Author Topic: Hi to you all - Ben Nevis am i doomed?  (Read 4058 times)

ukmase

• Veteran Member
Hi to you all - Ben Nevis am i doomed?
« on: 21:38:29, 19/09/07 »
Firstly i would just like to say hi to everyone on this board. It looks a freindly place to post and has loads of good tips. I found the post on chafing especially useful O0

Myself and 6 others are climbing Ben Nevis for charity on 29/9/07. No-one has any real experience in climbing hills let alone mountains. I have been training for the event by climbing a local steep hill - Roseberry Topping 340m - 4 times a week  using the rather steep scramble route.
My one concern is the weather, and also a lack of map reading experience. What are peoples thoughts on this?
I have studied the map of the Ben and read several reports. It seems pretty easy to navigate up the old pony track but requires a bit of map and compass once on the higher section.
I am hoping the route will be busy so we can follow people up and down, will it be busy?

On another note - has anyone walked up Roseberry Topping - i love the place and have made up several of my own walks around the area.

Deerplay

Re: Hi to you all - Ben Nevis am i doomed?
« Reply #1 on: 23:08:41, 19/09/07 »
Paths will be fairly well defined on such a popular mountain, especially on the popular routes and I guess there will be quite a lot of people to follow if you do it at a weekend especially. Wouldn't have thought you'd have any navigational difficulties but its as well to have a map and compass/GPS if you have them available. Also mobile phone if your worried and really stuck in an emergency. Anyone know about coverage? They wern't invented when I last went up Ben Nevis! I think you'll be fine. BTW snow has just been reported falling in the Cairngorms. I guess Ben Nevis will have similar. See http://www.snowboardclub.co.uk/tb.php?1190188140,92620,
Will this wind be so mighty as to lay low the mountains of the Earth?

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:17:22, 20/09/07 »
Good for all of you.

You say you are going up on the 29, you still have lots of time to learn a bit of 'nav' ?
Even though there very well could be people on B/N for your own peace of mind, i would get some 'nav' done before you go.

Also their is a good chance of the white stuff on top, this time of year, so be prepared.

Sorry to sound a bit 'neg'. I think what you are all doing is great, have fun its a great mountain and Country, i like to spend my winters in the CG.

Lets us know how you get on.
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

peter60

« Reply #3 on: 11:23:26, 24/09/07 »
Ben Nevis is easy to navigate on the tourist path. It's virtually impossible to get lost, even in thick mist. Nevertheless, I would always take a map and compass.

It's a straightforward climb, but long... very long. Allow 4 hours to go up and 3 hours to come down. Mobile reception on the Ben is pretty good, especially at altitude.

Check out the webcam and weather forecast.

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:06:26, 24/09/07 »
Firstly i would just like to say hi to everyone on this board. It looks a freindly place to post and has loads of good tips. I found the post on chafing especially useful O0

Myself and 6 others are climbing Ben Nevis for charity on 29/9/07.
No-one has any real experience in climbing hills let alone mountains. I have been training for the event by climbing a local steep hill - Roseberry Topping 340m - 4 times a week  using the rather steep scramble route.
My one concern is the weather, and also a lack of map reading experience. What are peoples thoughts on this?
I have studied the map of the Ben and read several reports. It seems pretty easy to navigate up the old pony track but requires a bit of map and compass once on the higher section.
I am hoping the route will be busy so we can follow people up and down, will it be busy?

On another note - has anyone walked up Roseberry Topping - i love the place and have made up several of my own walks around the area.
hi UKMASE, and good for you and your friends doing it for charity,can i ask what Charity? and also keep us posted on your progress and that, nice 1 bruv.
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:09:18, 24/09/07 »
Hi there and welcome! You could check the weather at www.mwis.co.uk which is really the only down side this is they don't update regularly.  I climbed Ben Nevis last year and found it much easier than snowdon which scared the life out of me just keep to the tourist track and it be fine. which is hard going but easier than snowdon.. Keep us posted and good luck. 
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

ukmase

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:26:14, 24/09/07 »
Cheers for the info, just hope the weather holds out, cant see us getting up safely in a blizzard.
We are raising money for Cancer Research anyone who can spare a few quid please visit

www.justgiving.com/paulmase

I will post my report when i get back.

PS Just bagged my first Marlynn this weekend -  a solo walk up  the top of Gisborough Moor. 5 1/2 mile round trip.

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 14:35:54, 26/09/07 »
 O0 HI.., Ive just been on your just give site..,have you reached your total as the picture of the FUND THERMOMETRE was FULL so i was just wondering if its finished now.., WELL DONE by the way..,GOOD LUCK.
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

ukmase

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 20:56:23, 26/09/07 »
We are doing The Ben this Saturday and yes we have reached our goal. The weather is gettting volder by the day though  :-[

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 09:37:33, 03/10/07 »
Well done on reaching your goal  O0

ukmase

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 09:40:38, 03/10/07 »
Well we all made it and the weather was really good. Im still aching a bit now. I would reccomend this climb to everyone. The views were fantastic. I am really hooked on walking up hills/mountains now.

I think i may well take up peak bagging !!

Got my eyes on the Lyke Wake Walk and C2C

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 09:44:37, 03/10/07 »
The C2C is great, one of my favorite walks or you could try this one

walkingforlife.piczo.com  O0

ukmase

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 09:46:00, 03/10/07 »
I did that one a few weeks ago. Found it rather easy going  ;D

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 09:56:18, 03/10/07 »
LOL
             yeah me too   ;D ;D

Welldone, keep us updated on the C2C idea

Cheers Paul aka Forrestgump

ukmase

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 09:59:41, 03/10/07 »
I will do, i will probably be looking for a walking partner/group and due to my freinds hating walking i think i will use this site to get something going.

Anyone up for the Lyke Wake Walk - i cant navigate in the day time let alone at night !!! :o

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy