Author Topic: Breidden Hills; a short-ish day walk  (Read 2736 times)

Skip

• Veteran Member
Breidden Hills; a short-ish day walk
« on: 09:36:10, 14/01/19 »
Has anyone here walked the Breidden Hills?

I'd been meaning to visit these hills for years. On Sunday (13 Jan) I had a mooch around this small but impressive range near Welshpool.

A glance at the map showed no very obvious way to walk a circuit but in the event I was able to use several permissive footpaths not marked on the OS 25K and climb a gate here and there.

I left the car in the carpark near Criggion at grid ref SJ 2944 1491 then followed signposted forest tracks to the summit of Breidden Hill which is surmounted by Rodney's Column, an obelisk.

From there, I followed my nose south to New Pieces, a minor summit hidden in trees. It was frustrating to walk off the path due to the bracken and brambles.

From there I descended to the south through woodland. This brought me to a small car park at at eastern foot of Middletown Hill, SJ 2969 1305. From this carpark I climbed a gate to walk up to Moel Y Golfa summit then back down by same route. Good views from here.

Middletown Hill also has very fine views. I walked over its summit then down to a col below Bulthy Hill. From there a footpath led steeply down to Belle Eisle Farm. I walked north from the farm on a very muddy track then followed a bridleway and forestry road back to the carpark.

It wasn't a long walk (total distance 5.7 miles) but provided quite a lot of ascent and re-ascent - 1,935 feet accumulated total.

On my way home I stopped to tick off nearby Kempster's Hill, three hundred metres walk to the summit and back in the dusk.
Skip

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
Re: Breidden Hills; a short-ish day walk
« Reply #1 on: 10:28:57, 14/01/19 »
Mrs BWW and I were there last Wednesday. We walked 7+ miles but did not make the summit of Breiddon Hill and Rodney's Pillar as we ran out of light. Kicking the leaves and enjoying the ambience of the half light in the wood on Pritchard's Hill was too tempting.
We stopped and had an interesting chat with the occupier of Belle Eisle Farm.
Bit of current interest in the Breiddens;
As posted by Mel and myself.

If you visited the summit of Kempster's Hill you were off the righteous way, fair game as there seems to be a concerted effort to eradicate the RoW that crosses the NW flank of that hill and joins the road through Cefn Bryn.
Just for your interest you were in England then.

I have had a long time interest in the Maginnis Bridge on the west side of these Hills at Pool Quay. A little recognized off highway crossing of the River Severn. whilst enjoying the panorama from a viewpoint on Bausley Hill I realised the importance of the Melverley Bridge in relationship to the Maginnis Bridge to potential LD walking.
Enjoyed reading your post, glad you had a great day.

BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Skip

• Veteran Member
Re: Breidden Hills; a short-ish day walk
« Reply #2 on: 18:18:52, 15/01/19 »
.... Bit of current interest in the Breiddens;
Yes, it seems so. Thank you for the link to Powys - hill with a wonky summit cairn
Enjoyed reading your post, glad you had a great day.
Thank you very much.
Skip

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy