Author Topic: Ridgeway  (Read 16404 times)

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
Re: Ridgeway
« Reply #15 on: 17:25:29, 21/03/07 »
Marvellous commentary, Titaniumdude.

I know this is an ancient thread, but am a newcomer and have just read it.  Excellent stuff.  :)

Snowman

« Reply #16 on: 12:11:21, 22/03/07 »
Yes, as it was a bit old I hadn't responded before.

However I would be interested in general impressions of the Ridgway.   I have done some bits of it, but got totally put off when I did the section that's crossed by the M40 in winter and was appalled at the condition it was in due to people using 4x4s.    It's a pity the Chancellor didn't put up road tax to £2,000 pounds or similar on these despicable vehicles (except for proper farming etc. use).

Perhaps the M40 bit is an exception so I'd be interested in what people think of the path.

S.

Brian

« Reply #17 on: 18:19:20, 25/04/07 »
Hi Snowman

Not sure if you are aware but the vast majority of the Ridgeway is now banned to motor vehicles ie 70 miles of it so in time the path should improve

See link
http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/Ridgeway/article.asp?PageId=3&ArticleId=33 [nofollow]

Brian

Brian

« Reply #18 on: 10:50:49, 29/04/07 »
Found this link on the BBC Oxford site with a reporter doing 4 short  articles (approx 4 mins each) about the Ridgeway

http://www.bbc.co.uk/oxford/content/articles/2007/04/25/ridgeway.shtml [nofollow]

Brian

Snowman

« Reply #19 on: 10:59:11, 30/04/07 »
Hi Brian,

I most certainly am aware that motor vehicles are banned.    However on one occasion I was watching someone heaving his 4x4 all across the track, while standing in front of a sign that said 'No motor vehicles'.

The problem isn't that vehicles are not banned, it's that our 4x4 brigade totally ignore what they don't want to see.

S.

Brian

« Reply #20 on: 11:39:35, 30/04/07 »
Hi Snowman,

Yes, know what you mean. When the UK banned the Off Road motorbikes from the paths and trails it had an immediate knock on over here in that a greater number of them now come to the Isle of Man on cheap weekend trips and now most of the greenlanes are completely ruined. I walked on one of the routes a couple of weeks ago and twisted my ankle due to the damage caused. I am not against other groups enjoying the countryside as it is there for all of us to enjoy, but its just a minority who do not give a **** who are ruining it for the sensible majority. Unfortunately I do not think there is anyone in the government over here who is prepared to do anything about it.

In case anyone thinks I am against motorcycles I have been a motorcyclist for 40 years both professionally and socially

Brian

Snowman

« Reply #21 on: 10:58:08, 01/05/07 »
Hi Brian,

I agree totally, no-one is prepared to act against the idiots who are happy to ruin the countryside for the majority so that they can have a bit of fun.

For me it's the Ridgeway that's a major problem in my area.   The bit I was previously referring to is where the A40 crosses it, so all they have to do is swan down the A40, ignore the 'No Motor Vehicles' sign, and have great fun carving up the track.    Problem is that when it's wet no-one can use it, and when it's dry, it's so rutted it's a dangerous ankle twister.

What also bothers me is that the Ridgeway is a National Trail, and 'advertised' in such publications as Lonely Planet's 'Walking in Britain'.    What must our overseas visitors think when they find our National Trails allowed to be devastated like this?    Incidentally, it will come as no suprise to learn that the section of the Ridgeway that crosses Chequers is very pleasant, so our Tone is probably blissfully unaware of what these people do.

Like you, I'm not intrinsically against people using these vehicles, and have a couple of very close friends who own them and use them on tracks built for the purpose.    They go off every Sunday, and come back covered in mud and [censored] having had a great time.    One Sunday they came back complete with broken axle, which I suspect is why the idiot brigade prefer to use the tracks intended for walkers, rather than damage their little monsters.

S.

thisismusic

« Reply #22 on: 10:08:57, 26/02/08 »
Just found this after posting some questions about walking all of the ridgeway, which I plan to do at the end of May - very useful, thank you!
“It seems to me that the natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty" - David Attenborough

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy