Author Topic: Visual Impact of Large Groups  (Read 3175 times)

myxpyr

Visual Impact of Large Groups
« on: 15:31:44, 21/10/19 »
I know I've talked before on here about solo walking but I'm just wondering what others think about the visual(or any other) impact of large groups of walkers on the countryside.On Sunday I was out on the hills when, in the distance, I saw a group of 15 to 20 walkers. They all appeared to be equally spaced out along the path and I would not have been surprised to have found they were all in step ;) Just wondering what others think of such practices. Don't get me wrong; I'm all for people getting out and enjoying the countryside...

pleb

• Veteran Member
Re: Visual Impact of Large Groups
« Reply #1 on: 16:13:57, 21/10/19 »
They should all stop in if its my day to be out n about  ;D
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

myxpyr

« Reply #2 on: 16:17:53, 21/10/19 »
They should all stop in if its my day to be out n about  ;D
Quite right O0

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:04:31, 21/10/19 »
Doesn't bother me in the least - so long as they're going in the opposite direction to me  :) .
Being a solo walker like the OP, I hate getting 'tangled up' with groups walking the same way as me.

I also dislike walking at weekends when there are lots of families out with dogs and little herberts on bikes shouting their heads off in the woods, along with all the beached whales who can only manage a few hundred yards before turning back, and not forgetting the number of numpties who aren't equipped to find their way from A to B or dressed for the conditions  >:( .

myxpyr

« Reply #4 on: 17:19:26, 21/10/19 »
Doesn't bother me in the least - so long as they're going in the opposite direction to me  :) .
Being a solo walker like the OP, I hate getting 'tangled up' with groups walking the same way as me.

I also dislike walking at weekends when there are lots of families out with dogs and little herberts on bikes shouting their heads off in the woods, along with all the beached whales who can only manage a few hundred yards before turning back, and not forgetting the number of numpties who aren't equipped to find their way from A to B or dressed for the conditions  >:( .
Wel said

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:23:25, 21/10/19 »
Doesn't bother me in the least either, particularly if they're in the distance.  I just choose another bit of scenery to look at or sit and have a snack/rest until they're gone.

I know I won't catch them up, that's for sure  ;D

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:52:16, 21/10/19 »
Used to annoy me, but everyone is able to use the outdoors equally or we can't use it at all.  Personally I bomb past them rapidly or use the chance to take a break.  Must admit I'm not one of those who likes to tag on the back of the group and 'join them', I've had it happen with random people joining me and they won't p*ss off no matter how nice you're being.  Comes off as a bit creepy.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:52:25, 21/10/19 »
As a lover of solitude when I'm out walking, I usually feel a little bit dismayed if a walking group comes along. But, hey, I can't have the countryside to myself! 

Sonatine

« Reply #8 on: 20:48:34, 21/10/19 »
I encountered the saunders mountain marathon coming at me when I was on the Cumbria Way (stake pass). I think I gave up saying hello after the first 50 or so!

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 20:53:37, 21/10/19 »
But, hey, I can't have the countryside to myself!

We very often can, it's a matter of experience and choice of routes  :)
Is it me or do groups of walkers usually look at you in a funny way?.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 21:04:34, 21/10/19 »
We very often can, it's a matter of experience and choice of routes  :)
Well yes, that's true   :)

Pitboot

« Reply #11 on: 05:46:42, 22/10/19 »
I seem to attract them. We (Mrs P and I ) will stop for a breather or something to eat and suddenly we are joined by a load of people who collectively decide to stop in the same place. We call it Bob's Law.

We try to avoid obvious view points and now move away from the track if the terrain permits.

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 06:28:46, 22/10/19 »
I am sometimes part of that large group. Sometimes i am leading that large group. If people feel they need company to be out in the countryside that’s fine with me.
It's all uphill from here.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 10:38:15, 22/10/19 »
, I've had it happen with random people joining me and they won't p*ss off no matter how nice you're being.  Comes off as a bit creepy.
Just start a conversation on Brexit.Its guarranteed to get rid of them within ten seconds. ;)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 11:58:54, 22/10/19 »
Can't say as it is an issue for me.  I like to play "Spot the Rambler" as I go by.  (Rules available on application)
If they are in the distance they are scenery.  If they are coming towards me I greet them with a cheery "Good Morning or Good Afternoon" (I switch at precisely 12:00 just to annoy folk).  I doff my Tilley to any ladies in the group as well.
If I am overtaking, I speed up a bit to get past quickly, again with the cheery greeting ritual so they know I am behind them and not part of the group catching up. Once they are behind me I can't see them anyway.  Occasionally, I will take my time to eavesdrop, there are sometimes some weird conversations going on.
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy