Author Topic: Is Brexit affecting your 2019 hiking plans?  (Read 7319 times)

NeilC

• Veteran Member
Re: Is Brexit affecting your 2019 hiking plans?
« Reply #30 on: 21:44:43, 28/11/18 »
I don't get it. Nobody is talking about not being able to travel so how would it affect it?

I just went to Turkey who aren't in the EU. They seemed quite happy to have us there.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 21:53:20, 28/11/18 »
I don't get it. Nobody is talking about not being able to travel so how would it affect it?

I just went to Turkey who aren't in the EU. They seemed quite happy to have us there.
The issue is to do with the Certification of Airlines, Pilots Licences and Operators Licences.  Currently these are a pan-European but if the UK leaves it will need to revert to a national system and get it recognised by the EU.  Positive noises have been made by all concerned but nobody knows for sure yet.  The transition period is supposed to sort all this out but if we crash out without an agreement, some fast thinking may be required by the air bureaucrats.
Turkey is not in the EU but they recognise our Operators' Licenses etc which are currently EU based. If you want to bore yourself to death see this link for some air based speculation https://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/607757-ec-notice-brexit-issued-licenses-certificates-invalid.html

Now multiply this by all the EU wide regulations and certifications that  we use every day for road haulage, pharmaceutical manufacture, food production, insurance, banking, agriculture etc etc etc etc and you begin to appreciate what a horlicks this is if we crash out without a transition.
« Last Edit: 22:06:56, 28/11/18 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 22:11:15, 28/11/18 »
I wasn't trying to make a political issue out of it, honest! I'm just intersted in whether the issue might affect the freedom that we have to travel without hindrance. I personally like travelling so freely and the idea that so many narrow minded people really appalls me. I whizzed over to France twice this year, it was so easy just like catching a bus! The thought that this simplicity might end based on some view that European peope are somehow 'different species' makes me unhappy.

jonathand

« Reply #33 on: 23:27:29, 28/11/18 »
In general., I'm sure it will not really affect travel to Europe. There may be a visa system coming at some point, like when travelling to the US, but it won't be expensive. Queues will likely be longer, but it's not the end of the world, and getting into Schengen can involve a bit of a queue already. However, should we leave without a deal, then there probably will be short term disruption. I think I read that the channel tunnel has a contingency plan that might involving closing temporarily. I think different airlines have different policies about refunds if flights are disrupted. I suspect that behind the scenes plans are in place to keep things moving, although I guess emergency legislation will be needed. The polls before the referendum were close, and most companies planned for leave to win (eg by hedging against a drop in the pound), and I'm sure the same is happening. The pound is predicted to drop in a no deal, but that's not actually disruptive, it just makes holidays a bit more expensive... even to New Zealand! I'd be amazed if there is a no deal Brexit though.

I've tried to keep that non-political, but I think all Brexit conversations should be banned from here!

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 07:32:26, 29/11/18 »
The issue is to do with the Certification of Airlines, Pilots Licences and Operators Licences.  Currently these are a pan-European but if the UK leaves it will need to revert to a national system and get it recognised by the EU.  Positive noises have been made by all concerned but nobody knows for sure yet.  The transition period is supposed to sort all this out but if we crash out without an agreement, some fast thinking may be required by the air bureaucrats.
Turkey is not in the EU but they recognise our Operators' Licenses etc which are currently EU based. If you want to bore yourself to death see this link for some air based speculation https://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/607757-ec-notice-brexit-issued-licenses-certificates-invalid.html

Now multiply this by all the EU wide regulations and certifications that  we use every day for road haulage, pharmaceutical manufacture, food production, insurance, banking, agriculture etc etc etc etc and you begin to appreciate what a horlicks this is if we crash out without a transition.

That makes sense.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 07:53:46, 29/11/18 »
...And I thought we were doing SO well at keeping Brexit off the forum... :(

O0
+3

I know that the opening post was non political, but it was sadly inevitable that the thread would become so.

I have strong opinions about the merits or otherwise of Brexit, but I will not share them here on a WALKING FORUM.

Perhaps Admin could move this thread into a non walking section, perhaps alongside the RANTS thread.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 07:56:34, 29/11/18 »
so many narrow minded people.......some view that European people are somehow 'different species'

And THAT is why Brexit topics just shouldn't get started here. Apparently it can't be discussed without branding 50% of the UK as terrible people.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 07:57:34, 29/11/18 »
I wasn't trying to make a political issue out of it, honest! I'm just intersted in whether the issue might affect the freedom that we have to travel without hindrance. I personally like travelling so freely and the idea that so many narrow minded people really appalls me. I whizzed over to France twice this year, it was so easy just like catching a bus! The thought that this simplicity might end based on some view that European peope are somehow 'different species' makes me unhappy.

If we get a sensible deal then I don't see any problems. If by some misfortune we crash out with No Deal, then there may well be some short term problems regarding travel. But not for long. I'm not planning to go abroad next year so as far as travel is concerned, I will be unaffected. Could be a different matter for my daughter, who does travel to EU countries a lot.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 08:00:49, 29/11/18 »

And THAT is why Brexit topics just shouldn't get started here. Apparently it can't be discussed without branding 50% of the UK as terrible people.

Sad but true - seen all sorts of insults on newspaper forums - Quislings, Xenophobes, Traitors, Brexitards ….. I could go on. And the personal insults towards Theresa May disgust me. Never in living memory has a subject divided the nation more.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 08:02:41, 29/11/18 »

Anyway, I'm not going to post on this thread anymore - I feel that Brexit just drags me down.

Admin - please could you move it elsewhere.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 08:08:42, 29/11/18 »
I’m sorry I got dragged in  :-[ . I agree that we should not pollute a walking forum with politics.

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 08:23:21, 29/11/18 »

As an English whose father is in a hole in ground in Northern France....mother remarried after WW2 and I have lived, gone to school, and worked in Scotland all of my days....married to a French citizen so the larger part of my family are French folks.
We were always supporters of the EU however things went a big way astray when much more was added to control in Brussels.
In GB we did not do enough to fight against the swelling controls and the several unelected folks in bodies doing much of control.  I don't think that the English, by sending a majority of totally against the European idea MPs to the  parliament, was very constructive. Changes to the EU had to be made.  Now we have the situation where the English Westminster MPs have the unenviable task of having to get constituents to consider a Brexit Light with the 'full' Brexit that they voted for.  Many of these folks are in constituencies where the greatest affects of the EU rules created most problems for their lives.

Praise to the Civil Servants.   Plan B maybe?

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 08:26:20, 29/11/18 »
As an English whose father is in a hole in ground in Northern France....mother remarried after WW2 and I have lived, gone to school, and worked in Scotland all of my days....married to a French citizen so the larger part of my family are French folks.
We were always supporters of the EU however things went a big way astray when much more was added to control in Brussels.
In GB we did not do enough to fight against the swelling controls and the several unelected folks in bodies doing much of control.  I don't think that the English, by sending a majority of totally against the European idea MPs to the  parliament, was very constructive. Changes to the EU had to be made.  Now we have the situation where the English Westminster MPs have the unenviable task of having to get constituents to consider a Brexit Light with the 'full' Brexit that they voted for.  Many of these folks are in constituencies where the greatest affects of the EU rules created most problems for their lives.

Praise to the Civil Servants.   Plan B maybe?

Perhaps could you start a thread in the Hikers Bar if you want to sound off about Brexit?

Please.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 14:25:42, 29/11/18 »

O0
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 14:53:22, 29/11/18 »

Apparently it can't be discussed without branding 50% of the UK as terrible people.
From both sides of the argument, simultaneously, that means 100% of the UK are terrible people ;D :2funny: :2funny:
Too little, too late, too bad......

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy