Author Topic: Quick walk up Sugar Loaf in the snow  (Read 2187 times)

clyoung

• Veteran Member
Quick walk up Sugar Loaf in the snow
« on: 18:10:27, 30/12/17 »

Having only found out at lunchtime on Thursday that other plans weren't happening, I only had time for a quick dash over to Abergavenny and a solo walk up Sugar Loaf from the Porth-y-Parc car park to take some sunset pics.
The sunset didn't really materialise but it was a great walk. Rather than going up the obvious direct route, I went a few metres back down the road, took a footpath across the fields and headed up the Rholben ridge. Beautiful sunshine on the way up, a faint pink glow to the sky while on the summit then a moonlit trek back to the car via the more direct route. Only once did I need my head torch, when I sensed something was in the way and discovered the something was a fallen tree blocking the path. Luckily I managed to squeeze past.

The snow on the paths was packed hard and just before the summit I donned my microspikes. They were a great help but I still slipped on to my left hand side on the way down. There were lots of people on the top when I arrived, but I think I was the last to leave and I had no company on the way down.

My old phone, which was supposed to be tracking the walk, gave up at the summit, but I've plotted the route here.

Some more pictures from the walk:

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
Re: Quick walk up Sugar Loaf in the snow
« Reply #1 on: 18:54:01, 30/12/17 »
Lovely snowy photos O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:34:34, 30/12/17 »
Great photos and always a nice walk. Never tried it in the snow though, am very envious  :)
Where there's a will ...

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:10:39, 31/12/17 »
Snow and moonlight, a wonderful combination for walking. Jealous :)
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:39:26, 31/12/17 »
Lovely pictures - sounds like a great walk.  O0

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:23:00, 31/12/17 »
Thanks everyone - it really was a great walk.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:00:57, 31/12/17 »
I had a great walk up the Cats Back, in very heavy snow, back in 1985, its strange how one remembers memorable walks.
We used to have regular winters back in those days, and i remember with fond memories the 1985 Lombard RAC Rally, tucking into a hot dog, and cup of soup in the Rhigos forest at 1am in the morning, above Hirwaun.

Yep, memorable days, when winters were winters.
« Last Edit: 20:06:19, 31/12/17 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:31:45, 31/12/17 »
The winter of 1947 was a real winter in Wales. We had an outside toilet that was under an 8 foot snowdrift, the coal house was at the end of the garden also under a big drift and the snow blew under the eaves into the attic. I can remember my father filling a tin bath with snow in the attic, passing it down to my mother to empty out of the bedroom window. Memorable days but not very happy ones  :(

Regards Keith

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:52:45, 31/12/17 »
Your giving your age away, and yes i can remember one of my previous homes in South Wales.
It was a very large Victorian vicarage just outside Cardiff, approaching Ely.
The church had closed long ago, so the vicarage was up for grabs.

Being such a large house, it was bitterly cold, and i can remember some of the winters of the early 1980s, where my breath remained in the air in the upper bedrooms  far too long for comfort.

You feet would get very cold extremely quickly if you decided to have a read, and due to the height of the ceilings and size of some of the rooms, the heating took an age to respond.

I can occasionally remember it iceing up on the inside of the bedroom windows  once or twice, that thankfully is a memory of the past, a rather fun one, when your still young, but its true, living in such a cold home, one rarely got a cold or became ill.

Summers were fine, but those winters, oh yes, it was pretty cold, but you got sort of acclimatised to it eventually.

How many here had to sleep inside a sleeping bag, with another double duvet just to keep warm.

Dyffryn is like living in the tropics compared to my old home near Cardiff.

We sold it back in 1993, and moved to Cyncoed, and i think someone either developed it into several flats, or demolished it, ive never been back to check.
« Last Edit: 20:07:05, 31/12/17 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy