Author Topic: Next LDW offas dyke accommodation please  (Read 2170 times)

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
Next LDW offas dyke accommodation please
« on: 20:52:58, 22/04/18 »
Hostels look thin on the ground so bought a tent my friend will carry it in the car.
So looking for recommendations
1st choice hostels and bunk barns
2nd choice camping
3rd choice cheap b n bs
Great things are done when women and mountains meet.

Ozymandiac

Re: Next LDW offas dyke accommodation please
« Reply #1 on: 11:13:05, 23/04/18 »
We walked Offa's from south to north (starting in Chepstow) and mostly stayed in averagely priced B&Bs. I don't know what you consider cheap. So I can only recommend the following.
* Beeches Farm Campsite, Brockweir [camping]. Close to the trail, you can buy firewood.
* Radnors End Campsite, Hay-On-Wye [camping]. Close to trail, has a small trailer used a common room.

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:57:24, 23/04/18 »
Thank you Ozymandiac I'll  put them on my list ,Only use bnbs as a last resort due to cost, no where to cook in the evening and I don't eat breakfast lol.

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:37:13, 23/04/18 »
Good campsite at Pen Y Stryt (Llandegla).

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:43:05, 23/04/18 »
There is a wondeful place to camp just south of Welshpool. If you are hiking north you will walk past a mobile home site, on your right, set in the grounds of a mansion, which is now the sites hotel, resturant and office area.

I walked in (2015) and the groundsman gave me a lift on his small tractor unit, took me to a wonderfully manicured lawn in front of an ornamental pond, smashing! A fiver for the night.

That evening I dined in the restaurant with 4 people from Canada. A very good meal and great company.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:11:41, 23/04/18 »
I was going to suggest another couple of places but I'm worried that my memory is mixing up sites on Offas Dyke and the Cotswold Way. I just cannot decide which is which, sorry, old age comes to the fore!

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:33:37, 23/04/18 »
I was going to suggest another couple of places but I'm worried that my memory is mixing up sites on Offas Dyke and the Cotswold Way. I just cannot decide which is which, sorry, old age comes to the fore!
No worries I can Google them.

Ozymandiac

« Reply #7 on: 08:54:48, 24/04/18 »
Thank you Ozymandiac I'll  put them on my list ,Only use bnbs as a last resort due to cost, no where to cook in the evening and I don't eat breakfast lol.

You're welcome :) I just remembered something from our guidebook (Trailblazer Guide Books – Offa's Dyke Path: Prestatyn to Chepstow [nofollow]). I said that you can camp on the grounds of the Hunters Moon Inn in Llangattock Lingoed. Since we haven't used it ourselves I can't recommend it but it might be possible. Best to phone ahead to be sure.

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 11:57:20, 24/04/18 »
There is a wondeful place to camp just south of Welshpool. If you are hiking north you will walk past a mobile home site, on your right, set in the grounds of a mansion, which is now the sites hotel, resturant and office area.

I walked in (2015) and the groundsman gave me a lift on his small tractor unit, took me to a wonderfully manicured lawn in front of an ornamental pond, smashing! A fiver for the night.

That evening I dined in the restaurant with 4 people from Canada. A very good meal and great company.
Was this Edderton Hall.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 12:05:29, 24/04/18 »
Yes, it is. I looked it up last night, couldn't remember its name when I wrote in.

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 12:12:55, 24/04/18 »
Yes, it is. I looked it up last night, couldn't remember its name when I wrote in.
Lovely thank you

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy