Author Topic: C2C in 2017  (Read 23345 times)

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
Re: C2C in 2017
« Reply #30 on: 12:53:14, 19/10/16 »
mikelaluz- I know where you mean along Ennerdale Water, its the bit around Anglers Crag thats a bit of a scramble?  I seem to remember thats the lower path and there might be a higher path to take? Or maybe I'm thinking of somewhere else!  I do recall it's a bit tricky if not used to scrambling. I think I took off my rucksack and passed it down to my other half and he helped me down. Like you said a lot of people take the northern path, though it's not so interesting.

Alewife - a good piece of advice to remember is, plan your route but be prepared to change it according to the weather.  We often ended up doing the low route when we'd planned the high route and vice versa. And there's no set route the aim is to walk from one coast to the other!

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 13:23:26, 19/10/16 »
Yes, the North side around Ennerdale is a nice smooth path and then onto a forest track, much easier to walk on than the other side of the water. It might not seem as interesting but there's plenty of interest in the next 180 miles or so  O0

Just be aware of "low routes" as some of them really aren't "low" at all, merely lower than the other alternatives. The "low route" after Black Sail Hut is still a fair climb before descending down to Honister, so don't be fooled by the "low" word, lol.

If weather is good, one "high" route I'd recommend for views is the one between Borrowdale and Grasmere, that takes in Calf Crag, Gibson Knott and Helm Crag. Basically, when you get to the bit where you decided high or low, you're quite high up anyway and not too far to climb to reach Calf Crag then a ridge walk along the other 2 summits before a steep descent into Grasmere. The "low" route basically heads down from the turn off and through the valley.
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

mikelaluz

« Reply #32 on: 14:02:31, 19/10/16 »
Yes, the North side around Ennerdale is a nice smooth path and then onto a forest track, much easier to walk on than the other side of the water. It might not seem as interesting but there's plenty of interest in the next 180 miles or so  O0

Just be aware of "low routes" as some of them really aren't "low" at all, merely lower than the other alternatives. The "low route" after Black Sail Hut is still a fair climb before descending down to Honister, so don't be fooled by the "low" word, lol.

If weather is good, one "high" route I'd recommend for views is the one between Borrowdale and Grasmere, that takes in Calf Crag, Gibson Knott and Helm Crag. Basically, when you get to the bit where you decided high or low, you're quite high up anyway and not too far to climb to reach Calf Crag then a ridge walk along the other 2 summits before a steep descent into Grasmere. The "low" route basically heads down from the turn off and through the valley.

Hi bricam

Agree totally 'low routes' in the scheme of things are not that low - When climbing up from Black Sail there was a very strong Easterly and I decided to keep to the 'low' route to Honister but as per your advice the next day into Grasmere was fine wind wise and I was happy to take the 'high' route and as you say you're already up there it would be a waste not to.

Rural Roamer you're right alternative routes are key and I was surprised  that of the people I met many had little map reading skills and were very much reliant on whatever Guide Book they were following. :-\

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 14:18:47, 19/10/16 »
we might have crossed paths on the C2C then as I finished in St. Bees on Saturday afternoon  O0
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

mikelaluz

« Reply #34 on: 14:42:16, 19/10/16 »
Hi Brian

I started at St Bees 4/10 and finished on Friday 7/10 so I think we would have been a few days apart.

A bit gutted that I couldn't carry on because once the Easterly had subsided on the Wednesday having stayed at Honister YH Thursday and Friday were glorious days and perfect walking weather.

Hoping to get it completed before New Year although work may get in the way unfortunately :-[

Mountaingirl

« Reply #35 on: 17:20:09, 25/10/16 »
Having walked the coast to coast now 9 times and planning my 10th, next year. I can recommend the walking poles for a long distance walk, saves a lot of stress on the knees, great for wet boggy sections and warding off animals, especially dogs. Although the walking poles can be a pain whilst going over stiles. A lot of the coast to coast route can be wet and boggy in places and one's to note are, at the top of Loft Beck, Greenup Edge, from Boredale Hause to the Knott, Nine Standards, Greystone Hills. Although, that depends on the time of the year and how much rain has fallen in recent months, but I've known these places to be bone dry, so it's down to luck, I guess. The Nine Standards is a tricky crossing in misty weather and a gps or a compass/1.25000 map is a must. A good alternative route is the green route, which leads to the B6270 road and a couple of miles to rejoin the route to Ney Gill. The downside is, you miss out on seeing the Nine Standards, but nothing stopping you going up to see them, if you can see them and retrace steps to the green route. from Keld to Reeth is a choice of two routes and that is the high and low paths. The high route takes you along old mine working and can be a little remote in places, but interesting, if you like old mine workings and it's history. the lower route is best in foul weather and that takes you along the river swale, but a lot of stiles and meadows. One idea is split it, that walk from Keld to Gunnerside Gill and walk to Gunnerdale via the Gill and then along the swale to Reeth.
lots of useful advice like this one and others. thank you everyone. I am the other half of the partner in crime ;)  Info on any other tricky places to negotiate would be appreciated.   Did you get lots of dogs behaving badly!?  :o   my fears is more of cows.

I have walked the South shore of Ennerdale water. I think the lower path at Angler's Crag could be tricky as it drops down to the shore if I remember... ::) . We could take relaxed north shore path if Alewife agrees.

As for provisions, what I am looking for are fruits...apples and bananas. I don't eat crisps or chocolate bar for lunch. bricam or anybody else, are they easy to find?

I can't decide which book to buy. I could only find Martin Wainwright book to have a look, but there were some criticism that he walked in frozen condition and there is no info about how long the stretch is. I could not make sense of what he is describing with the map on the spot where I once got lost. Obviously, A Wainwright wrote both text and the map.
And so, they are in perfect harmony, though there aren't enough details in some places on either of them if he misses it. Mike, is Stedman book good?  - make sense of instruction with map?

About the harvey's strip maps: how far would they give you if we go off the path? 
« Last Edit: 17:48:47, 25/10/16 by Mountaingirl »

staggerindragon

« Reply #36 on: 06:36:41, 26/10/16 »
I hope I'm not jumping in out of turn here.

Can't say I remember any negative cattle encounters on the C2C this autumn.  Later, near Sedbergh, a couple of friendly pet cows tried to snack on my backpack belt, and a frisky stirk made a bit of a mock charge, but those were the only memorable encounters.  If you're lucky, you'll meet the fell ponies just across the motorway outside of Shap. :-)

When you end up in boggier areas, avoid the brighter green mossy bits.  Look for grasses, reeds and heather.  They'll be growing on firmer ground.  The bumpy hummocks are tiring on the feet and ankles, but they'll be higher and drier too.  Gaiters and leather boots really pay off too.

For books, I read Wainwright before I left but brought the Steadman guide with me.  It was also helpful in planning which services I could expect in villages and towns along the way.  I confirmed opening times on the internet before I left, and one or two had, in fact, closed since the book was published.  I used the route descriptions as a general guide to plan/mark my route out on the OS maps. I didn't do that well with Steadman's diagrams, I'm afraid.

I'm curious, has anyone taken the option of going up Kidsty Pike and then back along High Street down to Bampton Common instead of the Haweswater shoreline path?  What are the views like?  A local said he liked the route.

As for food, I stopped in the Grasmere Co-op, Patterdale store, Shap Co-op, Tebay Services, Kirkby Stephen Co-ops, and the shops in Reeth and Richmond.  They all had selections of fresh fruit and veg (some fresher than others).  I didn't stop in, but I think the Muker tea room/village shop also has non-junk type food, but definitely check their hours.

I'll shush now . . . I hope you're having a great time planning!

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 13:58:58, 26/10/16 »
Thanks SD.

So this is an outline of our plan, for anyone who is interested (or wants to join us for a stroll at any point O0 )
St Bees –Cleator        29/4         
Cleator-Ennerdale Br 30/4
Ennerdale Br – Rosthwaite 1/5
Rosthwaite – Grasmere 2/5
Grasmere- Patterdale 3/5
Patterdale-Shap 4/5
Shap-Kirkby Stephen 5/5
KS-Keld  6/5
Keld- High Flemington  7/5
HF – Richmond  8/5
Richmond – Danby Whisk  9/5
D Wh- Osmotherly N  10/5
N Osm- Clay Bank top 11/5
CBT –Glaisdale  12/5
Glaisdale-Littlebeck  13/5
LB – RHB 14/5
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 15:39:08, 26/10/16 »
Re: Southern Ennerdale path and Anglers Crag. There is no lower or higher path, just the one that involves an easy short scramble across mid Anglers Crag. It has a few cul de sacs, worn where people have attempted to go straight on or for viewing purposes, worn into it. Basically you go the easier worn way, upwards, until the way is obvious.
Two pics showing the way down, it's just one path meandering about somewhat. The distant shot looking back is of the final drop off path from it's high point, here you can see that there is no lower path. I made a point of looking for one and there simply isn't one.
You may be able to find the pics in one of my C2C bloggs, see website at the bottom of this post. In the blogg click on the photo in quiestion to enlarge for a better view.
« Last Edit: 15:52:28, 26/10/16 by Slogger »

Mountaingirl

« Reply #39 on: 12:01:40, 27/10/16 »
thank you for useful info SD and Slogger. I will take time to read your blog. You did it in a cracking pace, Mad :o ! I make a note about shops. ..pet cows  ???    I don't want to be befriended by any cows. 
Should I go for Steadman's book?
I must have read about the shore of Anglers Crag and imagined 'lower path'  and went straight to the route above.  ::)
...just reading your blog, Slogger. You met so many generous people. Especially, Steve at Richmond was so kind. I would have burst into tears if I were you O0
« Last Edit: 12:48:44, 27/10/16 by Mountaingirl »

mikelaluz

« Reply #40 on: 10:16:28, 28/10/16 »
Hi Mountaingirl

As per earlier posts the Steadman book is really good for planning - accommodation, shops and pubs etc. The mapping is not very detailed and IMO you certainly need the OS maps alongside the guide - The AA map (Number 2 I think) is great for the Lake's as it covers a large part of the route which requires 2 OS maps (after Grasmere).

Slogger the scramble over Anglers Crag I agree is not difficult however it was a shock and for someone who has no head for heights I will definitely be taking the north shore route next time. You are correct that there is no higher path on the south shore as that is what I thought I'd missed somehow.

Mountaingirl

« Reply #41 on: 11:44:29, 28/10/16 »
thank you Mike. I ordered Stedman's book O0

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 23:11:31, 29/10/16 »
Mountaingirl - I think wherever you can get sandwiches you will probably be able to get fruit. As mentioned Co-ops are pretty good and cheap, village shops too.
We used the Cicerone guide for the C2c but the Trailblazer guide ( which I think the Steadmn one is) for the Pennine way, which we preferred. If you're not using a gps then you probably need to have the OS maps as well.  We were ramblers members at the time so hired them from them. But I think it was 8 maps which took up room in our luggage! there may be some way you can download them and just print out the route and take the relevant sheet(s) each day, or borrow from the library and photocopy (if thats allowed).
Re cows, I'm not keen but I just get on with it now. If I let it worry me I wouldn't do the walk. You will encounter some, if you're lucky they will be at the far side of the field away from where you need to go, if you're unlucky they will be right by the gate you need to go through. On the Pennine Way we were about 10 mins behind another couple and they spoke about having to try and shoo a group of cows away when they climbed over a gate, when we got there they were nowhere to be seen. Just make sure you read the advice on encountering cows.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 23:21:05, 29/10/16 »
Slogger - re Anglers Crag, have just checked the Cicerone guide, it says re the southern path-
" Energetic souls may opt for a steeply ascending path, encountered a little before Anglers crag, crossing the top of the crag, a splendid viewpoint, before descending steeply on the other side. A more pronounced way takes a lower line and clambers through the fractured base of the crag with much less expenditure of energy"

At the time I think we were looking for the "higher" path but couldn't find it and took what we thought was the "lower" path.  From what I recall we decided that the higher path must have gone off before we thought. The weather was dreadful that day and the paths were all like waterfalls.

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 17:57:01, 30/10/16 »
Re: Higher Anglers Crag path. There is a higher path above Anglers Crag but it doesn't drop down to the water for quite some distance. It leads to the Red beck path which drops steeply down by a wall. This is a horrible descent especially in summer when the ferns are shoulder high and the path beneath virtually impossible to see or follow. During a C2C following a more direct line some years ago, I came down from the Crag fell path to descend the Red Beck and made an error ending up on that higher path going in the direction of the top of Anglers Crag. I realised my mistake and backtracked to the rest of the horrendous path down to the water.
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipOPSaHtnj4701XNpeXgv14TWu7Et6ktdHvsfQQS

I mention it in my blog of the walk:-
http://3day15hourcoasttocoast.blogspot.co.uk/
« Last Edit: 18:04:08, 30/10/16 by Slogger »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy