Author Topic: scottish vs. english currency  (Read 2747 times)

gpunkt

scottish vs. english currency
« on: 14:31:50, 18/05/08 »
Hello everybody!
My girlfriend and I want to take the WHW Scotland in late August and I have a last question..
There is this 'problem' with the English vs. Scottish currency. We could take traveller checks, order a VISA card, or whatever... what would be the best solution?
greets,
nils g.

kirbstones

Re: scottish vs. english currency
« Reply #1 on: 15:18:30, 18/05/08 »
Hi Nils

Scottish and English currency is interchangable.  Scottish Banks issue their own notes, but English ones are accepted everywhere.  Visa is probably a good idea.  Hope you enjoy the WHW.

Phil
Phil
www.lakeland-walks.co.uk - guided walking in the Lake District and beyond.
www.windermere-way.co.uk - a walk around England's largest lake.

the coot

« Reply #2 on: 07:43:28, 19/05/08 »
Only the RBS issues £1 notes now, and you don't see them very often, but get rid of them before you head back to England. I've never had problems using Scottish currency in England, but then I don't go further south than Cumbria and they are used to it.

karen_the_artist

« Reply #3 on: 09:46:46, 19/05/08 »
I've never had a problem using either.  I come from the south of England, but live in Scotland and have had Scottish notes accepted down there.

As mentioned above, the only problem would be the £1 note. That's been out of circulation in England for a long time.  I was given one in Scotland recently and wondered what it was  ;D

There was a piece on the news recently where the presenter took Scottish notes down to London to see how many stores would accept them, and they all would.

Have a good trip  O0
Karen - lurking somewhere in Perthshire, Scotland

muymalestado

« Reply #4 on: 11:10:41, 19/05/08 »
Yes; no problems within Scotland, but taking Scottish notes to England can be.  Just tell them Scottish notes are backed by oil, the best small country in the world, and worth 20% more!
I think this next one will be the top ...

timus

« Reply #5 on: 12:48:43, 19/05/08 »
Changing the subject a bit, some of the new Scottish notes look a bit like Euros don't you think?

Ian s

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 13:44:51, 19/05/08 »
Yeah, I find the colour schemes confusing on the new notes too. could be disastrous :o

Ian
www.mountainfreedom.co.uk
www.mountainfreedom.co.uk - Guided walking, scrambling and mountain skills throughout Scotland and further afield

antandjoe

« Reply #7 on: 16:39:37, 21/05/08 »
There seems to be some ongoing debate as to whether or not Scottish notes are fully legal currency in England. As far as I have always been aware, the fact that they say £10 sterling (or whatever) makes them legal throughout the UK. Certainly its a long time since anyone ever refused to take mine off me in England - tho' Sam Smiths pubs are intructed not to accept anything above a £5 note, and there are some concerns about the number of forgeries of Scottish £20s - hopefully improved by the new issue. If in doubt, any bank will exchange them for the local version.
Now if you do want to confuse an English shopkeeper, try paying with an Ulster banknote!!

Anthony
Peaceful retreats in Dumfries and Galloway!
http://idlehourholidays.co.uk [nofollow]

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 11:32:18, 03/06/08 »
A word of warning about scottish notes

They are usually accepted in England but not always & they are certainly not accepted as currency in many foreign countries.

Have seen people have real problems with them.

Always use stirling or even better dollars-Best

As the scots seem to enjoy passing their scabby banknotes onto us english, I always save any NI banknotes I get to give back to them.

They do not seem to like the return favour & it always leaves me with a warm smug feeling!!!!!

Ian s

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 09:29:16, 09/06/08 »
Hi midweek,
maybe we should stop letting you have our oil if you don't like our money? ;)

I don't see why living in a virtualy flat and overpopulated country should give you such a smug feeling. Oh and I hear it's been raining in the flatlands....

Welcome to the forum by the way!

Ian
www.mountainfreedom.co.uk - Guided walking, scrambling and mountain skills throughout Scotland and further afield

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy