Author Topic: Making My Walks Even More Enjoyable  (Read 1318 times)

Lee in Doncaster

• Veteran Member
Making My Walks Even More Enjoyable
« on: 19:33:37, 05/09/18 »
A list of things that I think would make my walks even more enjoyable....anyone got anything to add?

http://peakwalking.blogspot.com/2018/09/a-list-of-things-that-i-think-would.html
Walking every week in the Peak District...or somewhere else   http://peakwalking.blogspot.com

astaman

Re: Making My Walks Even More Enjoyable
« Reply #1 on: 20:08:31, 05/09/18 »
Make all agricultural subsidies dependent on participation in easy access for walkers schemes. Especially providing stiles over all barbed wire fences. A large amount of public money goes in to maintaining these farms and ease of access seems a reasonable payback for the tax payers. AND I am in favour of public funding helping to maintain the upland farming sector in particular.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:04:58, 06/09/18 »
Personally I dont mind stiles, part of the countryside experience.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:10:42, 06/09/18 »
A pub at the end of a hiking day. Comfortable and dry feet. No trouble from cows and dogs. Meeting and talking to people on route. Good coffee and cake shops on route. Little or no road walking.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:10:38, 06/09/18 »
I think your No.1 does not go far enough.
Bus stops marked on Ordnance Survey maps.
The general malaise in recognizing  how important the growth of the leisure industry to modern day economics has not seeped into the political system. The Rights of Way network should be allowed to alter, so that it links into the public transport system. In fact many lostways are old pedestrian routes to defunct stations (Beeching's axed rail lines).
 A point that seems to have been left out of the 'Stepping forward' initiative, is the value of these old ways. If you a have a route from one direction and another from the other side of the line, then there is a longer route, often across countryside, that is lost to the network.

This leads to a thought that there was a civil understanding that allowed footpaths to develop for this very purpose and this has been lost by the current thinking of a fixed rights of way system.A Prime example of this is in the 11 square mile area without RoWs in Herefordshire adjacent to Harry Cotterill's estate, the landowner, who was President of the CLA, when they published a policy on access and around the time that much of the negotiation was taking place.

Now this links into the development of Health and Safety legislation, landowners should not allowed be exemption, by creating risk in denying reasonable access, to a recognizable destination.

Astaman's post is relevant, but the means of withholding SFS payments for non- compliance is there to be used, the onus should be placed on the landowner not the farmer, in this way the penalty falls on the part of the business that is responsible for land management not food production. It is ironic that the area of land that is used for public access is taken off the acreage SFS are payed out on, that acreage has an economic force both direct and indirect, this benefit to the rural community in income is substantial. The loss is born by other rural enterprises and not the landowner, who denies access.

A recognition from landowners that their occupation of our countryside has an impact on all of us. Perhaps they should have a code of conduct that reflects this, as 99.9% of us observe the countryside code and perhaps those that don't would be better behaved if the example was set from their side.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Lee in Doncaster

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:49:35, 06/09/18 »
Personally I dont mind stiles, part of the countryside experience.

At the end of a walk when I might be tired, or hurrying to catch the bus I really don't want to be having to cope with stiles.
Walking every week in the Peak District...or somewhere else   http://peakwalking.blogspot.com

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:39:22, 06/09/18 »
Bus stops are marked on GoogleEarth though.  Clicking on them tells you the number of the service and links to the company site for timetable.

+1 for persuading cows not to churn up gateways.
-1 for standardizing gate fastenings - I love a challenge and I have solved so many I now have a PhD in origami.
Mrs N votes for no cows near paths, we have agreed to disagree on that.
Personal favourite - a real ale pub close to the walk finish.  If they sell pork pies even better.

Solvitur Ambulando

Lee in Doncaster

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:03:22, 06/09/18 »
Google Maps is very good for preparing a walk...unfortunately I don't have a smartphone and so can't take it with me.

I think I might obsess a bit about gates; it's not just the different types of latches, it's also the way they open - push or pull, is the latch is to the right or to the left/

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:51:25, 06/09/18 »
A little bit of social history, or some historical significance surrounding the terrain to be walked.
Here in Dyffryn, there are a significant number of historical artifacts dotted around the landscape, and according to my new book on the social history of the Southern Rhinogs, there are a few incredibly  rare tethering hooks used to subdue unruly animals, that the Drovers found tricky to handle.

The iron hooks are somewhere in the vicinity of the road leading to Bwlch Yr Rhiwgyr, and considering the Droving industry finished in the late 1850s, its amazing they have survived.

Annoyingly Twm Elias, the author has not given a grid reference, so locating the hooks will be a huge challenge.

I suppose many of us who undertake a particular walk, never really delve deeper to discover what happened in the locality in the distant past.

I know history is not to everyones taste, but i personally find the history of an area incredibly rewarding, and if its on my very doorstep, more the better.

My number one historical walk whilst living in South Wales, was a walk along the Penydarren Tramroad from Merthyr Tydfil to Quakers Yard.

The very first stretch of railway line to carry passengers of any kind in open carriages.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 07:26:30, 07/09/18 »
Personal favourite - a real ale pub close to the walk finish.  If they sell pork pies even better.

Now we're talking!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 08:40:36, 07/09/18 »
I enjoyed a couple of fine pork pies at the Wasdale Inn, on Monday evening with my son, after our Safell Massive adventure, what a great day that was? ;)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy