Author Topic: Mini Dartmoor overnighter  (Read 1362 times)

Dartmoordad

Mini Dartmoor overnighter
« on: 19:08:28, 27/11/11 »
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to share with you my little effort this weekend.

I took my eldest lad (13) up onto Dartmoor friday night for a overnighter, I wanted to try out some new kit ready for a mini Brecon trip in a couple of weeks.

We made our way up onto Dartmoor and parked at Great Hound Tor car park at about 8:00 pm, where whilst we was getting ready we were greeted by some local lads who turned up in a rather interesting chav mobile and promptly pulled a handbreak turn in the car park and sped away (was a tad worried about leaving my car after that effort).
Anyway back to the trip, we walked down to Jay's grave and down to Natsworthy, we then crossed the road and walked up to our usual camp spot near Berry pound.

In the morning after we was woken by the dawn chorus sang by Cows!  ;D  we had our normal porridge breakfast, packed away and checked we left nothing behind, we then hiked up to Hamel Down to the Two Moors way and followed the path down towards Widecombe in the moor which is a lovely place and I recommend it to anyone.
From Widecombe we went up to Top Tor then down to Saddle Tor and on to Holwell Tor where we carried on down to Becka Brook and up to Great Hound Tor passing the old medival settlement along the way, luckily enough my car was still at the car park and in one piece which is always an added bonus  O0  (not that anything worthwhile is ever left in the car)....

Whilst it was only about 10 miles and not our usual 20 miles + it was a very enjoyable, informative and pleasant little walk, it was a good chance to make some changes to my kit and check out the performance of the new stuff.
My new Lowa Mountain gtx boots performed well and for the first time in ages I came away with dry feet! ;D

I did take some pics and should learn how to upload them so I can share, I hope you all enjoy my report and I wish all a good week.

James

Adapt & improvise to overcome!

bear.cub

• Veteran Member
Re: Mini Dartmoor overnighter
« Reply #1 on: 20:30:51, 27/11/11 »
Cheers for sharing, I'm looking forward to the piccies. O0
I've never known such a bear for getting in a mess. Mr Brown referencing Paddington Bear

Trenchfoot

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:03:35, 27/11/11 »
Nice one, look forward to the pictures  O0
roll on the weekend

andyj

« Reply #3 on: 21:46:44, 27/11/11 »
I know the area quite well, although I've never actually done much walking around there. Were there fresh flowers on Jays Grave ?!? ;)

Have you read the book "Dartmoor 365"? I can highly recommend it. The author has split Dartmoor down to 365 individual square miles, and has found something of interest in each and every one of them (well, apart from 1 sq. mile in the middle of the north-moor where there is literally nothing of interest!).

Dartmoordad

« Reply #4 on: 22:01:35, 27/11/11 »
Hey Andy,

Yupp fresh flowers there was  O0

Never read the book though, I will look into it.

Thanks

James
Adapt & improvise to overcome!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy