Author Topic: (TR) Cadair Idris 9th February 2011.  (Read 6369 times)

Arenig

• Veteran Member
(TR) Cadair Idris 9th February 2011.
« on: 15:00:49, 10/02/11 »
Yesterday saw myself and Dave (my daughters partner) travelling down the A487 in Gwynedd, to take on the might that is Cadair Idris. Our chosen route for the day was to ascend to the summit of Penygadair via the infamous Minffordd Path.

This route was to take us up past the waterfalls at Dol y Cae, which I have to say looked quite superb today in spate and then on into the spectacular Cwm Cau. We felt at this point, that after negotiating the staircase all the way up to here that we should take a quick refreshment break before we continued up onto the Craig Lwyd ridge that was to take us up to the summit of Craig Cwm Amarch at 791m. From the summit we unfortunately had to descend into Craig Cau, losing approx 80m of height in the process, before we commenced our final push up to the summit of Penygadair at 893m. From the summit we decided to continue on and to complete the full ridge east to Gau Graig at 683m, taking in the impressive top of Mynydd Moel at 863m en route.

Pease note: For anyone contemplating taking on our chosen route themselves, please be warned, that the descent off Gau Graig is very steep in places, often requiring the need to scramble down. In fact I occasionally found the need to use of my bum at times simply to complete this descent.

The weather though dry for the best part of the day, turned out to be somewhat dull and overcast. However, with a relatively high cloud base, all the tops of Snowdonia, with the exception of Yr Wyddfa were clearly visible to us, which again made a pleasant change.

I personally found the ascent quite tough going in places, though the workout was welcome and very worth while, as I continue to improve my fitness level in preparation for a four day trip next month up to Scotland.

Dave thoroughly enjoyed his first visit to the area too, but with him being a relatively newcomer to hill walking and unable to get out on a regular basis, he found the whole experience quite physically challenging. He will know doubt be suffering in work today.

Below is a printout of the actual route (plus profile) we took, it calculated, courtesy of MemoryMap to 13.1k (8.13 miles), with a total ascent of 991m. It worked out to be quite a long day too at 7 hours, which simply indicates just how tough this route really is.

Apologies for the poor quality of the photographs I’ve managed to take and post here, I unfortunately left my camera at home and had to make do on the day with my mobile phone. Hope you enjoy them none the less.

Looking up to Craig Cwm Amarch and Penygadair, from the Craig Lwyd ridge.

And looking back.

Peeping over the edge whilst at the summit of Craig Cwm Amarch, down to the waters of Llyn Cau.

Looking back to Craig Cwm Amarch from our ascent of Penygadair.

Dave apparently suffering and deciding to take a minute.

Dave at the trig point on Penygadair.

My turn next.

Looking east along the Cadair Idris ridge towards Mynydd Moel.

Cheers for viewing.

Robbo.
« Last Edit: 16:59:45, 10/02/11 by Arenig »
"YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE"

W.A.S.H.I.S. completer www.walkeryri.org.uk

Welsh Nuttalls completer www.nuttalls.com/mountains/wales

Cadairmanuk

• Veteran Member
Re: Cadair Idris 9th February 2011.
« Reply #1 on: 16:32:07, 10/02/11 »
Hey , how come everyones going up Cadair when I'm at work ???  Great report , and love to see my local mountain on the forum. 

Ben aka Cadairmanuk
http://www.facebook.com/Penygader    Bringing you all the very latest from Southern Snowdonia

altirando

• Veteran Member
Re: (TR) Cadair Idris 9th February 2011.
« Reply #2 on: 18:14:15, 10/02/11 »
I've always retraced my steps a little from Cau Craig and dropped down the valley to the top of the waterfalls. For a subsequent walk, try taking in the whole ridge from Cau Craig, keep on going beyond the main summit on to grassy slopes until you can drop down on to a lane.

mad max

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:26:40, 10/02/11 »
Sounds like a good day,was it as wet as the day me,you and stokescrambler did it?
Freeman of Tryfan.
Welsh Nuttalls completer.
I am a troll,beware.

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:50:49, 10/02/11 »
Ace. Every time I see a TR about Idris it reminds me of our first time up there 18 months ago. "shudder" :o   Then I remember the glorious day last year ;D . Great place and great photo's Robbo
Cheers O0

Tryfan75

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:35:18, 10/02/11 »
I'm embarassed to say that I've STILL not been up this mountain.  Clearly I need to sort myself out and change that asap.

Great report and pictures Robbo.

Thanks for sharing. O0

yeti

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:47:43, 10/02/11 »
Great photo's Robbo O0 . I'll have to venture that way sooner rather than later O0 .
R.I.P. Dave.

radder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:43:08, 10/02/11 »
Great photo's Robbo on one of Wales finest mountains  O0

Pease note: For anyone contemplating taking on our chosen route themselves, please be warned, that the descent off Gau Graig is very steep in places, often requiring the need to scramble down. In fact I occasionally found the need to use of my bum at times simply to complete this descent.

Have to agree with you about how steep Gau Graig is, the last time I was on Cadair Idris some daft sod was to busy texting and completley missed the path off Mynydd Moel resulting in a bit of bum work off this Ridge  ::)

yorksgal

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 22:03:28, 10/02/11 »
Great trip report Robbo O0

Thanks for letting us know about the steep descent part  - i'l know to avoid that as my knees aren't keen on steep descents :-\

Nice photos too  O0 O0

Mayaculpa

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 23:01:20, 10/02/11 »
Great TR Robbo with fantastic pics. O0 What a super day
If you can lead it to water and make it drink, It isn't a horse <(^_^)>

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mayaculpa/sets/

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #10 on: 23:38:16, 10/02/11 »
Great trip report and nice pictures thanks for sharing
Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

susiej

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 00:00:08, 11/02/11 »
thanks Robbo (nice hat) the photos are grand no need to apologise! I think it's brill that you are able to share this experience with your daughters partner; lovely! thanks for sharing your TR and your photos  O0
take it easy...but take it

www.yogaunionswansea.org

Micky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 00:40:48, 11/02/11 »
Nice one Robbo, looks like the weather wasn't to bad well it looks a bit dryer than in the Lakes on the same day. Great pictures considering they were taken on a mobile and great TR.  O0
Expect the best, prepare for the worst.

gotmeheadshaved

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 00:47:19, 11/02/11 »
Great TR and pics Robbo. I agree with Radder when he says Cadair is one of Wales finest mountains. I think it has some of the best views to be had anywhere in Wales, especially looking over towards Barmouth and the coast. I was really lucky with the weather when I did this last year. Would love to do it again...

Forum Meet up anyone???

Steve
Steve (gotmeheadshaved)

'Brothers, what we do in life, echoes in eternity'

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 08:35:43, 11/02/11 »
Great pics & report Robbo  O0   A walk I'd certainly like to do some day.

Tracey :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy