Author Topic: Phone Brand  (Read 5358 times)

GoneWest

Re: Phone Brand
« Reply #45 on: 19:59:41, 09/04/21 »
Anyone going walking should register their phone with the emergency SMS service.  An SMS may get through when a voice call will not.

https://www.emergencysms.net/

Good advice! I shall be doing this now that I've got a 4-network SIM with a single number. Before, it might have been confusing for me and the emergency services to deal with separate numbers possibly going in and out of range. Not that that constitutes a reasonable excuse, perhaps, for not having set up for SMS contact before now.  ::)

Casual Ambler

« Reply #46 on: 20:19:35, 09/04/21 »

Emergency calls can be made on any mobile phone network, not just your own. If you are somewhere where your network doesn't have reception but another does, you get Emergency Calls Only.

This sortof negates the need for a universal sim surely.

The SMS register is a good idea  O0
quod tibi non vis fieri, alteri ne feceris

GoneWest

« Reply #47 on: 20:24:17, 09/04/21 »

Emergency calls can be made on any mobile phone network, not just your own. If you are somewhere where your network doesn't have reception but another does, you get Emergency Calls Only.

This sortof negates the need for a universal sim surely.

The SMS register is a good idea  O0

On the contrary, that is the problem! You can call the ES on any network but if they need to call you back they will call your number on your own network, and you might not get the call!

Casual Ambler

« Reply #48 on: 20:34:22, 09/04/21 »
Seems a little bit daft.

I suppose they rely on you staying on the line. But if you've called them and it's using any available network it's not going to lose connection that readily. Even if it does you can call them back..... I suppose. 

quod tibi non vis fieri, alteri ne feceris

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: 14:05:37, 11/04/21 »
I've had my Xiaomi Redmi 8T (Android 10) for over a year now and I couldn't work out why 'myphoneexplorer' programme on my PC only transferred some of my information between the two. For example, all of my diary entries on my PC wouldn't transfer to my phone at all. The problem is now solved.

I just had to go to 'Settings,' 'my device,' 'MIUI version,' tap a few times on the screen until it told me I was now a 'developer'. Then back to 'settings,' scroll down to 'developer options,' and slide the screen button to 'On.' Then scroll down to 'USB debugging,' and slide the screen button to 'On.' All done, everything is now working as it should be.

My previous Xiaomi phone (Android 8) did not work like this at all which I why I was confused.

If you use 'myphoneexplorer' on your PC is this a problem with other Android phone brands or is it just a Xiaomi issue??

ImperialJohn

« Reply #50 on: 04:20:56, 16/04/21 »
I used to use a Motorola Defy 10 years ago. It was okay. Could use it underwater in the bath. It could be dropped a lot. The screen was fairly solid. The only issue with "rugged" phones is they still use lithium batteries so will not perform so well in colder weather and shut down. Today most modern smartphones are slightly more rugged, waterproof, can be dropped more so there doesn't seem to be as much need for rugged ones.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #51 on: 08:31:12, 16/04/21 »
Cross linking from the charging thread:

Recharge time is another consideration when replacing your phone.  Typically mine takes about  20 min to get back to 100% if I recharge it daily.  It is a consideration when scrounging a charge.
Solvitur Ambulando

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #52 on: 09:05:46, 16/04/21 »
My current hand-me-down phone from my wife, a Samsung Galaxy S10, has wireless charging. Since I've always kept my phone by my PC, it tops up the battery whenever I put it down so I've no idea how long charging takes...  :)

Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Squacco

« Reply #53 on: 23:02:15, 20/04/21 »
Just do a review on the best budget smartphones and you will get a host of info on why you should nt through money away buying an overpriced Samsung or Iphone. £150 to £200  will get you something like one of the top budget phones with a fast processor, great camera and a big battery of 5000 Mah. Personally I like the Moto G9 Power at around £200 if I was buying a new one today. I ve had the Moto G7 Power for two years, dropped it on concrete a couple of time s ,and got away with it Very poplar budget phone and much better all round than a cheaper Samsung

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #54 on: 08:53:07, 21/04/21 »
I'm very happy for my wife to "throw away" money buying top-of-the-range Samsung Galaxy phones, because every year or two I get her old one for free (and pass on my old one to one of my daughters for free!).  O0

Although I send or receive a few texts each week and make the rare phone call, I use my phone almost exclusively as a convenient camera and for (probably imagined) security when I'm out on my own. Call me old-fashioned (or just old), but I prefer to do all my other computing activities on a 32" PC screen than on a miniature phone screen, while I use a GPS watch or handheld GPS on walks and runs.

And the thing I've found about Samsung Galaxy S(n) phones is that the cameras somehow just keep getting better and better. I could go back further in time, but three years ago I was delighted with the quality of the photos I was taking with my Galaxy S7. Then I was given a Galaxy S9 Edge, which was even better. I currently have a Galaxy S10, which is better still... while my wife now has a Galaxy S21 Ultra that takes absolutely incredibly great photos!

The problem is though, that her latest phone is too big to fit my phone pouch on my backpack, so I might have to pass next year...  ;)
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #55 on: 10:03:12, 21/04/21 »
I'm with you on this one, I too prefer to use my 32" monitor (was my son's TV) for my PC work. I sometimes have to work from my phone but if I do I use a 'screen pen' from PC would, £1.99 for two if I remember correctly. If I want to ensure accuracy(e.g. sending an email) I prefer to use my small foldable bluetooth keyboard.

In many ways, I've slipped into using my phone too often and I regret that, it's just too easy sometimes to just grab at it.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #56 on: 11:33:07, 21/04/21 »
Never mind the phone - what to wear with it is the question.  For me, I like Craghoppers Kiwi Classic trousers with a big flat pocket on the thigh.  My phone lives in there.  Easy to get to while on the go, comfortable against the body and no chance of the phone getting sat on or falling out.
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy