Author Topic: How hard is Snowdon?  (Read 84766 times)

alfredtehbutler

Re: How hard is Snowdon?
« Reply #15 on: 20:17:10, 16/01/12 »
Depends entirely on the weather. In good weather a piece of cake if your used to walking, in bad weather I wouldn't fancy it myself. It's worth bearing in mind stories like these when thinking about tackling it:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/5507828/Two-brothers-died-together-after-falling-660ft-from-Snowdon-inquest-hears.html [nofollow]

Oh my God, that's awful!
Maybe I'll think twice about going up there then.

Ruthr

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 20:21:43, 16/01/12 »
The met office do mountain forcasts which also include a condition report which will tell you what kit you would need:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/loutdoor/mountainsafety/snowdonia/snowdonia_latest_pressure.html

Ground conditions at the moment:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/loutdoor/mountainsafety/snowdonia/snowdonia_latest_pressure.html

It really does depend on the weather though. I did Snowdon on the last occasion in April with my 7 year old daughter (she was 6 at the time). 4 days prior to us going up there was a big dumping of snow and it was full on winter conditions and too tricky for us to tackle. The snow melted very fast and by the time we went up there it was all gone and we got sun burnt on the way up. It really does depend on the good old british weather. If you do head up in Feb be prepared to have other plans if the weather isn't on your side.
Sponser Emma to walk Scafell Pike next month in aid of Brace and in memory of her Great Nan
http://www.justgiving.com/emmas-challenge

alfredtehbutler

« Reply #17 on: 21:32:38, 16/01/12 »
Pick the right day and it might not be too hard, but my main advice would be to study the Met Office mountain forecasts with devotion up until the morning of the day you go - and simply not go if there are any doubts at all, especially at this time of year.  Ice or snow underfoot on the upper slopes would make even the easy paths on Snowdon quite dangerous, any hill fog or much rain makes it miserable (and always take a map and compass - the prospect of the shame if someone has to rescue you for whatever reason and you haven't bothered to take a couple of ounces of basic kit should be enough to convince you!), and if you're inexperienced on the hills you might find anything over about 35mph on the tops uncomfortable.

It's no fun anyway if conditions are horrible, and you can't rely on seeing too many other people either if you pick the wrong day - we got three-quarters of the way up the PYG Track in horrendous weather last year and barely saw another soul even on a July Sunday afternoon.

Given all that, if you get and wear in some walking boots and you're reasonably fit (the rule of thumb I've heard, which doesn't seem too bad, is to be able to run a brisk non-stop two miles comfortably) and it's a good day, Snowdon isn't the hardest mountain to climb.  I think most people would send a first-timer up the PYG track (and perhaps back down the Miner's), which is pretty short - 3-4 hours up and down isn't unreasonable, very clear and has some fantastic rock and lake scenery.  You'll then feel like going back and trying something else!; it's a great mountain...

To reiterate though, don't even think about it in bad weather in winter...

Yeah I've had a change of heart about going up there in February :P
I think I'll go up at Easter instead maybe.

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 21:55:56, 16/01/12 »
I'd certainly wait till the longer & warmer days before attempting Snowdon for the first time. I, like quite a few on here have done it a few times in different conditions and it varies greatly. Long warm sunny days shouldn't present much of a problem as long as you have plenty of water. The weather can change without prior notice though. The main paths are quite straight forward to follow as long as it isn't too misty, raining and blowing a hoolie. Its a great place and a great challenge and very rewarding. Search the wales section and I'm sure you'll see Snowdon in all the elements that can be thrown at it.
A brief description on the routes is here http://www.mountainwalk.co.uk/walkingsnowdon.html

Mayaculpa

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 22:13:13, 16/01/12 »
Some good advice already been posted here
but be prepared for adverse conditions including
snow, and worse, ICE in February and March.

Snowdon 7th March 2010

If you can lead it to water and make it drink, It isn't a horse <(^_^)>

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mayaculpa/sets/

alfredtehbutler

« Reply #20 on: 23:09:51, 16/01/12 »
Some good advice already been posted here
but be prepared for adverse conditions including
snow, and worse, ICE in February and March.

Snowdon 7th March 2010

I honestly didn't believe that was Wales for a while! If you hadn't said that was Showdown I'd have thought it was taken in the Alps! :P

I can't wait to go up ther to see that first hand, although hopefully with a bit less snow, what month does it normally start getting less icy and snowy up there?

Mayaculpa

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 10:32:55, 17/01/12 »
It can snow any time from october to April staying around longer in the colder months,  hanging on in gullies for a month or so.

Some years are better than others, and the last two or three have been very good.

This year's been warm. It's only snowed once and that has now all gone. I don't expect much more this year. but there is a chance. ::)

Of course, when the snow is down,  weather  conditions are more often like the picture below. Biting cold, windy, flurries of snow and spindrift, with low grey cloud meeting the snow, sometimes you can hardly tell where snow ends and sky begins.

If you can lead it to water and make it drink, It isn't a horse <(^_^)>

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mayaculpa/sets/

llandudnoboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 20:02:17, 09/12/12 »
Choose good weather and apart from the Watkin Path and upper reaches of the Rhydd Ddu path no path up Snowdon is difficult, but you must remember the mountain is 3560ft above sealevel and the weather can be very changeable even in summer.

Use a bit of sense and remember if the weather turns nasty do not continue on as if on a personal mission.

stutakesphotots

« Reply #23 on: 19:43:45, 08/01/13 »
Hi all. Newbie to the forums here.

I did Ben Nevis last year.  How does Snowdon compare?  I did ok getting to the top of Ben Nevis and am probably slightly fitter now.  However, I did not enjoy descending at all.  Must admit to being tempted to catching the train back down from Snowdon

Jellybelly

« Reply #24 on: 20:36:03, 08/01/13 »
about the same really the pony track on the Ben is the same as the main tracks on Snowdon  I have done Ben in just over 5 hours up and down but that was in a rush to do the 3 peaks and in good weather. The miners Llanberis and Pyg tracks are very simlar in style.If your knees hurt then i suggest

Take your time and enjoy the day and views and invest in good walking poles
Is that so

cribgoch

« Reply #25 on: 21:45:38, 08/01/13 »
I've got an outdoor shop in Llanberis. If you are up in February I'll be glad to take you up if you want some company and to show you how great mountains are..

Wurz

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 18:11:09, 09/01/13 »
Snowdon is a great day out and not particularly difficult in good weather but if it's got snow and ice on it once you step over Bwlch Glas at the top of the zig zags if coming up the Pyg or Miners it can be like entering the arctic.  Also the "easy" Llanberis path which roughly follows the railway has a notorious accident black spot between Clogwyn Station and Bwlch Glas.  A slip and failure to arrest with an axe often results in fatalities.  So by all means have a go but be aware that it can be a very serious place.

yateys

« Reply #27 on: 11:37:47, 02/02/13 »
Hello,

Firstly don't let the time of year decide whether you go up the mountain or not let the weather forecast decide.  I've walked up many many hills over Christmas before and had beautiful days(alright - they are a lot shorter) and had horrible days in Summer.

That said, I've never done Snowdon before and if you don't mind I'd like to ask a question while so many experts are here - I'm going up Snowdon May BH, I've looked at the road to Llandberis from Nant Peris on Google Streetview and its packed - cars parked everywhere.  Was this a one off or is Snowdon always rammed packed on BH?

Cheers in advance

llandudnoboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 16:23:19, 02/02/13 »
Once the Snowdon Mountain Railway reopens at around Easter time depending on the weather, the crowds start turning up when the tourist season begins.

May to late September can be incredibly busy, and because Snowdon is the tallest mountain south of Scotland everyone wants to walk or get up it some how.

Unless you want to pay £25 for a spin on the train, choose September to climb Snowdon because by then most of the crowds have gone.

If the weather is fine the Bank Holidays in Llanberis are murder, nowhere to park and Snowdon so busy that its almost shoulder to shoulder on the summit.

For someone who has never been up Snowdon avoid the main tourist season and come later in the year, you will appreciate the mountain far more.

yateys

« Reply #29 on: 18:34:22, 02/02/13 »
Cheers Llandundboy,

Unfortunately there's 9 of us coming so its murder getting everyone the same time off work so the BH will have to do.  My plan is to stay at the campsite with showers in Nant Peris. Arriving Saturday afternoon, Sunday morning up Elider Fawr and follow the tops to Capel Cruig, bus back.  Monday Walk to Llanberis and up Snowdon back to Campsite for tea and drive home the Tuesday.

One of those things - everybody wants to bag Snowdon, everyone wants to have the place to themselves - like Alton Towers :-)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy