Author Topic: Calories - Alternative Sources  (Read 2764 times)

Glyno

• Veteran Member
Re: Calories - Alternative Sources
« Reply #15 on: 21:00:58, 11/12/18 »
I don't ever think about calories when I'm walking, I just carry stuff that takes my fancy - a sandwich for lunch and ginger nuts/flapjack for nibbles.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 21:03:46, 11/12/18 »
Don't buy the factory made kind.  We have a butchers that make their own pork pies

family's from Melton Mowbray so I'm well aware of what pork pies should be like and just how bad the supermarket variety are. Still not for me when out walking. 

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 21:20:13, 11/12/18 »
We need proper boulangeries in this country.  In France every village had one, I used to drop in on the way to a walk and pick up a bag of breakfast - hot buttery croissants, pain au chocolat or pain au raisins.  Add a small baguette for lunch and perhaps a tart for afters.  Tie that in with some pate or cheese and a couple of tomatoes and you have the makings of a great summit lunch.  Still have the Opinel knife I used to make lunch as a souvenir.
Solvitur Ambulando

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 21:29:55, 11/12/18 »
I have a breakfast of oats and banana in skimmed milk and it keeps me going till into the afternoon. For pit stops I take sandwiches, filled rolls, some grapes.

taxino8

« Reply #19 on: 22:06:56, 11/12/18 »
One thing I always take is the good old Mars Bar, although you need a couple of them these days as they have shrank quite a bit.

Robert Abroad

« Reply #20 on: 19:46:56, 13/12/18 »
I don't count calories, I go for ' easy' food, that is fairly easy to prepare. I bring some macaroni, a smoked sausage or some sort of salami and a packet of powdered sauce. A small can of Spam is great too. Just add the contents to taste in a pot with enough water, boil and eat. Not too much water, so you don't have to drain it. A bit soupy is nice. (I find that when walking I need all the water I can get).
The Bachelor pasta 'n Sauce may not be everybody's favourite but when I'm hungry it's delicious. Instant noodles are tasty as well.
Intant mashed potatoes and sausage are nice, couscous and spices are easy and all quick to prepare without using too much fuel.In between of course there's chocolate in all different sorts, or nuts / trail mix. A packet of biscuits (McVities chocolate covered  digestives!!) offers great psychological benefits as well.
When I've been out for four or five days I always expect to have lost weight but when I step on the scales at home there is hardly any significant loss: apparently I take in enough calories.Pricewise this is an economic solution. All available from your local supermarket, prepacked at home in the sizes/quantities that you require. It doesn't have " Outdoor"  or " Adventure" stamped on it and that reduces the price by about 90%.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 20:43:37, 13/12/18 »
Reading the title of this thread I feared it was going to be about eating earthworms and stuff, Bear Grylls style.

I think I've posted my menu on here before, and it's on my web pages, so I won't repeat it. All I want to say is, unlike some people I quite like freeze-dried dinners, my favourites being BeWell Expedition Food and Summit To Eat.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 22:28:24, 13/12/18 »
Now I do like a good pie, but it's generally not something I take on the hill.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 22:29:43, 13/12/18 »
One thing I always take is the good old Mars Bar, although you need a couple of them these days as they have shrank quite a bit.

Not a fan of too much sugar - for nibbles I prefer nuts and dried fruit.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 13:28:33, 14/12/18 »
Don't buy the factory made kind.  We have a butchers that make their own pork pies and a deli that sells home made Devon pasties and pork pies made from top quality meat so a lot less grease.  The pasties are especially good, no air gaps inside at all and a crisp light pastry - blast, now I've got drool on my keyboard.

Stop it with the Pasties, your making me hungry.  :)

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 15:57:39, 18/12/18 »
Much of what has been mentioned are the things that go in my rucksack.
I do often rely on pork pies from a local butchers and rarely take sandwiches these days. Although I used to take a jam sandwich just as a mid morning snack.
The other year I did have a 'flirt' with Falafel wraps - which were very tasty & less prone to being squashed in the rucksack.

Two notable omissions from the grocers/supermarket shelves are the oatcakes that I used to get, not the bland plain versions, but apple & cinnamon were very tasty. The manufacturer seems to have abandoned that variety.
Also, after trying loads of dried fruit & nuts I found an Asda version was just what I needed. It included tropical fruits and especially welcome were the dried banana pieces. Likewise, that seems to have gone to the wall these days.
The tastiest dried fruit/nut mix (for me) is one from M&S but that is at an over-blown cost.
On that note, I'd rather pay a little more and have something tasty & enjoyable than something bland (just to fill a gap).
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy