cusco, there were police/security everywhere and we had no problems. However, we were advised to be back in our hotels by 9:30pm - because that was when the police/security knocked off!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy