Author Topic: Summer Boots  (Read 1829 times)

Little Foot

Summer Boots
« on: 21:20:49, 04/07/20 »
Hi all. I could have asked this on the other thread recently posted but didn't want to hijack it.

Anyway, hoping I can get advice about boots for summer. My feet get a bit hot in the ones I have during summer (surprised I can remember that detail, seems a life time ago). My current ones are cheapo Mountain Warehouse ones, which have served me well.

I need boots as I have a very weak ankle. I went for a walk last week in trainers and ended up hitting the deck twice. I was able to walk it off but was left a touch sore.

I'm looking for something waterproof, I like a wide fitting too with a wide toe box. Am I best going for synthetic or leather material? I am prepared to prepared to spend up to £150, but would consider more. Any suggestions please?

Thanks all.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Summer Boots
« Reply #1 on: 21:44:04, 04/07/20 »
I have had three pairs of Berghaus Superlights, full leather they give me no problems and they are waterproof. I paid less than £80 for mine.

I used to wear a pair of 'synthetic' Keen Targee's, large tow box, very comfortable but like other 'synthetic' brands I've bought, they soon leaked.

There are so many good brands out there, so difficult to choose.

Little Foot

« Reply #2 on: 23:05:39, 04/07/20 »
Thanks for your response. I wasn't sure if boots were mainly for winter and it'd be impossible to find boots that didn't make your feet hot in summer, or even if the type of waterproofing made a difference. I've bought some thinner socks so that should help. I like the vintage-style leather boots. I was looking at Keen and Brasher.

dittzzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 00:40:16, 05/07/20 »
I have the same problem, a weak ankle, a really nasty twist 15 years ago means I can't afford the slightest turn on it.  Very painful.
Like gunwharfman, I wear lightweight leather boots (Altberg Fremington's, pricey, but I've had them for 8 years now).  Feet don't get hot in the summer :) :)

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 07:51:01, 05/07/20 »
I too have a weak ankle from an injury while at school. I always wear boots when walking off road. I had some Scarpa leather boots for many years, but now find the brand too narrow. I have some Merrell Moab2 boots that are quite light and have a wide toe box. I find these comfortable and they haven’t leaked yet. I also have a pair of Altberg Tetheras for rougher / wetter terrain, but these have yet to be used in anger due to injury and then the lockdown.

If you have a weak ankle, I would make sure that your boots give you good protection, as a twisted or sprained ankle miles from the road won’t be much fun. My Merrells have prevented me turning my ankle over several times.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:18:05, 05/07/20 »
Mrs N would give a +1 for Altberg Lady Fremingtons.  She wears them year round and absolutely swears by them.
Solvitur Ambulando

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 10:41:29, 05/07/20 »
I've got a pair of Berghaus, they have been perfect from the start. Just under £100, got them from GoOutdoors where the assistant was very helpful. I need a wide fitting because of my bunions, he said Berghaus are the widest fitting they have. I wear two pairs of socks, a thin and a thick pair. I have never noticed my feet being hot and I wear them all the year round.

I need to make a trip to GoOutdoors there are some things I need, I shall be buying another pair the same. I think it's important to buy from a shop and try on several pairs. I wouldn't buy boots online.

Ilona

Little Foot

« Reply #7 on: 11:03:20, 05/07/20 »
Thanks for your thoughts all. My injury was about 20 years ago when I went down a small flight of steps, slipped, missed a couple of steps and stood directly on my ankle. Ouch! I have a very high instep too which doesn't help when finding a good fit of footwear. My son has definitely inherited that, as well.

I am going to Go Outdoors FOB, either today or this week, so will look at the Berghaus to see if they have any good offers on.

I do like the Altberg's Fremington's in that they seem lightweight and definitely suited for summer with a good price point, but I prefer the look of the Tetheras except they are a little on the pricey side. Ideally I want to try them on in store so might try a little hiking trip where they are stocked and hopefully pick some up, if I don't find anything suitable in the meantime.

Out of the Altbergs, I think it might have to be the Fremington's as £50 difference is pushing it a bit.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 11:06:49, 05/07/20 »
You may be able to get a discount on Altberg boots. I got 15% at my localish dealer. That could bring the price closer to your budget. In the end, price won’t determine how well the boots fit, but may affect how long they last. Altberg premier dealers can adjust the boots in store for fit and there are up to 5 width fittings.

Little Foot

« Reply #9 on: 13:15:36, 05/07/20 »
The nearest stockist to me is Sheffield, 70 miles away. Nice area to go for a walk tho. Will definitely be making sure they have some before I arrange anything tho lol.

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 13:50:05, 05/07/20 »
Depending on whether you are N/S/E/W of Sheffield then it is worth going to Altberg's factory shop in Richmond, North Yorkshire. Lots of choice and advice, perhaps try phoning them first to check that they have a few suitable boots for you to try. Use Sat-Nav as not easy to find otherwise!

Little Foot

« Reply #11 on: 14:37:32, 05/07/20 »
I'm on the east coast, and don't have a car so would be using public transport. I will consider going there tho as I bet it is a nice area for walking.

dittzzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 21:12:01, 05/07/20 »
It's a brilliant area for walking......  I should know!
Going to the factory to get your Altberg boots is THE best way.  They usually have every size and width in stock. ;D O0   And they don't just have Altbergs, I got my Meindl's from there a couple of years ago.   You can even do a factory tour - (although I'm not sure they are doing those at the moment). 

I think you have to make an appointment at the moment, and free for all on Saturday, as long as there is no-one else in the shop.

As for the walking....... Best one from Richmond goes up Willance's leap and beyond.  :D :D

Little Foot

« Reply #13 on: 08:56:14, 06/07/20 »
It's a brilliant area for walking......  I should know!
Going to the factory to get your Altberg boots is THE best way.  They usually have every size and width in stock. ;D O0   And they don't just have Altbergs, I got my Meindl's from there a couple of years ago.   You can even do a factory tour - (although I'm not sure they are doing those at the moment). 

I think you have to make an appointment at the moment, and free for all on Saturday, as long as there is no-one else in the shop.

As for the walking....... Best one from Richmond goes up Willance's leap and beyond.  :D :D

Thanks for the info. Looks like I'm best making a proper trip of it and maybe spending a night in the area. Might not get to do it this year with things being as they are though. I'm not in a hurry to get them so will bide my time I think.

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 10:24:54, 08/07/20 »
I've got a pair of Berghaus, they have been perfect from the start. Just under £100, got them from GoOutdoors where the assistant was very helpful. I need a wide fitting because of my bunions, he said Berghaus are the widest fitting they have. I wear two pairs of socks, a thin and a thick pair. I have never noticed my feet being hot and I wear them all the year round.
I need to make a trip to GoOutdoors there are some things I need, I shall be buying another pair the same. I think it's important to buy from a shop and try on several pairs. I wouldn't buy boots online.
Ilona

Hooray, got my new boots, same as before, Berghaus Hillwalker11 GTX. £93.60. Managed to spend £183, new jacket, waterproof over trousers, wellies, and other bits and bobs. Changing rooms closed but can try jackets on in the shop. Can only try on three pairs of boots, but I knew what I wanted anyway. All kitted out now. Now need to find a campsite.

ilona

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy