Author Topic: Skye scrambling  (Read 1323 times)

stevet

Skye scrambling
« on: 15:50:20, 01/02/09 »
I believe in putting money into the local area I'm visiting and have a trip to Skye planned in the spring.  There are a few Skye guides with websites around but does anyone on here know a local guide they can recommend for some scrambling/climbing?  Or any tips/books to aid going it alone?

Cheers!

kirbstones

Re: Skye scrambling
« Reply #1 on: 16:08:33, 01/02/09 »
I would say Ian is your man http://www.mountainfreedom.co.uk/  he will probably be out enjoying the snow but wouldn't be surprised to see him on here later.  O0
Phil
www.lakeland-walks.co.uk - guided walking in the Lake District and beyond.
www.windermere-way.co.uk - a walk around England's largest lake.

Mazio

« Reply #2 on: 17:44:36, 01/02/09 »
I have this two books:
Classic Mountain Scrambles in Scotland - Andrew Dempster
Scotland's Mountain Ridges - Dan Bailey
They may be helpfull for the beginning.
sorry for possible language mistakes - I'm still learning English which will propably take the rest of my life.. ;)

Ian s

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:36:06, 01/02/09 »
The SMC publish a very comprehensive scrambling guide book funnily enough caled "Skye Scrambles".  This will certainly give you a flavour of what's on offer. Treat the grades with caution though - for instance you can get some grade 2s that are walking with rocky steps and some that are 1000ft steep protectionless slabs covered in rubble. It's much more of a "mountain" environment that scrambling in the lakes for instance where all the routes are clean and well trodden.

A lot of people seem to come a cropper by taking too little time to try to do too much in the Cuillin - it's definitely worth taking a little time to find your feet and get a feel for the place.

I'm happy to offer you info on specific routes or whatever if you need it. You'll also find a fair few pictures and info on my web site.

Ian
www.mountainfreedom.co.uk
« Last Edit: 10:45:36, 04/02/09 by Ian s »
www.mountainfreedom.co.uk - Guided walking, scrambling and mountain skills throughout Scotland and further afield

stevet

« Reply #4 on: 18:42:52, 01/02/09 »
Cheers for the info,

Will see if I can find the books recommended to look at.  Which routes would you recommend as starting points?  I have read Bruach na frithe or Squrr Dearg are ok!

Any views on local guides?
« Last Edit: 18:50:27, 01/02/09 by stevet »

Ian s

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:55:43, 01/02/09 »
Hi Steve,
if you send me an email  to [email protected] outlining your plans, timescale, etc, then I'll be able to send you a more fullsome reply :)

Ian
www.mountainfreedom.co.uk

www.mountainfreedom.co.uk - Guided walking, scrambling and mountain skills throughout Scotland and further afield

stevet

« Reply #6 on: 18:35:46, 02/02/09 »
Thanks Ian for the mail much appreciated! 

You sure seem to know what you're talking about and give honest, unbiased info, great.  Look forward to seeing you up there!  O0

Cheers Steve

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy