Author Topic: First time ever!!!  (Read 3968 times)

Skip

• Veteran Member
Re: First time ever!!!
« Reply #15 on: 00:21:34, 19/11/18 »
They are beautiful little birds but very fast-moving and quite shy. So it's great you grabbed those photos - well done!
Skip

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 18:44:03, 19/11/18 »
Aww, thanks for the lovely comments everyone :)

I was in Wolfscote Dale when I took the photos and have seen Kingfishers there a few times. They are often further down the river though, nearer to Mill Dale.
I've also seen them in Monsal Dale and Bradford Dale.

Another good spot for them is on the river Derwent at Cromford.  I usually park in the car park at Cromford Meadows, then walk along the river bank at the edge of the field. There's a big tree growing out of the river bank and Kingfishers nest underneath it every year. Conveniently, the tree is quite close to a fisherman's seat.
I never managed to get a photo of one down there but watched them fly back and forth to the nest a few times!
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 23:45:02, 19/11/18 »
Fabulous photos and good memories for you too.

I have seen them flying at a spot just north of Burnsall on the River Wharfe: And would have missed them altogether if it hadn't been for a bird watcher who'd been watching them for a while and kindly lent us her binoculars. What a treat they were.
About 1/2 mile beyond Burnsall, heading upstream there is a large undercut cliff on the east bank -  keep your eyes peeled otherwise you'll miss them.
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 07:47:07, 20/11/18 »
Fabulous photos and good memories for you too.

Thanks I.M :)   Yes, it's always a special moment for me when I see a Kingfisher 8)

Ralph

« Reply #19 on: 08:52:04, 20/11/18 »
Sunnydale
I also watch a nesting Kingfisher at Cromford, I park at Arkwrights Mill and walk down river for around 50 yards & it nests in the opposite bank. We maybe watching the same birds.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 09:11:03, 21/11/18 »
Sunnydale
I also watch a nesting Kingfisher at Cromford, I park at Arkwrights Mill and walk down river for around 50 yards & it nests in the opposite bank. We maybe watching the same birds.

Possibly Ralph!  Are you a bit of a 'birder'?  If so, you may have seen the Hawfinches in the trees around St Mary's Church.

Ralph

« Reply #21 on: 09:29:43, 21/11/18 »

Possibly Ralph!  Are you a bit of a 'birder'?  If so, you may have seen the Hawfinches in the trees around St Mary's Church.
Saw them there a long time ago, Rufford Abbey is now the best place for Hawfinch, usually around the car park.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy