Author Topic: Waterproof overtrousers or waterproof trousers?  (Read 9946 times)

Gadabout Bounder

Re: Waterproof overtrousers or waterproof trousers?
« Reply #45 on: 21:43:22, 28/04/19 »
Gunwharfman

Before we set off for yesterdays walk I saw a man similar looking to yourself, going into the Buck Inn @ Malham.

What drew my attention was the long overcoat that the individual was wearing and I know you wear one.

We are staying in the village till tomorrow morning and I just happened to be looking across to the pub.

Was that you??

'We've spilt the same blood in the same mud'

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: 09:13:28, 29/04/19 »
No, sorry but it wasn't me. I haven't been to Malham since the last Forum meet.

Now that I am happy as to where I've got to in keeping dry for the least possible cost and finding out the best way to do it I would now like to find a more 'professional' long coat. My £15 Champion coat is good enough, (it weighs about one pound) but I'm sure that if it was designed again and made of more lightweight and 'professional' waterproof materials it would be even better. I don't think one exists at the moment but I'll keep looking.

Or alternatively, I can still use my Precip with my rain skirt.

I now have four choices on how to keep dry, wear waterproof trousers, wear a poncho, wear my long coat or wear my Precip and rain skirt. They all work but some work better than others.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: 09:27:47, 29/04/19 »

You may find losing weight, and more particularly inches, is an accidental side effect of doing more walking.
+1 for paramo trousers though.  Like many people I don't like the feel of overtrousers, they always seem a bit cumbersome and restrictive, which meant it was always a bit late when I gave in and put them on.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #48 on: 10:52:29, 29/04/19 »
You may find losing weight, and more particularly inches, is an accidental side effect of doing more walking.
+1 for paramo trousers though.  Like many people I don't like the feel of overtrousers, they always seem a bit cumbersome and restrictive, which meant it was always a bit late when I gave in and put them on.

Indeed it's possible, according to this calculator my recent walk burned off over 5000 calories, but according to a recent check I eat around 3500 calories a day. If I knocked 1000 calories a day off and continued walking in theory I'd lose over 3lbs a week.

I've wondered what Paramo trousers are like, apart from (much like Gore-Tex) not making them in my size, I'd heard they're rather warm. Not good with all the heat I generate!

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: 11:13:51, 29/04/19 »

I've wondered what Paramo trousers are like, apart from (much like Gore-Tex) not making them in my size, I'd heard they're rather warm. Not good with all the heat I generate!

Personally, I don't get on with Paramo kit for this very reason - I walk hot, and find Paramo make me hotter.  It's a shame as so many people rave about it, and I think it looks and feels good - I just end up a bit messy and whiffy!!

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #50 on: 12:21:41, 29/04/19 »
I use the lightest weight Paramo. The big thing in terms of temperature control is that they vent really well. The Velez Adventure Light Smock, for instance, has a zip from neck to bottom of chest, one either side from armpit to hip, and the sleeves easily pull up above the elbow. The trousers unzip up most of the leg. If it's still too warm for me to cope like that, then I probably wouldn't feel the need for a waterproof (or I'd be using my 2.5 layer running shirt).

With Paramo, you have to have a different mindset to Goretex. Buffalo is similar but aimed at colder weather.
It isn't bombproof. Heavy rain in a strong wind will eventually get through to your skin. But then your body heat pumps it back out again. And you stay warm even when wet.
It isn't part of a traditional layering system. Ideally you'd wear it against your skin, or with a Paramo baselayer, and not take it off all day. Extra warmth is added by overlayering.

It's the pump that gives it an edge of Goretex. With a hardshell, any moisture inside stays inside (breathability doesn't make a difference when liquid water coats the inside). That moisture could be sweat, rain that got in up cuffs or down collar, river that came up your legs during a crossing, failed membrane on GTX. It also means that it can take a lot of abuse. Mine has stitched up repairs and sewn-on bedges that make no difference to its effectiveness because it doesn't rely on an unpunctured membrane.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #51 on: 12:29:58, 29/04/19 »
I have Paramo jacket and trousers.  The jacket is a disaster - condensation literally drips out of the cuffs even though it has been maintained in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions.  The trousers on the other hand are excellent, keeping me warm and dry and they are my go to clothing in winter.  Unless it is really cold, I wear them without trousers underneath - not sure if that's right, but it works for me.  I like being able to undo the side zips without dying of indecent exposure when they get too warm.
Solvitur Ambulando

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #52 on: 16:01:24, 01/05/19 »
I’ve had two of the Paramo lightweight Velez smocks, one of which I’m still using. Not had any issues whatsoever with either of them, slightly warm if anything at all but then I run hot.
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

Warbler

« Reply #53 on: 16:31:14, 01/05/19 »
I too have had a Paramo Velez smock for a few years now and had no problem with it at all. Big fan. If not wearing it, it's invariably in my sack.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #54 on: 17:14:50, 01/05/19 »
I found a company who say they can make Nikwax Analogy clothes in my size!

http://www.cioch-direct.co.uk/waterproofs/gents_trousers.html

and

http://www.cioch-direct.co.uk/waterproofs/lota.html

Bit pricey but I expect you get what you pay for. All the votes for Paramo are tempting me but it's a lot of money if I find it's too hot.

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #55 on: 18:01:11, 01/05/19 »
A good Goretex jacket will set you back a good few hundred pounds too, before custom sizing.
The jump to Paramo is a big one. Very much a marmite brand.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #56 on: 18:03:30, 01/05/19 »
Rob, hilltrek.co.uk also will make custom sizes in a range of different sizes, for a price. I think their biggest standard size is 44 waist. They used to stock Paramo and do repair this. They use a number of different materials, including Cotton Analogy, which is similar to what Paramo use. Hill trek is based in Aboyne in Aberdeenshire.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #57 on: 18:15:58, 01/05/19 »
Wait until the colder weather before you take the leap and try out the ones you already have first - save your pennies for now.
Solvitur Ambulando

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #58 on: 18:17:20, 01/05/19 »
Rob, hilltrek.co.uk also will make custom sizes in a range of different sizes, for a price.

Good to know, thanks. I found them on a Google but saw their sizes went up to XXL and left. Didn't know they did custom sizes if you asked.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #59 on: 18:20:06, 01/05/19 »
Wait until the colder weather before you take the leap and try out the ones you already have first - save your pennies for now.

Yeah I need to pay for my car MOT this month. My waterproof jacket is OK on the flat but I suspect I'll get covered in sweat going uphill. I'll give it a chance but I bought it thinking it was the best I could do, possibly I could have done better.

It's good research for the future.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy