Author Topic: Ditching the Car  (Read 3909 times)

Jac

• Veteran Member
Re: Ditching the Car
« Reply #30 on: 13:35:17, 25/05/18 »
Bus passes - just one example of our Dis-united Kingdom.
Eligibility by age varies between England, Wales and Scotland and you can only use them in the country they are issued in :(
« Last Edit: 08:12:29, 26/05/18 by Jac »
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 15:12:26, 25/05/18 »
I regularly do long distance walks via public transport. When doing linear walks of a couple of hundred miles there is little option. Every year for some time I have done a 2 week Scottish walk using public transport at the start and finish, same for my trips in Wales and many other parts of the UK. I like it, it gives me plenty of options and I don't have to bother about getting back to the car.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 15:27:06, 25/05/18 »
A car is a secure (fingers crossed) storage place for lots of other things while you're doing your walk.
When I return from my multiple-day walks - which are usually circular, but there's no reason why I don't catch a bus or train somewhere and walk back - I have clean clothing, big tent and full camping equipment waiting for me, hidden out of sight under a cover, so I can drive to a decent campsite and live in luxury compared to continuing to sleep in a dog kennel-sized backpacking tent.
That would not be possible if I went away by public transport.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 18:12:56, 25/05/18 »
 ;D   Aye, there's no way I'd get all my camping gear on public transport either!

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 20:12:12, 25/05/18 »
Campsite with lots of other people with big tent.... or wild camp with smaller tent and no other people ?

:-\........ It's a hard choice ......  :D

Fancy a wild camp this weekend beefy?  :D

Yes, off for a wild camp then  :)

PS We don't have a problem with other people as long as they are nowhere near us  O0
Hate will never win

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 21:36:24, 25/05/18 »
The day I got my bus pass, I hopped on the first bus leaving the bus station. Got off at some green space and started walking, used my native geography of the area and a few righteous ways and saw some of the viewpoints, most think are the places to go walking, at a distance and started to think, we all need to get a bit more creative, because of the new angle I was seeing.
Since then I have been blethering on about it but few understand :D , or do they  ;D
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 23:50:42, 25/05/18 »
Since then I have been blethering on about it but few understand :D , or do they  ;D

Yes we do.  But there comes a point where "blethering on" comes across as "ramming it down our throats and trying to make it relevant in every single topic".

Which is a shame because, cutting through all the waffle, the subject is quite interesting - in proportion - and in context.

Back on topic....

mow1701

« Reply #37 on: 09:01:07, 26/05/18 »
I have a horrendous end to a walk at Easter this year. I’d just finished Yorkshire Wolds Way at Filey. I had a train to catch and time in hand. I thought I’d have a celebratory pint(luckily near the station). I sat down with a tasty beer and kindle for a leisurely pint and read! I casually took a look at the progress of my train on the app to discovered it had been cancelled. The next connecting train was 15 minutes away or 2 hours and miss my connection. I had to leave half a pint of beer and run to the station!

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 09:08:17, 26/05/18 »
Now that is serious. You had to run.  James May would be horrified ;D

MichaelUK

« Reply #39 on: 16:31:11, 27/05/18 »
I'm not a big fan of linear walks due to the reliability and frequency of public transport. Recently had a holiday in Berwick, caravan, well recommend. My wife isn't into walking and graciously allowed me a couple of walks; Berwick to Eyemouth via coastal path, and Berwick to Norham along the Tweed. Both cracking walks, and got the bus back. I was fortunate on the Norham walk, I just caught the bus. If I had missed it I would have had to wait another two hours! So check bus time tables. Iv'e just bought my self a tent with the intention of overnight camps and some long distance treks. I live on the edge of the North Pennines so lots of opportunities. I would like to use my car as a base. Find some remote location, 20 odd mile circular walk back to the car, set the tent up. May even try asking some kindly farmer if they mind camping in one of their fields for a fiver lol

Doddy

« Reply #40 on: 17:20:42, 28/05/18 »

I tent wild camp a lot and also camp
wild [/color]  
with my Citroen Berlingo micro camper. Using public transport mostly away from the Berlingo I did most of Hadrians Wall, most of Thames Path, North Downs Way also the Arran Way, Skye Trail, Norfolk Coast Path.
Travelling during the Tourism season helps with odd Taxi to make things easier for the odd strike, public transport finishing early etc
I tent camped early parts of Hadrians Wall and the Thames Path to complete.
Although I do have Senior rail and bus passes getting to these walks is quicker by the car. I live in Lincolnshire and rail travel to and from these walks can add a day at the beginning and end; I will often travel up the evening before to start the walk the next day and will get home or at least half way on completion. I have got home by train the same day after late afternoon finishes of the Pennine Way-shared taxi to train at Berwick. Also from Poole at end of SWCP and Welshpool at the end of Glyndwrs Way. Walking Trails is possible with public transport.

rambling minster

« Reply #41 on: 10:19:53, 29/05/18 »
I'm terrified of cars, the roads and the thought of driving, so I don't have much choice on this matter

the thought of ever driving fills me with dread, as someone with poor concentration and hand-eye co-ordination

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy