Author Topic: Wet Sleddale wander  (Read 2516 times)

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
Wet Sleddale wander
« on: 14:05:06, 21/05/20 »
Rightly or wrongly, I ventured into the Lakes yesterday.  I chose a route I didn't know, but which appeared as safe as possible while also likely to be quiet, making distancing easy.  Still not sure it was the right thing to do - though the comments of the guy from YDNPA made me feel better - see later.

Parked at Wet Sleddale in the car park near the damn wall.  When I arrived there at around 8 there was one car already there.

It was a beautiful day, and on the way into the car park I passed two hares which was a lovely sight.  My route as to take me up past Sleddale Hall which was used in the filming of Withnail and I.  The early part of the route was on a bridle way - easy walking. 

Looking along the reservoir, the white building virtually in the centre is Sleddale Hall.  Water level low after the recent dry weather.

Looking back at the reservoir

The path follows the southern side of the reservoir before cutting northwest to climb the fell past Sleddale Hall.  Here I watched two field voles scampering about before one walked across the path, stopping to sniff my boot.  From there it turns west and climbs gently up the valley side, passing just below the summit of Scam Matthew

The obligatory lamb

Nice easy path

After Scam Matthew the path descends to a river crossing.  The views from the descent are wonderful - this one shows Mosedale Cottage, a beautiful bothy set against the slopes of Branstree

I descended to the bridge at 50642 09993, where I took this picture

At the bridge, I turned right to follow the path northwards as far as Swine Gill, where I turned left (west) to climb steeply towards Selside Pike.  The path follows a fence and the word Swine is well earned, particularly in the heat!!  There is a brief respite when the path drops to cross Hobgrumble Gill my new favourite name in the Lakes.  After the gill the path attacks Selside with a vengeance.  I'm afraid I didn't take any photos of Selside Pike or the traverse to Branstree, and I have no good excuse.  I enjoyed these peaks as it was the first time I had climbed them when they were not covered in cloud.

At Branstree I turned southeast to follow the fence line down to the col between Branstree and Tarn Crag.  I was tempted to climb Tarn Crag, but it was hot and I had an attack of the CBAs.  Instead I turned left to enter Mosedale and descended back, past the cottage to the bridge, where I picked up my outward route.  At Mosedale Cottage I met a couple from Yorkshire and we discussed the lifting to restrictions, the reluctance of the NPs to welcome visitors etc.  He was an employee of a NP and was quite sure that routes such as we were doing are fine - he also said they have strict rules regarding what they are and are not allowed to do, and walking was fine. 

On the way back I crossed paths with a group of around 20 red deer, who scarpered as soon as I got the camera out - sorry they are blurred - they really didn't want me to get a clear shot;

And also watched three buzzards hunting - again they were quite high so this is the best of a bad bunch;

From there I made my hot and weary way back to the car, wishing I could stop over and have a pint!

Lovely walk, made better by the very dry conditions underfoot.  I have never walked from here before, but will be returning - stunning way into some wonderful quiet country.  Total walk was 14 miles with just over 800m climb according to the GPS.

« Last Edit: 14:45:33, 21/05/20 by pdstsp »

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Wet Sleddale wander
« Reply #1 on: 15:06:48, 21/05/20 »
Lovely photos, I'm not surprised it was quiet it always is round there.
It sounds like you had a lot of lovely wild life encounters.
I understand about not taking photos, it isn't often a priority for me and if you are having a lovely experience it is easy to forget.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:13:52, 21/05/20 »
Superb images. Lovely shots of the reservoir with the placid water & great to see the deer.  O0
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:35:31, 21/05/20 »
Great photos, and an enjoyable trip report of an area that I have yet to explore. I will do so soon!

Wasn't it a scorcher!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:02:27, 21/05/20 »
Thanks chaps - I appreciate your comments.

Ridge - I generally take quite a few photos, but I was a bit distracted by finding somewhere out of the wind to eat my truly appalling lunch  - pdstsp son was asked to source a scotch egg on his weekly trip to Sainsburys and instead came home with "mini egg bites" - bleughh.

G&P - the deer were a real surprise, they appeared in front of me out of the blue and stood looking at me for a few seconds before legging it.

Richard - it certainly was warm!!  And well worth an explore, but do it before the rains come, I suspect it's a different area after a typical Lakeland downpour.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:29:25, 21/05/20 »
It is not unusual to see deer in that area.  I think they use it as a hideout when the lakes get busy as it has very little human traffic.  The slopes on the N side of Haweswater, the slopes N of Kentmere and the top end of Martindale are also reliable areas.
Solvitur Ambulando

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:01:37, 21/05/20 »
Yes I have seen them often from Grey Crag round to Place Fell, The Nab etc, and round Haweswater, and even over near Gowbarrow (which was a surprise to me and the deer).  Yesterday's were a surprise because they came out of nowhere - they made my day.  The fellside of Seavy side had three quite large groups - around 35 in one group as the ones  I saw married up with another similar group, and around 10 to 12 higher on the fell. 

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:03:25, 21/05/20 »
Lovely pics Paul O0

Wet Sleddale looks a lot nicer than when I did it ( the clues in the name  ;)  )

But my goodness that never ending convex climb up to Selside must have been hard in yesterday's heat  :o

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 17:24:45, 21/05/20 »

Cheers Karl

Certainly was a bit warmer than our wander up Red Screes on the meet in march, Karl!!  It's an ascent route I may not take again.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 18:06:29, 21/05/20 »
Great pics pdstsp  O0

Crikey 14 miles and 800m of ascent in the hot weather of yesterday  :o

It is always great to see deer, I just wish they would stay still  :)
Hate will never win

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:17:52, 21/05/20 »
Cheers April, yes I'd forgotten how much fell fitness had dropped :-[ , but it really was a wonderful day.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 19:36:05, 21/05/20 »
I'd forgotten how much fell fitness had dropped :-[ , but it really was a wonderful day.

I am well impressed you did that distance and ascent in the heat of yesterday. We struggled to do 8.25 miles with 320m of ascent  :)
Hate will never win

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 19:46:24, 21/05/20 »
A superb day out and pics in a fine area that is still often deserted. O0
The heat may have been a disadvantage but the drier ground would certainly improve things, much of Wet Sleddale is a real bogfest.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 21:58:25, 21/05/20 »
Lovely pics, especially the last one.  Seems like a well deserved trip out.

Rightly or wrongly, I ventured into the Lakes yesterday.  I chose a route I didn't know, but which appeared as safe as possible while also likely to be quiet, making distancing easy.  Still not sure it was the right thing to do - though the comments of the guy from YDNPA made me feel better - see later.

I don't want to push this too much but you were within your rights to go for a walk, the BMC are pushing for people to be responsible and exercise/climb well within their limits to reduce the probability of issues - you did exactly what was asked so I wouldn't worry too much.

I was on Blencathra yday evening and found it very quiet, had a chat with a guy on the summit who was mourning the loss of his wife, and he wanted to sit enjoying the sunset on the same day of the year they both were there last year.  Really was a sublime view.  Realised to some extent many people find their calm and their peace in the hills - and if that equates to a few extra miles in a car then so be it.  Still think it'd be daft to drive 4-5+ hours to do a day walk, but perhaps it is one of those cases where the 'treatment' can be worse than the disease for some people, in this case quite literally.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 22:33:13, 21/05/20 »
Thanks April, VG and FMOP - I think we will all struggle for a while to come to terms with whatever the new normality is.  And I think my opinion will likely sway over the coming months.  Yesterday I felt ok about it.  But over the coming weekend I will stay local and then re-assess.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy