Author Topic: European OSM maps  (Read 1433 times)

wobblyknees

European OSM maps
« on: 22:40:07, 11/05/18 »
Apologies if this has dealt with here before. I'm sure it has but can't find it. Also, I've downloaded European maps from OSM before, but so long ago that I forget how I did it.

Im looking for a map for the Garmish-Partenkichen area of southern Bavaria. I don't want the entire Germany map as it's huge.I downloaded a tile of the Garmish-Partenkichen area from here  

http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

and sucessfully installed it on my Garmin unit.

How do I install the same tile in Basecamp?

The Garmin map is a disk image file (.img) which I presume is not suitable for Basecamp. I presume I need a file with .gpx suffix.
The website above is unclear about this.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: European OSM maps
« Reply #1 on: 08:14:35, 12/05/18 »
With the .img map you should have a number of other files, one of them is the installer.exe file that will install the map to your PC for BaseCamp to use.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Garmin.OpenStreetMap.nl#Frequently_Asked_Questions
Where there's a will ...

wobblyknees

« Reply #2 on: 11:57:52, 14/05/18 »
Thanks Sussamb for the quick response. I cannot find an installer.exe with the .img download.
I did download the same tile from here
http://sn21.pleiades.uni-wuppertal.de/garmin/generic/07-05-2018/ba903bd2a27d8bd8951add87d4945ce0/

I got the following file: GARMISHosm_generic_windows which is an application file (.exe)saved on my hard drive.

When I try to run it I get the following message "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." I am logged in to my own computer as an administrator.

Any advice please?

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:39:23, 14/05/18 »
Did you read the About section in the wiki?  This is the note you get when you order the map

You will receive two emails:
•One email containing a link to a webpage where you can track the status of your request which will be sent immediately.
•One email containing the download location for the Windows BaseCamp/MapSource installer, Mac OSX BaseCamp/RoadTrip installer, Linux package and gmapsupp.img when the server has processed your request.

Did you not get that?

The second email reads:

Hi,

Your request for a Garmin map on garmin.openstreetmap.nl is ready.

The server has generated four different configurations of your map:
* _windows.exe = Installer for Garmin BaseCamp/MapSource (Windows).
* _macosx.zip = Installer for Garmin BaseCamp/RoadTrip (Mac OSX)
* _gmapsupp.zip = Combined image for direct manual placement on the GPS device (gmapsupp.img)
* _tiles.zip = A zip file containing the tiles in the request, especially useful for Linux users (e.g. QLandkarte)

Please browse to the website listed below and download the map configuration(s) you're interested in. Your request will be available on the server for 120 hours before it's deleted.

You need to download the first one to install the map to your Pc for BaseCamp to use.
« Last Edit: 15:09:44, 14/05/18 by sussamb »
Where there's a will ...

wobblyknees

« Reply #4 on: 17:47:22, 14/05/18 »
Yes. Read the About section. Got the two Emails. Followed the link and downloaded the top listed file. I did it all again and get the same message. I wonder could my Norton security software have anything to do with it

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:18:30, 14/05/18 »
Possibly. I don't use Norton so can't be sure. Try turning it off and see  O0
Where there's a will ...

wobblyknees

« Reply #6 on: 23:54:17, 14/05/18 »
Job done. Norton had quarantined the file. Don't know I didn't spot it or how it did it without alerting me. I restored it.

Thanks for all your help Sussamb.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 06:46:11, 15/05/18 »
 O0
Where there's a will ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy